News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Apple to upset the tech cart on Wednesday

Started by CountDeMoney, January 26, 2010, 06:22:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ulmont

Quote from: Barrister on January 27, 2010, 10:02:59 PM
But there's real value in having hundreds of physical books in your house. :contract:

Only until you run out of bookcases.

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on January 27, 2010, 10:02:59 PM
But there's real value in having hundreds of physical books in your house. :contract:

There would be for me if I had more space :(
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Josephus

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on January 27, 2010, 09:15:16 PM
I'm surprised there's no camera on this thing.  A big webcam button to smash your paw against and old people could just pass this thing around and talk.

The lack of a built in webcam is rather suspicious. Think 2.0 and an extra $250.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on January 27, 2010, 10:33:15 PM
Quote from: DisturbedPervert on January 27, 2010, 09:15:16 PM
I'm surprised there's no camera on this thing.  A big webcam button to smash your paw against and old people could just pass this thing around and talk.

The lack of a built in webcam is rather suspicious. Think 2.0 and an extra $250.

Nah.

Apple's MO is that they don't raise prices.  Instead what they do is instead of lowering prices (since computer components get cheaper every year) they increase specs by adding features, and keeping the same price point.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Berkut

Quote from: Caliga on January 27, 2010, 09:00:50 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 27, 2010, 07:20:04 PM
I surfed a couple of Apple "fanboi" type sites.  The reaction tended to be that this looks pretty cool, but many people were unsure if they'd actually go out and buy one.
Steve Jobs could take a shit in a cardboard box and put it up for sale with a pricetag of $899.99 and the people on Apple fanboi sites would think it looks pretty cool and would be unsure about going out and buying it.  :)

INdeed, and some people on Languish, although I won't name any names, will say something like "Well, it is a pretty good price for an Apple product, although I am not sure I really need one...sure does smell nice though!"
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Tonitrus

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on January 27, 2010, 02:05:31 PM
It looks pretty cool.  I'm hoping they come out with a clamshell version with a keyboard attached to the bottom of the screen.

They'd probably have done better with a tablet-ized MacBook Air

Grey Fox

I like how, on languish, there was a serious lack of an apple fanboi that wasn't a fanboi for the bad reasons and BB came along & changed that.

Nature filled the void, it's beautifull.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tamas

All the left out features just scream of a 2.0 next year, and again shows the attricious arrogance of Apple. They know full well the fanbois will buy this nerfed release and will say "thank you can I buy it on double price please" when they release the proper one later this year.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 27, 2010, 08:56:30 PM
There is real ink & paper for that.

I believe e-ink is bound to fail.

e-ink has already succeeded.

The question is whether the the E-ink's Corporation's elabroration of the technology will ultimately prevail, or whether it will be overtaken by a competitor such as Qualcomm's Mirasol, which is rumored to be hitting the market in early 2010, perhaps through Amazon.

But either way there will be a market for e-readers that use a technology conceptually similar to e-ink: namely, one that closely replicates the ink-and-paper experience and provides long battery life.  The ipad as desgined in just not a seriousl player in that market.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

MadImmortalMan

I just made 500 bucks in the last hour shorting AAPL.

The iPad is a money maker.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Pedrito

b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 28, 2010, 07:32:39 AM
I like how, on languish, there was a serious lack of an apple fanboi that wasn't a fanboi for the bad reasons and BB came along & changed that.

Nature filled the void, it's beautifull.

Whats the "bad reasons"? :huh:

And I've always been an Apple fan.  First computer was an Apple II, parents have owned nothing but Apples since that same Apple II.  2 years ago I just returned to the fold. -_-
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DontSayBanana

Experience bij!

BuddhaRhubarb

It's a 1st gen hardware. So of course it's kind of broken. Needs real world user experience and input before it actually becomes useful, cheaper. Like the iphone, the 1st gen ones were bricks compared to the new models. never buy 1st gen unless you like being an extended beta tester.

my reaction to it as a whole= :mellow:
:p