News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Apple to upset the tech cart on Wednesday

Started by CountDeMoney, January 26, 2010, 06:22:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on January 28, 2010, 01:00:36 PM
It's a 1st gen hardware. So of course it's kind of broken. Needs real world user experience and input before it actually becomes useful, cheaper. Like the iphone, the 1st gen ones were bricks compared to the new models. never buy 1st gen unless you like being an extended beta tester.

my reaction to it as a whole= :mellow:

Oh yeah the bugs and such will have to be ironed out by the customers' feedback.

But do you really think the lack of a flash player, various commonly used ports, etc. are things that never crossed the mind of the Apple crew? Come on.

Crazy_Ivan80

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Tamas on January 28, 2010, 01:06:20 PM
Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on January 28, 2010, 01:00:36 PM
It's a 1st gen hardware. So of course it's kind of broken. Needs real world user experience and input before it actually becomes useful, cheaper. Like the iphone, the 1st gen ones were bricks compared to the new models. never buy 1st gen unless you like being an extended beta tester.

my reaction to it as a whole= :mellow:

Oh yeah the bugs and such will have to be ironed out by the customers' feedback.

But do you really think the lack of a flash player, various commonly used ports, etc. are things that never crossed the mind of the Apple crew? Come on.

I'm sure they did. But as others have also said: Apple (and lots of other companies) bring out unfinished products all the time. They are listening for what people scream the loudest about lacking, then bring out a slightly more expensive version with some of those changes, but not all, those are for rounds 2 and 3 etc.

It's all about getting people to spend money.
:p

DisturbedPervert

They don't want that stuff.  They don't like open systems.  No flash means no surfing the web for games or using flash apps, you go to their store if you need something.

Zanza

Quote from: Iormlund on January 27, 2010, 05:06:57 PM
Meanwhile I bought a crappy-brand car because it was cheap, well built, had a nice warranty, 5 EuroNCAP stars, independent suspension and chain instead of belt. And people who bought an A3 for twice what I paid look down on me. :lol:
EuroNCAP does not say that much as it is less comprehensive than American or Japanese crash test standards. You can optimize your car to fulfill just the 3 or 4 crash tests that EuroNCAP does. Renault did this a lot because they don't sell cars in America or Japan so they don't have to fulfill the more comprehensive criteria.

The Larch

Apparently, Fujitsu has the iPad name registered since 2003.  :lol:

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: The Larch on January 28, 2010, 01:46:47 PM

They must have worked something out with Fujitsu.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on January 28, 2010, 01:15:56 PM

They don't want that stuff.  They don't like open systems.  No flash means no surfing the web for games or using flash apps, you go to their store if you need something.

Not liking Flash has little to do with not liking open systems.  There are other means of streaming video, playing games.  They just make a point of not liking Flash.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: The Larch on January 28, 2010, 01:46:47 PM

According to what I was reading, it wasn't actually registered, per se.  The claim was never approved, considered abandoned and subsequently released by the USPTO and another pending filing has been going on since June.  They're banking on the earlier development to lay claim to the trademark.

Basically, it's a race to see who gets the paperwork authorized first.
Experience bij!

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Barrister on January 28, 2010, 01:58:25 PMThere are other means of streaming video, playing games.

Like going to the Apple store

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on January 28, 2010, 01:58:25 PM
Not liking Flash has little to do with not liking open systems. 

In Apple's case, I'm pretty sure has plenty to do with it.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on January 28, 2010, 02:31:37 PM

But Flash isn't an open system.  It's controlled by Adobe.   :huh:

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Berkut

Quote from: Barrister on January 28, 2010, 02:50:28 PM
Quote from: derspiess on January 28, 2010, 02:31:37 PM

But Flash isn't an open system.  It's controlled by Adobe.   :huh:

That is like saying Java is not an open system because Sun controls it.

:huh: indeed.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned