Star Wars vs Star Trek - the ultimate nerd battle

Started by Barrister, January 05, 2010, 06:15:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which is the better sci fi series: Star Wars or Star Trek?

Star Wars
33 (45.2%)
Star Trek
36 (49.3%)
I like to pretend I'm not a nerd (even though I post on languish)
4 (5.5%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Tamas

In terms of nerd-dom and movies, Star Wars.

Not only it blows Star Trek movies out of the water, it was THE thing in my childhood.

And lastly, Star Wars has fans who are not complete and total nerds. The hardcore Trekkies however are the biggest nerds in the universe. Learning Klingon and admiring the communist dictatorship which is the Federation? Fuck that.

katmai

:rolleyes:

look at the goat herder aspiring to be a nerf herder.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Tamas

Quote from: katmai on January 06, 2010, 03:04:53 AM

I was actually shocked to learn that you and BB are such ST fans. I mean, I like you guys, and over here, a Trekkie is the lowest lifeform.

Sophie Scholl

Is Enterprise really that awful?  I saw maybe 2 or 3 episodes and it looked decent from what I remember.  I think that was the first season or two though.The concept seemed kind of cool, and Scott Bakula is still the man for Quantum Leap and cheers-ing Utica Club in the opening credits of the new show he's in.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

katmai

Quote from: Tamas on January 06, 2010, 03:09:49 AM
Quote from: katmai on January 06, 2010, 03:04:53 AM

I was actually shocked to learn that you and BB are such ST fans. I mean, I like you guys, and over here, a Trekkie is the lowest lifeform.

I was probably neck and neck as to which I loved till 1999.

Martinus

Quote from: Tamas on January 06, 2010, 03:02:22 AM
In terms of nerd-dom and movies, Star Wars.

Not only it blows Star Trek movies out of the water, it was THE thing in my childhood.

And lastly, Star Wars has fans who are not complete and total nerds. The hardcore Trekkies however are the biggest nerds in the universe. Learning Klingon and admiring the communist dictatorship which is the Federation? Fuck that.

Considering Star Wars fans started a fucking religion, this is incorrect.

Martinus

Quote from: Queequeg on January 05, 2010, 08:50:57 PM
Quote from: Neil on January 05, 2010, 08:43:11 PM
You're reaching.
Jedi Bindu and Prana Bendu? Spice as an addictive drug that has to be mined?  Zen and Koans in space? Really?  :huh:

They both take from world religions. Your argument is akin to saying Song of Ice and Fire takes from Lord of the Rings, because both got swords and castles.  :rolleyes:

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on January 05, 2010, 08:06:26 PM
Trying to be charitable to Marty it may be that Dr. Who wasn't played in communist Poland, so Torchwood is his first exposure to Dr. Who.

But even then - surely the new Dr. Who series is more popular than Torchwood?

It's just bizarre...

I haven't heard of Dr. Who until I saw Torchwood. :P

And most geek websites I frequent (admittedly, gay geek websites) are all creamy about Torchwood and couldn't care less about Dr. Who. :P

Viking

Quote from: Judas Iscariot on January 06, 2010, 03:11:51 AM
Is Enterprise really that awful?  I saw maybe 2 or 3 episodes and it looked decent from what I remember.  I think that was the first season or two though.The concept seemed kind of cool, and Scott Bakula is still the man for Quantum Leap and cheers-ing Utica Club in the opening credits of the new show he's in.

Enterprise suffers from the basic problem of canon. It can't go outside it. It can't have something significant enough happen that might be "remembered" in one of the later series. So it had to create a secret hidden and banned part of the galaxy with a secret hidden and later extinct (iirc) alien species. Not good enough.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Tamas

Quote from: Judas Iscariot on January 06, 2010, 03:11:51 AM

I knew it was going to suck when the first episode had several minutes of a hott black vulcan chick ultra-sound showering. Which was very nice, but also it hinted on a pretty fucking huge lack of plot ideas.

Syt

The worst Trek series is Voyager, because it totally sissified the Borg.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

katmai

black vulcan  showering? I don't know what bootleg version they had over there, but I don't recall such a thing.

Syt

Quote from: katmai on January 06, 2010, 03:36:36 AM
black vulcan  showering? I don't know what bootleg version they had over there, but I don't recall such a thing.

Maybe it was Tuvok?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.