Previous topic - Next topic

... elope or have a wedding?

Male - elope
Female - elope
Male - wedding
Female - wedding
Neither - I'll never marry

Alatriste

Elope. The only good thing weddings have is telling women wedding ceremonies are a patriarchal imposition they should fight against.

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 17, 2010, 11:21:44 PM
Quote from: merithyn on January 17, 2010, 11:09:32 PM
:moon:
:ultra:

QuoteTo elope is to run off and get married without telling the family. That's exactly what I meant.
You can elope and have a wedding or you can elope and go to city hall.  You have the same options if you don't elope.  Your either/or is not an either/or.

Just noting, in passing, that there is a brand of ad hominim that says that I am supposedly the person who engages in these kinds of arguments.  Not sure what the graltards, Martards, and Sytards are gonna do to you if you keep proving their tired old winge wrong.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

I'm totally uncaring about getting married.
I will do it if I'm with a woman who really wants to (maybe I'll pretend I don't want to then I'll trade it for something I want....) but otherwise meh...
actually I'm maybe slightly opposed; I hate fuss and formality and being the centre of attention.
██████
██████
██████

Slargos

Quote from: grumbler on January 18, 2010, 06:33:06 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 17, 2010, 11:21:44 PM
Quote from: merithyn on January 17, 2010, 11:09:32 PM
:ultra:

QuoteTo elope is to run off and get married without telling the family. That's exactly what I meant.
You can elope and have a wedding or you can elope and go to city hall.  You have the same options if you don't elope.  Your either/or is not an either/or.

Just noting, in passing, that there is a brand of ad hominim that says that I am supposedly the person who engages in these kinds of arguments.  Not sure what the graltards, Martards, and Sytards are gonna do to you if you keep proving their tired old winge wrong.

I don't think the argument is that you're alone in this type of deliberate provocation, it's just that you're the god-king of nit pickers. :contract:

Grey Fox

Wedding.

If I'm going to go thru the paint of getting married, might aswell have the big party for it.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: grumbler on January 18, 2010, 06:33:06 AM
The kind of argument where someone asks a question about a word's meaning and you answer it?  Fucking Sytards should cut you some slack.

The Larch

Voted for eloping, then after reading the thread saw that it didn't exactly mean what I'd do, so I no longer know what I should answer.  :hmm:

Can you straighten up the meaning of eloping?  :P

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Larch on January 18, 2010, 08:20:55 AM
Voted for eloping, then after reading the thread saw that it didn't exactly mean what I'd do, so I no longer know what I should answer.  :hmm:

Only if fucking Sytard OKs it first.

Brazen

I eloped and I'd recommend it to anyone, more so as the years go on and I see how painful organising a big wedding is. When the day's about the two of you, why would you worry about the fact no-one wants to sit next to your cousin Stan and your Auntie Peggie's coeliac?

In the unlikely event I ever did it again, I'd nip down to the local registry office but book a pub afterwards for a knees up with my friends.

grumbler

Quote from: The Larch on January 18, 2010, 08:20:55 AM
The literal meaning is to get married without any of the legal attributes of marriage, including getting the permission of the parents, reading of the banns, etc.  Generally, it implied sneaking out and going someplace where one could get married without all the legal jazz.  In practice, it means getting married without having all the formal marriage stuff:  announcements, big ceremony, reception, et al.

So the question really refers to formal vs informal marriage.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Martinus

I'd have an extravagant wedding.  :homestar:

grumbler

Quote from: Slargos on January 18, 2010, 06:58:03 AM
I don't think the argument is that you're alone in this type of deliberate provocation, it's just that you're the god-king of nit pickers. :contract:
Oh, is that what the 'tards think?  Thanks.  I was never sure, because the personal attacks were always slathered on so thick, and were written by such morons, that I never quite got what it was they were always moaning about.  :ccr

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on January 18, 2010, 08:54:39 AM
I'd have an extravagant wedding.  :homestar:
More for the sake of those whom you would not invite than for the sake of those you would, I'll bet!  :cool:

Bayraktar!

Martinus

Is there a better reason to throw a lavish, extravagant party of any kind? :P

katmai

Quote from: Martinus on January 18, 2010, 09:11:12 AM
Is there a better reason to throw a lavish, extravagant party of any kind? :P

Your funeral! :w00t:

:P
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son