News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What Baseball League should I start?

Started by Syt, December 14, 2009, 12:29:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Man now I have to redo the entire league.  Oh well since I have all the logos and such it should be faster.

Anyway:

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Finally have all majors jerseys ready (too lazy to do the minors right now).

In some cases maybe too modern, and not exactly super inspired, but it'll do.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Syt on December 16, 2009, 12:00:53 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 15, 2009, 05:37:14 PM
Is there some story to the Cleveland 86ers or is it just supposed to be a spoof of the 76ers?

No story.
Weak.  It didn't even become American slang till the 30's.  Cleveland deserves better sir!  Why not bring back the Spiders name, or the Lake Shores or Blues?  The Spiders deserve a better fate than was given to them. :cry:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Syt

Quote from: Judas Iscariot on December 19, 2009, 05:17:15 AM
Quote from: Syt on December 16, 2009, 12:00:53 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 15, 2009, 05:37:14 PM
Is there some story to the Cleveland 86ers or is it just supposed to be a spoof of the 76ers?

No story.
Weak.  It didn't even become American slang till the 30's.  Cleveland deserves better sir!  Why not bring back the Spiders name, or the Lake Shores or Blues?  The Spiders deserve a better fate than was given to them. :cry:

Maybe there'll be a nickname change sometime in the future. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

sbr

Looks strange to see blacks in pictures like that, can you exclude them in the game?

Syt

Quote from: sbr on December 19, 2009, 09:18:29 PM
Looks strange to see blacks in pictures like that, can you exclude them in the game?

There's instructions somewhere on the mod boards how to setup ethnicities per country in the game data file (white, black, Asian, Hispanic, I think). I discovered too late there's a name pack for early ball, plus instructions how to create a "historical U.S." nation.

Problem with that is, of course, that in all other games that nation will be "plucked" for talent, too.

Also, I should have set foreigner percentage to zero. Having Japs, Chinks in the league and scouts reporting back from Africa seems strange.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Note to self: create a Turtledove League Baseball of Union League vs. Confederate League some time.
—Stephen Jay Gould

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Syt on December 20, 2009, 01:45:42 AM
Note to self: create a Turtledove League Baseball of Union League vs. Confederate League some time.
Actually baseball didn't take off in that timeline, it was just a regional (New England) sport.

American Football became big early.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 21, 2009, 01:31:55 AM
Actually baseball didn't take off in that timeline, it was just a regional (New England) sport.

I know that, but it could still be a fun "what if" scenario.
—Stephen Jay Gould

sbr

But not that early.  The first college game was in 1869; professional football was not taken very seriously until the 1930's, and then was still largely irrelevant until the mid-50's.

Valmy

American Football was also a regional (New England) sport in that timeline.  The Civil War made baseball a national sport and that was before American Football even existed.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: sbr on December 21, 2009, 03:20:49 AM
But not that early.  The first college game was in 1869; professional football was not taken very seriously until the 1930's, and then was still largely irrelevant until the mid-50's.

Baseball was king right up until the 1960s.  I think moving the Dodgers, the Giants, the Browns, and then expanding the leagues killed whatever magical spell the Majors held over the country up to that point.  Well that and the 1950s was a kind of Golden Age for the NFL with huge stars and great games at fortunate moments.

College Football, of course, was far more popular than the NFL until the 1950s. 

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on December 21, 2009, 10:27:15 AM

Baseball was king right up until the 1960s.  I think moving the Dodgers, the Giants, the Browns, and then expanding the leagues killed whatever magical spell the Majors held over the country up to that point.  Well that and the 1950s was a kind of Golden Age for the NFL with huge stars and great games at fortunate moments.

That, and the inflation of the MLB. You have almost twice as many teams in the majors as up until 1961. Where you had 640 players on expanded rosters you now have 1200 - this has to lead to a dilution of quality and to players who would at best have been AAA material appearing on the Big Show and is IMO one of the reasons why you have some very strong teams in big, wealthy markets and others perennially struggling to get by.
—Stephen Jay Gould

katmai

Quote from: Syt on December 21, 2009, 11:27:24 AM

That, and the inflation of the MLB. You have almost twice as many teams in the majors as up until 1961. Where you had 640 players on expanded rosters you now have 1200 - this has to lead to a dilution of quality and to players who would at best have been AAA material appearing on the Big Show and is IMO one of the reasons why you have some very strong teams in big, wealthy markets and others perennially struggling to get by.

Ya know I'm not sure i agree with that sentiment. Yeah rosters have doubled, but looks at the size of available talent pool as well?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

sbr

That is basically what I meant, if not what I said.  Pro football was at the same level as the barnstorming circus acts and freak show until Red Grange signed with the Bears in the mid-20's.  It took the nationally televised 1958 NFL Championships game (The Greatest Game Ever Played) for the NFL to become a true serious venture and competitor to baseball.