Star Wars vs Star Trek - the ultimate nerd battle

Started by Barrister, January 05, 2010, 06:15:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which is the better sci fi series: Star Wars or Star Trek?

Star Wars
33 (45.2%)
Star Trek
36 (49.3%)
I like to pretend I'm not a nerd (even though I post on languish)
4 (5.5%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Barrister

Quote from: ulmont on January 05, 2010, 07:05:19 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 05, 2010, 06:43:21 PM
It's only Dune I disagree with.

The only parallels I really see are a desert planet.  Woo.

Child born with massive mysterious powers, lost other orders with the powers, rebellion against an Empire...

All seem to be a reach.

Has Lucas ever said he was inspired by Dune?  He has certainly acknowledged the other sources that were discussed.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

katmai

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 05, 2010, 07:10:12 PM
Quote from: katmai on January 05, 2010, 07:07:15 PM
Off the subject, but i thought Martinass left the forum?
Lasted about 16 hours :)

So about as long as his real life relationships, got it!
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

DisturbedPervert

Impossible to choose if you include everything from both series.  They both have some good as well as simply awful movies/series.

DisturbedPervert

Child born with massive mysterious powers, lost other orders with the powers, rebellion against an Empire...

Dune invented those themes?   :o

Barrister

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on January 05, 2010, 07:24:10 PM

Dune invented those themes?   :o

Exactly.  If you follow Spellus's link, it also credits LotR, 2001, Forbidden Planet, the Wizard of Oz, and Ben-Hur as inspiration.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Caliga

Quote from: Martinus on January 05, 2010, 07:02:37 PM
I think it is a recent phenomenon, and I think (could be wrong) that this is a result of the international popularity of Torchwood which was broadcasted internationally.
Nope.  When I was a kid (like in elementary school), circa 1985 a friend and I used to watch Dr. Who all the time.  He was such a big fan that his mom made him a Dr. Who costume which he wore not only for Halloween, but other times at random, just for the hell of it.  Also he had a pet cat he named "Tardis". :nerd:

Also when I was in college I had a professor named "Dallek" and another friend and I used to make Dr. Who jokes all the time about that guy.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Brain

As the question is about which is the better sci fi series I can't believe people who vote Star Wars. Star Wars only qualifies as sci fi in the widest sense; it is fantasy.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Grey Fox

Star Trek, hands down.

I don't hate Star Wars but I don't like the original 3 movies as they didn't aged well at all.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Neil

Quote from: Queequeg on January 05, 2010, 06:24:07 PM
Frank Herbert almost sued Lucas.
:lol:

That only proves that Herbert is a little bit crazy/stupid.

That'd be like Anne Rice suing that Twilight bitch.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Martinus on January 05, 2010, 07:05:20 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 05, 2010, 06:49:34 PM
Star Wars but only if you ignore the last three movies.  Of course if you pick ST you have to ingnore so much more.

But both pale in comparison to Babylon 5.

Battlestar Galactica (the new one - Starbuck is a chick!) is better than any of the mentioned.
Fuck you you filthy fucking Russian.  You should get your dumb fucking hypochondriac ass checked out, because I think AIDS is rotting your brain.

My wife got me the old Battlestar Galactica for Christmas.  It is so much better than the new abomination.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Maximus

I'm not a fan of most science fiction, but I'm especially not a fan of the star wars/Dune genre. Yes they do share that much in that they're not so much science fiction as some sort of mutated crossbreed between sci-fi and fantasy, like someone got the past and the future confused.

Faeelin

Quote from: Martinus on January 05, 2010, 07:02:37 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on January 05, 2010, 06:59:36 PM
I had no idea Dr. Who had international recognition far less fans :mellow:

Weird.

I think it is a recent phenomenon, and I think (could be wrong) that this is a result of the international popularity of Torchwood which was broadcasted internationally.

... No?

Neil

Dr. Who was on regularily when I was a kid.  Every weekend Tom Baker would be on my TV.