News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What Baseball League should I start?

Started by Syt, December 14, 2009, 12:29:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I'm currently playing an OOTP game with a fictional league. I created a major league with 2x4 divisions with 4 teams each. I started them in 1976 and then let it sim through to 2009 to create a "history backlog" and took over the Pittsburgh Steeldogs (a decent, but not great team - Philadelphia Express are the dominant team).

Still, it lacks in character.

I could restart the Langish Baseball Lague, but that would only make sense with an AAR.

Other options I toyed with:
- World League, starting in 1901, with teams added/moved after WW1, WW2, Cold War.
- A North America League with Mexico, Santo Domingo, Cuba etc. added
- A history themed league, or one with the nations from Civ as teams
- A fictional league of 16 teams, starting in 1901, then expanding every ten or so years

Or just another historical league, starting in 1901, 1950 or 1960 or 1970.

Suggestions?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Baseball was a national obsession when it was 16 teams, 8 teams in each league with the winners going straight to the WS.  Expansion has led to it being less relevent.  Try it with that format and see how it works.  No divisions, balanced schedules with 11 home games and 11 away games against each opponent and the leagues do not play each other except for the World Series.

But make the teams wacky.  Like the Berlin Jellydonuts and the Moscow Mailorder Brides.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Ain't this the kind o' weather
For smackin' leather
For playin' baseball
The kind o' weather makes a man
Hit like hell!

*hock, spit*

Let's go, you sons o' bitches!
Let's see some pitches!
Let's play some baseball!
The Kraut is strikin' out again!
Schmidt, ya smell!

*hock, spit*

The Giants haven't got a prayer
Aah, yer underwear!
Up yer alley!
Go back to where yer mother once came!

Hit that ball!
Run, you bastard!
Kill the Kraut!
What a game!

*hock, spit*

Hey, Schnabel! Take your head out of your ass!
I guess that's telling him, huh?

At Harvard,
We were gentlemen
Men were gentlemen

So's yer sister!

We called each other "Mister", and...

Doyle, ya suck!

Don't listen!
Our games were very quiet
We'd never riot, we'd...

Eat that fastball!!

The worst we ever said would be...

Run, ya schmuck!

Don't listen!
Now there's this noisy rabble
This foreign babble
Who let this happen?!
There's hardly one American name!

Ja Herzog!

Hit that ball!

Stupid Polack!

Hit that ball!

Kill the Kike!

What a game!

*hock, spit*

It's Braves and Giants, Two to two.
The pitcher's name is Hub Purdue
Jack Murray's now
Up at bat...(ball crack)

My God, would somebody look at that!
Ain't this the kind of weather
To get together and

Bash their teeth in!

The kind o' weather makes a man
Hit like hell!

A fine, upliftin' atmosphere
Bring yer children here.
Teach them baseball.
The game all true Americans
Do damn well!
It's like the Constitution
The institution
Of dear ol' baseball
Where every man is treated the same!

Kill that Mick!

Run, you dirty Polack!

Spike that Kike!

Kill the Kraut!

What a...
What a...
What a...

Gaaaaaame!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Grey Fox

Hey Syt, did you ever find a good Football (not soccer) sim?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Sophie Scholl

I'm digging Valmy's suggestion, though I'd prefer more natural looking team names, maybe even a few historic ones.  Grab some team names and looks from movies like The Natural maybe.  Also, can you make a team based out of Utica, NY or Buffalo, NY?
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Syt

Quote from: Judas Iscariot on December 14, 2009, 03:39:24 PM
I'm digging Valmy's suggestion, though I'd prefer more natural looking team names, maybe even a few historic ones.

That's what I did. Sorry, saw your name only after I already set up the league:

There's one minor league level below that. I play with 162/balanced schedule, no interleague, best of 9 championship series. No draft, no spring training for now. Finances and strategy/stats are set to be based on realistic stats for each year.

There's a template for historical uniforms out there somewhere, maybe I'll download that sometime.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 14, 2009, 01:43:38 PM

I guess Front Office Football is as good as it gets. It's really amazing - every second rate soccer manager lets you have images for players, viewing the action in some way on the field (even if it may only be dots on the pitch), but for football there's little in that regard (Maximum Football seems to be an acquired taste). Maybe Collge Bound Football by Grey Dog Software may be worth checking out, or perhaps MF3 if it ever comes out.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

I love that one of the teams is from Atlanta.  I wonder how that really would have gone down in 1901 to have a southern team.  The real and alive hatred between the north and south was still going stong then as were alot of Civil War vets.

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on December 14, 2009, 04:49:38 PM
I love that one of the teams is from Atlanta.  I wonder how that really would have gone down in 1901 to have a southern team.  The real and alive hatred between the north and south was still going stong then as were alot of Civil War vets.

... as shows how southerners were greeted into the northern teams - often not too friendly, and usually at least picked on.

Considering how volatile the atmosphere in the stadiums was at the time I guess it would sooner or later have led to bloodshed if the old rebels would have joined the major leagues too soon. I mostly added Atlanta for shits and giggles. :P
—Stephen Jay Gould

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 14, 2009, 01:43:38 PM
NFL Headcoach is maybe your best bet.  It's not perfect, but it's fun.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

katmai

Hey Syt, i'd like to hear whatever format you choose, I personally like to play OOTP with a historical league starting in 1903, but with Free Agency to tweak those dynastys. And adding all the teams through expansion, but I change cities if teams have very low fan support for more than 10 years running to boot.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Syt

Quote from: katmai on December 14, 2009, 09:46:41 PM
I change cities if teams have very low fan support for more than 10 years running to boot.

Sounds like a good house rule. :)

I will probably look at the league parameters every couple years or so and tweak as necessary.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Alright, currently designing jerseys (three down, 13 more to go tomorrow, plus caps).

I also deactivated contract arbitration, financial sharing (luxury tax etc.) and players' rights to refuse being sent to the minors.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Sophie Scholl

Admiral Yi

Is there some story to the Cleveland 86ers or is it just supposed to be a spoof of the 76ers?