Star Wars vs Star Trek - the ultimate nerd battle

Started by Barrister, January 05, 2010, 06:15:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which is the better sci fi series: Star Wars or Star Trek?

Star Wars
33 (45.2%)
Star Trek
36 (49.3%)
I like to pretend I'm not a nerd (even though I post on languish)
4 (5.5%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Martinus

Martinus

To answer the question, let me first say that of the two, I have always considered Star Wars to be horribly overhyped. To me both are fairly similar in terms of the story originality and creativity (I mean Star Trek has become the space opera "cliche" simply because it was that popular and it established the genre - much the same way Lord of the Rings established fantasy); still Star Wars seems to have crazy fanboys who think Jedi is deep and spiritual; whereas Star Trek is mainly a butt of nerd jokes.

However, to me at least Star Trek presents a world socially engineered to my liking much more than the pseudo-feudal Star Wars setting (midichlorians :bleeding: ) so I'm going with Star Trek.

Sheilbh

I had no idea Dr. Who had international recognition far less fans :mellow:

Weird.
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Martinus on January 05, 2010, 06:58:32 PM
However, to me at least Star Trek presents a world socially engineered to my liking much more than the pseudo-feudal Star Wars setting (midichlorians :bleeding: ) so I'm going with Star Trek.

Idiot boy, Everyone is saying compare the first three Star Wars movies with Star Trek.  Everyone agrees the last three are terrible.

Martinus

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 05, 2010, 06:59:36 PM

Weird.

I think it is a recent phenomenon, and I think (could be wrong) that this is a result of the international popularity of Torchwood which was broadcasted internationally.

katmai

Quote from: Martinus on January 05, 2010, 07:02:37 PM

Weird.

I think it is a recent phenomenon, and I think (could be wrong) that this is a result of the international popularity of Torchwood which was broadcasted internationally.

:frusty:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Barrister

Weird.

Wrong.

It was long broadcast on PBS which is where I discovered it.  It now gets occasional playing on various cable networks.  And CBC, oddly enough, has been playing the most modern series of Dr. Who.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

ulmont

Quote from: Barrister on January 05, 2010, 06:43:21 PM
It's only Dune I disagree with.

The only parallels I really see are a desert planet.  Woo.

Child born with massive mysterious powers, lost other orders with the powers, rebellion against an Empire...

Martinus

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 05, 2010, 06:49:34 PM
Star Wars but only if you ignore the last three movies.  Of course if you pick ST you have to ingnore so much more.

But both pale in comparison to Babylon 5.

Battlestar Galactica (the new one - Starbuck is a chick!) is better than any of the mentioned.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

I can't believe that Torchwood's runaway international population with Polish gay lawyers and other flavours of gay (don't you people have TV shows with gay characters?) has been behind it, because Torchwood's not that big here.
Let's bomb Russia!

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on January 05, 2010, 07:05:38 PM
I even own the Dr. Who role-playing game. :nerd:
:bowler:

I never got into Dr. Who to be honest. Not enough gay sex.

katmai

Quote from: Martinus on January 05, 2010, 07:05:20 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 05, 2010, 06:49:34 PM
Star Wars but only if you ignore the last three movies.  Of course if you pick ST you have to ingnore so much more.

But both pale in comparison to Babylon 5.

Battlestar Galactica (the new one - Starbuck is a chick!) is better than any of the mentioned.

:x

katmai

Off the subject, but i thought Martinass left the forum?

Or does he suck at leaving as much as hortlund?

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive