Previous topic - Next topic

... elope or have a wedding?

Male - elope
Female - elope
Male - wedding
Female - wedding
Neither - I'll never marry

merithyn

I'm curious. Given your choice, which would you rather do? Have a wedding (small, large, simple, extravagant, doesn't matter) or elope with just your partner?

I had both, and while the wedding was a fun party, I can think of a whole lot more fun ways to spend the money. The eloping wasn't as exciting, but it felt more real. Over all, I prefer eloping over a wedding.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Razgovory

So does this mean you are going to stop posting about Max and your kids?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

merithyn

garbon

I've no idea, so I'll just say I hate this narrative about one and one's partner.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grallon

"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Grallon on January 17, 2010, 09:48:40 PM
What's (an) elope?
It's a verb.  You spirit your future spouse away from her parents' house and get married on the sly.

ulmont

Quote from: merithyn on January 17, 2010, 09:40:20 PM
I'm curious. Given your choice, which would you rather do? Have a wedding (small, large, simple, extravagant, doesn't matter) or elope with just your partner?

I did the wedding...probably large but not extravagant, as these things go (say 200ish guests, buffet dinner).  No celebrities were hired.

...if I had it to do all over again,* justice of the peace and get the hell out of town all the way.  My brother did something similar to my thoughts - sent an email to all the relatives from Vegas with pictures of the chapel.**

*And I won't.  This is a one and done situation.  Win or lose, only getting married once.
**Very tasteful.  Looked more or less like a church.  No Elvis impersonators or anything.

Barrister

We got married.  250 people, married in a church in a nearby town, reception in the town hall in my wife's home town.

Wouldn't have done it any other way.  It was an amazing party - people had a lot of fun.

And it doesn't have to be expensive.  For 250, we probably paid a few thousand dollars.  A whole bunch of aunts and grandmas came out to cook the food.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

PDH

Did the wedding, smallish, ok service, nothign special.

If I were to do it again, I would go for the marriage license and pay the court 25 clams.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Admiral Yi

Grallon:

Longer answer.  Elopement (the noun) has connotations of going against the wishes of one's parents (or hers, or both) and the expectation of no support.  Meri (who is Mexican you recall and often struggles with English words) seems to be using he word to mean "small wedding" or "simple justice of the peace ceremony." Or "cheap."

Razgovory

Quote from: merithyn on January 17, 2010, 09:43:41 PM
:huh:

I thought this was a round about way you to say you just ran off with some guy.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 17, 2010, 10:11:29 PM
Grallon:

Longer answer.  Elopement (the noun) has connotations of going against the wishes of one's parents (or hers, or both) and the expectation of no support.  Meri (who is Mexican you recall and often struggles with English words) seems to be using he word to mean "small wedding" or "simple justice of the peace ceremony." Or "cheap."

Don't confuse grallon.  An Elope is a type of deer.  An Elopement is wall made up of elopes.  Mostly it refers to the neolithic fortifications of north Africa.

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 17, 2010, 10:11:29 PM
Grallon:

:moon:

To elope is to run off and get married without telling the family. That's exactly what I meant.

DGuller

Having a wedding sounds like a nightmare to me.  So much nerve-racking preparation required, so many people in one room, so many speeches.  Not wanting to have a wedding is the second biggest reason I'm still single (after not having a woman that wants to marry me).

Admiral Yi

Quote from: merithyn on January 17, 2010, 11:09:32 PM
:ultra:

QuoteTo elope is to run off and get married without telling the family. That's exactly what I meant.
You can elope and have a wedding or you can elope and go to city hall.  You have the same options if you don't elope.  Your either/or is not an either/or.