Star Wars vs Star Trek - the ultimate nerd battle

Started by Barrister, January 05, 2010, 06:15:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which is the better sci fi series: Star Wars or Star Trek?

Star Wars
33 (45.2%)
Star Trek
36 (49.3%)
I like to pretend I'm not a nerd (even though I post on languish)
4 (5.5%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Caliga

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 06, 2010, 10:59:50 AM
Black Holes don't work that way and even if they did the Romulans wouldn't need any help from Spock to fix their Sun. Because unlike the Federation which relies on antimatter reactors, Romulan Warbirds are powered by artificial quantum singularities, so they're already experts on black holes.
NERD!
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Caliga on January 06, 2010, 11:15:57 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 06, 2010, 10:59:50 AM
Black Holes don't work that way and even if they did the Romulans wouldn't need any help from Spock to fix their Sun. Because unlike the Federation which relies on antimatter reactors, Romulan Warbirds are powered by artificial quantum singularities, so they're already experts on black holes.
NERD!
That was the response I was looking for. ^_^
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

You have posted too much anime crap to redeem yourself so easily.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Judas Iscariot on January 06, 2010, 03:11:51 AM
Is Enterprise really that awful?  I saw maybe 2 or 3 episodes and it looked decent from what I remember.  I think that was the first season or two though.The concept seemed kind of cool, and Scott Bakula is still the man for Quantum Leap and cheers-ing Utica Club in the opening credits of the new show he's in.

I thought it was good. But I think I may have been the only person. There were some crap episodes here and there, but all the series had those.
:p

Barrister

I remember thinking the concept of Enterprise was dumb, and by the time it came on I didn't watch much live TV anymore.  The couple of episodes I've seen in syndication seemed allright though.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Once you get over the stupid song & other inane concepts Enterprise is Ok.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Grallon

The problem with Star Trek is that it's been beaten to death and back.  They can't seem to let it lie.  And no the reboot movie didn't breathe any new life in it IMO.

Star Wars on the other hand has enormous potential.  When Lucas finally croaks and the rights to these movies are sold by his heirs, somebody with talent can have a go at a remake.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Octavian

If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

Neil

Are you kidding?  They can't remake Star Wars.  That would be an attrocity so great that the new trilogy would pale in comparison.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Quote from: Grallon on January 06, 2010, 12:40:59 PM
The problem with Star Trek is that it's been beaten to death and back.  They can't seem to let it lie.  And no the reboot movie didn't breathe any new life in it IMO.

I think ST did get over-exposed about a decade ago, the concept itself is hardly dead.  How can it be - it's ultimately a story of space exploration.  The possibilities are limitless.   There are nearly endless possible prosthetic foreheads they can still use. :P
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Neil on January 06, 2010, 02:02:24 PM
Are you kidding?  They can't remake Star Wars.  That would be an attrocity so great that the new trilogy would pale in comparison.

It would work if they made Han a woman.

Eddie Teach

A woman torn between her brother and another woman. I like it.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Grallon on January 06, 2010, 12:40:59 PM

Star Wars on the other hand has enormous potential.  When Lucas finally croaks and the rights to these movies are sold by his heirs, somebody with talent can have a go at a remake.

If it has such enormous potential why remake an already existing brilliant movie?  Make something new that is actually good in the Star Wars universe.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 06, 2010, 02:13:40 PM

It would work if they made Han a woman.

That sound was my childhood being raped.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Grallon

Don't be absurd - they just need to call Ron Moore for the remake - something dark and gritty.  :cool:

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel