News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Apple to upset the tech cart on Wednesday

Started by CountDeMoney, January 26, 2010, 06:22:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Quote from: derspiess on January 27, 2010, 05:09:43 PM

Tablets by their very nature are luxury devices at any practical price.  They can't replace a smartphone nor a laptop (or even a netbook IMO), so they fall somewhere in the middle.  Although I've been wrong about Apple products before, I can't see the iPad doing too well, even among the kool-aid drinkers.

I don't know. There's a lot of peeps who just love Apple gizmos (not me, though I own an Ipod). I am actually imagining half the peeps posting on this thread have hard-ons just thinking about it. (which is not something I'm enjoying imagining.)
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on January 27, 2010, 05:17:57 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 27, 2010, 02:52:14 PM
Myself, I have trouble seeing where it'd fit into my life, although I think it sounds neat.

:)

Do you even have a cellphone yet, BB? ;)

No. :) :Canuck:

Edit: of course I said earlier on that requiring a monthly payment was a deal breaker for me.  It seems the iPad doesn't.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on January 27, 2010, 01:35:26 PM
Quote from: Berkut on January 27, 2010, 01:34:54 PM
Quote from: katmai on January 27, 2010, 01:31:12 PM
It's tiny

Back to the hardware. 0.5" thin, 1.5 pounds, 9.7" IPS display, full multi-touch.

They will probably have a iPad Maxi eventually, maybe even an iPad Ultra.

I'm waiting for the one with wings. :p

You son of a bitch, I was waiting all thread to use that one.  :mad:

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 27, 2010, 09:56:38 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 26, 2010, 08:38:16 PM
my 2c: e-book reader w/o electronic ink or equivalent fails.

Really?

It's exactly why it will succeed. E-Ink is too slow, can't handle video or color & is a pain to produce.

Really.  Because e-ink is by far the superior technology for *reading*.

I don't read books with video and most books that I have read since the 2nd grade don't have color so that isn't an issue.  In any event, e-ink like technologies with color will probably appear by the end of the year for those who have to have it.

Basic question re e-book reader: can I spend a full NY-SF flight reading the e-book in comfort?  Kindle, Nook, Sony, etc. all pass, as do all readers based on e-ink or e-ink like technology.  A stretch itouch with an ordinary LCD screen doesn't even come close, even assuming the battery could actually hold up.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Barrister

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 27, 2010, 07:08:56 PM
Basic question re e-book reader: can I spend a full NY-SF flight reading the e-book in comfort?  Kindle, Nook, Sony, etc. all pass, as do all readers based on e-ink or e-ink like technology.  A stretch itouch with an ordinary LCD screen doesn't even come close, even assuming the battery could actually hold up.

That's a question I have (having never used an e-ink reader), is do LCDs really cause that many people problems?  I wind up spending a good chunk of my day in front of an LCD and haven't found it that much of a problem.

That being said, I have trouble imagining my moving away from hard copy books to e-books, but who knows.

Apple promises 10 hour battery life, and while factoring in some "best case scenario" marketing speak should still be plenty for a cross-country flight.

Barrister

I surfed a couple of Apple "fanboi" type sites.  The reaction tended to be that this looks pretty cool, but many people were unsure if they'd actually go out and buy one.

Ed Anger

I've got an LCD e-reader, and I have no problems for 1-2 hour stretches. I have no idea if I could tolerate it longer, as I have no desire to read more than that at a time.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Hansmeister

I want one.  Since my birthday is up in March I might get one.

derspiess

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 27, 2010, 07:08:56 PM
Really.  Because e-ink is by far the superior technology for *reading*.

Yep.  For me, the closer you get to actual ink & paper, the better. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Grey Fox

There is real ink & paper for that.

I believe e-ink is bound to fail. The Solution isn't LCD, of course. Maybe that translucent screen shown at CES.

Re: the itampon. No multitasking? Windows 3.1 could multitask for the love of gawd.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Caliga

Quote from: Barrister on January 27, 2010, 07:20:04 PM
I surfed a couple of Apple "fanboi" type sites.  The reaction tended to be that this looks pretty cool, but many people were unsure if they'd actually go out and buy one.
Steve Jobs could take a shit in a cardboard box and put it up for sale with a pricetag of $899.99 and the people on Apple fanboi sites would think it looks pretty cool and would be unsure about going out and buying it.  :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DisturbedPervert

I'm surprised there's no camera on this thing.  A big webcam button to smash your paw against and old people could just pass this thing around and talk.

derspiess

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 27, 2010, 08:56:30 PM
There is real ink & paper for that.

Yeah, that's my current 'solution'.  But there's real value in being able to carry hundreds of books with you, in a device the size of or smaller than one of those books in paper format.

With ebooks getting cheaper, I may get one this year.

QuoteI believe e-ink is bound to fail. The Solution isn't LCD, of course. Maybe that translucent screen shown at CES.

Yeah, that's the popular buzz.  But I think it will last a bit longer, particularly if it's improved.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

ulmont

Quote from: derspiess on January 27, 2010, 09:51:27 PMthere's real value in being able to carry hundreds of books with you, in a device the size of or smaller than one of those books in paper format.

There's real value in not having to store hundreds of books in your house in physical form, period.

Barrister

But there's real value in having hundreds of physical books in your house. :contract: