Main Menu

WWII games

Started by Caliga, January 01, 2010, 09:10:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 08, 2010, 05:39:18 PM
Quote from: derspiess on February 08, 2010, 04:34:16 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on February 08, 2010, 07:21:02 AM
Decision in the Desert and Crusade in Europe by Microprose. 

Decision in the Desert kicked ass.  One of the few games at that time that factored in supply.  Battle of Gazala :wub:

I had Conflict in Vietnam as well, but never got around to playing Crusade in Europe :(

I loved NATO Commander. :wub:
I wish it was still kicking around.  Dropping chemical weapons on the Reds was fun.
PDH!

Caliga

Quote from: derspiess on February 08, 2010, 04:23:36 PM
Last thing I want to do in a sub simulation is do those stupid calculations.  Not sure why it even is counted toward realism, since that's not something you'd be doing as a captain anyway.  Granted, you wouldn't be manning deck guns either, but that part is actually fun.
I actually have turned manual calcs off in SH4.  I can do them and am fairly good at it, but it's tedious and I got tired of it after a few weeks... and you're right--not only was that task typically delegated (to a weapons officer, I guess) but US subs in WWII actually had a computer onboard to assist with the calculations.  I think the US computer (called the TDC) was the most advanced system used during the war, even moreso than anything the Germans had available.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Brain

Quote from: Caliga on February 09, 2010, 11:05:25 AM
I think the US computer (called the TDC) was the most advanced system used during the war, even moreso than anything the Germans had available.

Source? :mad:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: The Brain on February 09, 2010, 11:53:16 AM
I think the US computer (called the TDC) was the most advanced system used during the war, even moreso than anything the Germans had available.

The Arma Corporation.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

ulmont

"U.S. Submarines Through 1945: An Illustrated Design History" by Norman Friedman.  Page 195 per wiki.

The Brain

Quote from: ulmont on February 09, 2010, 12:05:54 PM

"U.S. Submarines Through 1945: An Illustrated Design History" by Norman Friedman.  Page 195 per wiki.

So your source is wiki? I have won this debate!
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

ulmont

Quote from: The Brain on February 09, 2010, 12:31:42 PM
Quote from: ulmont on February 09, 2010, 12:05:54 PM

So your source is wiki? I have won this debate!

:golfclap:  No, the source is the book.  I have verified that the index does reference TDCs on page 195.  After that it's up to you.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: derspiess on February 08, 2010, 04:23:36 PM
Last thing I want to do in a sub simulation is do those stupid calculations.  Not sure why it even is counted toward realism, since that's not something you'd be doing as a captain anyway.  Granted, you wouldn't be manning deck guns either, but that part is actually fun.
I actually have turned manual calcs off in SH4.  I can do them and am fairly good at it, but it's tedious and I got tired of it after a few weeks... and you're right--not only was that task typically delegated (to a weapons officer, I guess) but US subs in WWII actually had a computer onboard to assist with the calculations.  I think the US computer (called the TDC) was the most advanced system used during the war, even moreso than anything the Germans had available.

Is the manual calc in SH4 more complicated than in 3? In SH3 you just have to identify the ship (which is fun), determine the range and speed (where I usually cheat and use the auto-updating map), and the gyroangle (easy since I almost always fire at 90 degrees). For times when I can't be bothered to determine the data, or I'm unsure of the ship type, I can still have the weapon officer flawlessly do the calculations.

I know some people on the Subsim forums go to ridiculous lengths to calculate every aspect of the targeting, but most of that is voluntarily making things harder for yourself.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Caliga

Nope, that's basically it except you also have to set the torpedo depth, speed, and disable influence exploder if you want that.  The thing is with the mods I use, all of the unrealistic target data on the map is removed--all you get is a dot (basically a pencil point) at the ship's current location, which may be subject to misjudgment if you're underwater and/or surfaced in poor weather/lighting.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Caliga on February 09, 2010, 07:44:37 PM
Nope, that's basically it except you also have to set the torpedo depth, speed, and disable influence exploder if you want that.  The thing is with the mods I use, all of the unrealistic target data on the map is removed--all you get is a dot (basically a pencil point) at the ship's current location, which may be subject to misjudgment if you're underwater and/or surfaced in poor weather/lighting.

Ah, okay. Sounds more realistic - does the dot automatically update as the ship moves?

Yeah, SH3 has the depth, speed and influence thingy too. I always leave the influence thingy on, since it will still explode on impact too. Depth depends on the weather and if I'm aiming to break the ship's back, or just slam one into the side. Speed is always max speed.

Anyway, next week I'll buy the SH4 set, so I'll check it out then.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Caliga

Yes, it does update, but not as frequently and like I said subject to error (in my experience it's always a bit off, but the degree of error does vary).

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 08, 2010, 05:39:18 PM
I loved NATO Commander. :wub:

I played NATO Commander after having played the smaller-scale Microprose games and it felt-- weird.  It had the look & feel of those games, but was very different, and I never ended up playing it enough to figure it out.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

ZOMG!!!  The sub I've been the skipper of in SH4, USS Drum, is now a museum ship in Mobile, AL (apparently it's in some sort of drydock next to the battleship Alabama).  I'm now going to suggest to Princesca that we take our next beach vacation to Gulf Shores rather than somewhere in the Carolinas or Destin :shifty:

I just finished my fourth war patrol, which consisted of me going from Midway to the Java Sea, sinking two Jap fishing boats there, and then heading up to the South China Sea, where I sunk a seaplane tender northwest of Palawan.  I then crossed into the Sulu Sea where I had an incredible run, sending six large freighters to the bottom as I made for the Philippine Sea south of Davao.  I was down to two eels when I plotted a course directly for Midway... and promptly encountered a large convoy headed for New Guinea.  I fired my last two (stern) torpedoes blindly into the convoy and holed a freighter.  I waited for the destroyers to leave (they hunted me for like six hours, and apparently rescued survivors from the freighter) and then sent the abandoned freighter to the bottom with my deck gun.

End result: nine Jap ships holed for a total of 42,000 tons. :cool:  The Silver Star, a 4 inch deck gun, a twin 20mm machine gun, and SJ radar were my rewards. :smoke:

Caliga

Oh yeah, I forgot... after I attacked that convoy the Japs harassed me by air for almost a week on my way back to Midway.  I usually was able to dodge them, but once a patrol of Zeroes spotted me and dropped bombs on me as I was crash diving.  One exploded just astern and blew in my aft torpedo tubes and fractured the hull. :(  I was able to get the damage stabilized, but good thing there were no torps or their warheads might have exploded.  :blush:

grumbler

Bit of amusement:  Playing WitP Admiral's edition, and I formed a PT boat group to protect my base at Luganville.  I selected "automatically assign TF commander" and look who was assigned!  :lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!