News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

State of the Union thread

Started by Razgovory, January 27, 2010, 05:08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 28, 2010, 08:11:09 PM
At least you didn't say "Hod" or "Gawd". Goddamn moronic shit.

Well, I'm pretty sure we're rehashing this discussion almost post for post at this point.  I'm bailing.
Experience bij!

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Savonarola

Quote from: Caliga on January 28, 2010, 06:35:56 PM
btw I agree with Hans 100%.  I'm shocked he would drag the Supreme Court into a political bullshit speech like the State of the Union.

I agree, that was poor sportsmanship, but Barack needs to have voter anger targeted at someone besides himself if the Democrats are to maintain a majority in both houses.  That decision is perfect for him: unelected judges are allowing big greedy corporations to buy elections (at least that's how it was reported on NPR.)  That's two scapegoats for the price of one; a bargain if I've ever heard one.   :)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Sheilbh

Quote from: derspiess on January 27, 2010, 09:53:55 PM
I'm not a huge fan of State of the Union speeches in general, but his approach is getting annoying. 
Jefferson was right, they're a monarchical trapping of power.  You should go back to the President sending Congress a letter on the State of the Union.
Let's bomb Russia!

derspiess

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 29, 2010, 02:37:00 PM
You should go back to the President sending Congress a letter on the State of the Union.

Fine by me.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Hansmeister on January 28, 2010, 02:54:26 PM
And of course Obama is lying.  The USSC did not overturn the laws prohibiting foreign interests from "bankrolling" US elections, those laws are still in place. 

What prevents a foreign corp from spending on US elections through a domestic sub?  Foreign corps could do that before the ruling through PACs as long as they had the domestic sub fund the PAC directly and kept foreign nationals off the committee. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson