News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Turkey for the EU!

Started by The Brain, February 04, 2010, 04:28:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

I guess I'm not used to murder rates in countries without guns.  Even still, Turkey doesn't seem to be as developed as Germany, their murder rate should be many times that of Germany.

DisturbedPervert

Wiki's list of countries by murder rate has Turkey's at a bit higher than the USA, at 6.23 per 100k, which would give them about 4500 per year, if it's correct.

Tamas

I was told that their recent pro-religious laws are in fact, -despite all signs pointing to the opposite- liberal policies supported by an overwhelmingly liberal Turkey.
So do not worry. :)

Martinus

There were 759 murders/manslaughters in Poland in 2008. The population is 38 million. That's almost exactly 2 per 100k.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on February 05, 2010, 01:43:27 AM
Quote from: DGuller on February 04, 2010, 06:05:19 PM
I call BS on the murder figure.  No fucking way it is 400 in a country of, what, 70-80 million?

Germany, with a similar size of population, had 370 homicide victims in 2008, and again as many attempted murders. Also, 97.6% of the cases were solved.

That fits well with Derrick and Der Alte efficiency :)

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: HVC on February 04, 2010, 05:58:42 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on February 04, 2010, 05:58:15 PM
Also we let the bloody Greeks in.  I'd take Turkey over Greece any day.
Great minds! :lol:

No honour killings and no islamist governement in Greece though :D
Everybody has his own priorities I guess ;)

Martinus

I checked the wiki page and it seems it is ever lower for Poland, i.e. about 1.3 in 2008. It's amazing we went down from 5.6 in 2000. I guess all our murderers went to the UK.  :bowler:

Tamas

Quote from: Martinus on February 05, 2010, 03:02:02 AM
I checked the wiki page and it seems it is ever lower for Poland, i.e. about 1.3 in 2008. It's amazing we went down from 5.6 in 2000. I guess all our murderers went to the UK.  :bowler:

You can stop jerking on the  Polish flag, you know your country will collapse eventually. It IS Poland.

The Larch

Quote from: Martim Silva on February 04, 2010, 07:36:07 PM
2. I'm divided on the issue, because rejecting Turkey would be the same as saying that Constantinople is not European (and giving up Cappadocia and Bythinia, for that matter), and that is really not accceptable.

Lets we forget!  :ph34r:

Don't be ridiculous.

Sahib

Quote from: Tamas on February 05, 2010, 03:07:52 AM
Quote from: Martinus on February 05, 2010, 03:02:02 AM

You can stop jerking on the  Polish flag, you know your country will collapse eventually. It IS Poland.

Historical analogy would lead us to believe that Hungary will collapse first, thought.
:nelson:
Stonewall=Worst Mod ever

Pat

Quote from: HVC on February 04, 2010, 05:58:21 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on February 04, 2010, 05:41:41 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 04, 2010, 04:56:36 PM
Turkey only has 400 murders a year?
That can't be true, surely?

Letting Turkey in is right because they deserve it once they've made some more of the necessary changes to solidify their democracy.  On the other hand we should kick out the Cypriots.

Edit: And the Baltics and Romania and Bulgaria.
Once you let in greece it became hard to keep turkey out. They're the same, excpet the turks are less annoying.

Quite right! I've been to Turkey and Greece several times, and they really are the same, except the Turks are less annoying. In Greece people would often talk to you about their dislike of Turks and of Jews (one time the guy running our hotel said Hitler might've been on to something). I was in Turkey during Greece's victory of the European Championship, and most turks didn't seem to care when I talked to them about it. Turks are generally more chilled out than Greeks, especially Turks from the western coastal areas. And if you talk to them they'll tell you most Turks who emigrate to Europe are poor peasants from rural areas who've practically never been to a city and give Turks a bad name.

Syt

Quote from: Pat on February 05, 2010, 07:11:33 AM
And if you talk to them they'll tell you most Turks who emigrate to Europe are poor peasants from rural areas who've practically never been to a city and give Turks a bad name.

Colleagues of mine from Istanbul have repeatedly said they were quite ashamed of their compatriots over here. As one said, "country hicks" come to civilization.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Quote from: patQuite right! I've been to Turkey and Greece several times, and they really are the same, except the Turks are less annoying. In Greece people would often talk to you about their dislike of Turks and of Jews (one time the guy running our hotel said Hitler might've been on to something). I was in Turkey during Greece's victory of the European Championship, and most turks didn't seem to care when I talked to them about it. Turks are generally more chilled out than Greeks, especially Turks from the western coastal areas. And if you talk to them they'll tell you most Turks who emigrate to Europe are poor peasants from rural areas who've practically never been to a city and give Turks a bad name.
Just don't dare mention Kurdistan to them.
Even in a non-independance supporting purely descriptive name for the region sense.
They get.... :ph34r:

Quote from: The Larch on February 05, 2010, 06:11:11 AM

Lets we forget!  :ph34r:

Don't be ridiculous.

I'm a bit uncomfortable with letting the Turks in now...those guys a are freaking huge.
██████
██████
██████

Pat

Oh, I assure you I always tip-toe around that subject  :lol:

My father once joked with the local turkish pizza-baker he should make the pizza extra good, as he was giving it to Öcalan. His reply? "I'll spit in your pizza."  :lol:

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Pat on February 05, 2010, 07:11:33 AM

Quite right! I've been to Turkey and Greece several times, and they really are the same, except the Turks are less annoying. In Greece people would often talk to you about their dislike of Turks and of Jews (one time the guy running our hotel said Hitler might've been on to something). I was in Turkey during Greece's victory of the European Championship, and most turks didn't seem to care when I talked to them about it. Turks are generally more chilled out than Greeks, especially Turks from the western coastal areas. And if you talk to them they'll tell you most Turks who emigrate to Europe are poor peasants from rural areas who've practically never been to a city and give Turks a bad name.

For some reason, the Greeks abroad do not engage in Turkish immigrant-like shenanigans so colour me skeptical.
They are more like Italians or even  Spaniards.