And we're back!

Main Menu

What Baseball League should I start?

Started by Syt, December 14, 2009, 12:29:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 21, 2009, 01:31:55 AM
Quote from: Syt on December 20, 2009, 01:45:42 AM
Note to self: create a Turtledove League Baseball of Union League vs. Confederate League some time.
Actually baseball didn't take off in that timeline, it was just a regional (New England) sport.

American Football became big early.

Cricket and Rugby were the big games in the US before the civil war.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Syt

Quote from: katmai on December 21, 2009, 01:20:48 PM
Ya know I'm not sure i agree with that sentiment. Yeah rosters have doubled, but looks at the size of available talent pool as well?

That presumes that the talent pool developed evenly and in line with the majors. But looking at minor leagues their number fluctuated between 300-450 in the 1940s and is currently down to 240 (though it appears to keep changing). 200 +/-50 seems most common, and seems to indicate that the overall players in majors and minors haven't changed all that much.

This of course doesn't include schools or colleges, and I'd gladly be corrected by someone with more knowledge of the subject matter. :
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sophie Scholl

Don't forget the massive influx of talent from the rest of the Western Hemisphere and Japan that wasn't there in the 1960's or only a tiny fraction of what it is now.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."