News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

WWII games

Started by Caliga, January 01, 2010, 09:10:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

If you question the six million figure you're done for.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: The Brain on January 05, 2010, 06:14:55 AM
If you question the six million figure you're done for.
In that case, I won't.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Caliga

Having played it a bit more now, I can confirm that Hell's Highway is fucking awesome... I like it much better than COD: World at War, which I thought kicked ass.

It has this neat feature where, when you get a really cool kill, it does an 'instant replay' and shows it to you in slow mo.  I have an assault team which includes a guy with a bazooka and I ordered them to fire on a German MG nest, and in the slow motion replay one of the guy's heads fractured along a neat-looking diagonal fault line.  Later when I fought up to the nest itself I found both him and the other piece of his head like 10 yards away.  :menace:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

The Real Fleet Boat (v 2.0) mod for Silent Hunter IV is outstanding.

Tamas

Quote from: Caliga on January 10, 2010, 06:01:19 AM
The Real Fleet Boat (v 2.0) mod for Silent Hunter IV is outstanding.

I guess you didn't buy it on Steam. Mods crash my Steam copy, even with the mod-applier tool :(

Caliga

Nope, I bought it on Steam.  Just started my first patrol with RFB and have gotten to Midway for refueling with no problems.  My mission is to enter Tokyo Bay for photo reconaissance, so I'll probably die, but the mod hasn't crashed yet. :)

Tamas

Quote from: Caliga on January 10, 2010, 06:23:39 AM
Nope, I bought it on Steam.  Just started my first patrol with RFB and have gotten to Midway for refueling with no problems.  My mission is to enter Tokyo Bay for photo reconaissance, so I'll probably die, but the mod hasn't crashed yet. :)

I have tried two mods so far: a campaign generator one which ctds upon trying to start the mission, and a targeting system mod, which ctds upon opening a targeting window  <_<

Caliga

I am getting sporadic CTDs when using RFB but it's so much better than vanilla that I'm willing to put up with them.

Amazingly, I survived my photo recon mission and am now trying to escape from Tokyo Bay.  At one point I came within 100 meters of a Japanese cargo vessel and was more or less following it out of the harbor.  However, the water was so shallow there my conning tower was fully exposed and, since it was broad daylight, the watch on that ship *had* to have seen me.  Maybe they would have assumed I'm a Japanese sub as no American sub would be crazy enough to sail right into Tokyo Harbor.  :lol:

Caliga

I decided to switch from RFB to TMO (Trigger Maru Overhaul) with the Run Silent Run Deep campaign mod addon, because the damage model in RFB is too annoying--after I finished my recon mission I headed south toward Java to rebase and ran into a lone Japanese merchantman transiting from the Sulu Sea to the Sea of Celebes.  That fucker survived two direct torpedo hits (neither of which were duds) and well over 50 deck gun hits including at least a dozen waterline impacts.  My estimate is that the ship weighs like 2,000 tons.  :rolleyes: :ultra:

As soon as a booted up the new mods and started a new career out of Pearl, I was greeted by a Navy band on the dock playing "Anchors Aweigh" and a bunch of sexy nurses waving goodbye. :cool:

I then proceeded to sail out of my berth and fired four torpedoes into a Clemson class destroyer, to test the damage model of these mods.  The destroyer: broke in half. :smoke:

Alcibiades

Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Caliga

I got a mod that added a Honolulu radio station (Columbia affiliate) that plays Hawaiian territorial music with occasionally "We interrupt this broadcast..." news reports.  The news reports are authentic, from the CBS archives.  :cool:

Apparently right around the time of the Pearl Harbor attack there were persistent rumors that a Japanese "airplane carrier" had been sunk while trying to attack the Panama Canal.  Also, the Hollander authorities in Batavia, Java were quite confident they could easily repel any Japanese attack because all males had been required to undergo six months of military training for "several years now".  :cool:

Caliga

Also, the news package included a broadcast of the Pearl Harbor attack being announced.  Because the broadcast file is timestamped 12/7/1941 and the campaign doesn't start till the next day, you cannot hear it in-game, so I think they may have just included it for historical interest, and as it's an .mp3 file you can easily listen to it externally.

CBS was broadcasting a concert of the New York Philharmonic, and cut into the broadcast to announce... that a "troop carrier carrying lumber" had been torpedoed in the Pacific.  That's pretty much all they said, and then "and now, back to our program".  :huh:

I did a bit of googling and discovered that this was a reference to the Cynthia Olson, which was sunk by I-26 on December 7th 300 miles off California.  I didn't realize the Japanese had any submarine kills that early, because I had thought their sub fleet was strictly performing picket duty in Hawaii.

Anyway, so a few minutes later into the broadcast, they interrupted it again to announce that "the naval base at Pearl Harbor on the Hawaii territory island of 'oh-HOW-ooh' is reportedly under air attack by aircraft of undetermined origin. ... Now, back to the scheduled program."  :blink:

Like anyone would want to listen to some boring concert after that!  :lmfao:

Anyway, I thought it was interesting that they learned of the freighter's sinking before Pearl Harbor, and both times just went right back to the concert without staying on the air.

About two minutes later they finally broke away from the concert for good and started talking about Pearl Harbor nonstop.

Syt

Well, back in the time they didn't have near as much filler as news networks have today - live reports from the scene, eyewitnesses, commentators, experts, wannabe-experts, celebrities who speak about how they felt hearing the news ...
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

HisMajestyBOB

Cool stuff.
There's a Jap sub mod for SH4 that's under development on the SubSim forums.
Looks like I'll have to get SH4 when I'm back in the states.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Caliga on January 16, 2010, 12:27:03 PM
I decided to switch from RFB to TMO (Trigger Maru Overhaul) with the Run Silent Run Deep campaign mod addon, because the damage model in RFB is too annoying--after I finished my recon mission I headed south toward Java to rebase and ran into a lone Japanese merchantman transiting from the Sulu Sea to the Sea of Celebes.  That fucker survived two direct torpedo hits (neither of which were duds) and well over 50 deck gun hits including at least a dozen waterline impacts.  My estimate is that the ship weighs like 2,000 tons.  :rolleyes: :ultra:

As soon as a booted up the new mods and started a new career out of Pearl, I was greeted by a Navy band on the dock playing "Anchors Aweigh" and a bunch of sexy nurses waving goodbye. :cool:

I then proceeded to sail out of my berth and fired four torpedoes into a Clemson class destroyer, to test the damage model of these mods.  The destroyer: broke in half. :smoke:

Did you get a medal? :lol:
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help