Female - elope
Male - wedding
Female - wedding
Neither - I'll never marry

The Larch

Quote from: grumbler on January 18, 2010, 08:53:38 AM
Quote from: The Larch on January 18, 2010, 08:20:55 AM
Can you straighten up the meaning of eloping?  :P
The literal meaning is to get married without any of the legal attributes of marriage, including getting the permission of the parents, reading of the banns, etc.  Generally, it implied sneaking out and going someplace where one could get married without all the legal jazz.  In practice, it means getting married without having all the formal marriage stuff:  announcements, big ceremony, reception, et al.

So the question really refers to formal vs informal marriage.

That's what I assumed, skipping the ceremony and going straight into cohabitation. The running away from the family thing threw me away. Thanks.

Ed Anger

I bitterly disappointed Seedy when I got married. I feel his angry gaze from Maryland.

As for the question, no more than a small church service. And a large-ish reception. OPEN BAR IS A MUST.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Malthus

When I was younger I disliked all of that rite-of-passage ceremonial stuff. But such events do serve a function: it is an excuse to gather together your family & friends. Now that my brothers are scattered to the courners of the world, I can see that this sort of thing is important. 

There has to be *something* in life to interrupt the endless round of work, playing video games, posting on the 'net, etc. and to gather people together for some actual face to face socialization (even for a bunch of introverted shut-ins, like most Languishistas  :P ).

Banging bridesmades and embarrasing, drunken revelations from random family members are just icing on the cake, so to speak.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Slargos

Quote from: Malthus on January 18, 2010, 10:32:17 AM
When I was younger I disliked all of that rite-of-passage ceremonial stuff. But such events do serve a function: it is an excuse to gather together your family & friends. Now that my brothers are scattered to the courners of the world, I can see that this sort of thing is important. 

There has to be *something* in life to interrupt the endless round of work, playing video games, posting on the 'net, etc. and to gather people together for some actual face to face socialization (even for a bunch of introverted shut-ins, like most Languishistas  :P ).

Banging bridesmades and embarrasing, drunken revelations from random family members are just icing on the cake, so to speak.  :D

My english, it not so good yes? You explain. What mean?  :huh:

Monoriu

I wedded her without spending the money.  Had full scale war with parents.  I gave them the middle finger. 

Malthus

Quote from: Slargos on January 18, 2010, 10:34:35 AM

I'm afraid non-hateful interactions with other humans may remain unintelligible to you, no matter what the language.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Monoriu on January 18, 2010, 10:38:44 AM
I wedded her without spending the money.  Had full scale war with parents.  I gave them the middle finger.

Our marriage was Mono-rific. We were students at the time, and our parents (who wanted a big invite list including *their* friends & various ancient relations) mostly ponied up the dough - but we got to keep all the presents.  :D

In short a net transfer of wealth from our parents to us, plus a party. What's not to like?

Slargos

Quote from: Malthus on January 18, 2010, 11:15:29 AM
Quote from: Slargos on January 18, 2010, 10:34:35 AM

I'm afraid non-hateful interactions with other humans may remain unintelligible to you, no matter what the language.  :P

We've come so far, you and I, Malty, yet you still do not comprehend.  :(

BuddhaRhubarb

thanks for the Buddha friendly choices, If i "had" to marry for some reason, I'd choose female and wedding as you get the fab dress etc. but otherwise I'm in the never marry column.
:p

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on January 18, 2010, 10:32:17 AM

I agree.  It's the same with funerals.  Sure, you can easily say "but we can all just get together without a wedding, but the thing ie people never do.  Therefore such events are important as excuses to get friends and family together, and to rebuild the social bonds.

I think the act of getting married is useful.  It's a moment of real solemnity when you stand up in front of a couple hundred people and promise to love and cherish your partner.  It just makes it feel different then mere cohabitation.

And for people who complain it costs too much?  Well don't spend so much!  Don't have it in a fancy hotel.  Don't spend thousands on a dress.  And despite what Ed says, don't have an open bar!  We charged $2 per drink (just enough to cover the cost of the booze), and people still had a blast.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Barrister on January 18, 2010, 01:27:02 PM

And for people who complain it costs too much?  Well don't spend so much!  Don't have it in a fancy hotel.  Don't spend thousands on a dress.  And despite what Ed says, don't have an open bar!  We charged $2 per drink (just enough to cover the cost of the booze), and people still had a blast.

Cheapass.

Your vassals will dislike you if you are a miser.

Barrister

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 18, 2010, 03:27:05 PM

Cheapass.

There's a lot of heavy drinkers in my family.

:blush:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Barrister on January 18, 2010, 03:48:18 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on January 18, 2010, 03:27:05 PM

Cheapass.

There's a lot of heavy drinkers in my family.

:blush:

Ah, Russians.

The Larch

Quote from: Barrister on January 18, 2010, 01:27:02 PMAnd for people who complain it costs too much?  Well don't spend so much!  Don't have it in a fancy hotel.  Don't spend thousands on a dress.  And despite what Ed says, don't have an open bar!  We charged $2 per drink (just enough to cover the cost of the booze), and people still had a blast.

Easier said than done. Two friends of mine got married last summer. They wanted to have a small-ish wedding with their friends and family, but the family of the groom were adamant in getting a lavish party filled to the brim with almost every acquitance they had, and ended up getting away with it and forcing the bride's family to bankroll a good chunk of it. My friends weren't even able to invite all the people they wanted because they weren't given many invitations for their discretional use.