News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Snow!

Started by Martinus, December 14, 2009, 06:59:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capetan Mihali

We keep getting dumped on with some regularity.  The blizzard last Tuesday was unexpectedly weak
(but still a big snowfall), but everyone was completely prepared.  This Sunday/Monday, we got hit much harder than during the supposed big blizzard, without near the preparation.

So it's been a slippery mess on the roads all week and the sidewalks have about 20 inches of snow covering.  Plus a few inches the other night, and some more coming soon.  With very cold temps for here; going down to -9 tonight.

It makes everything so damn difficult and miserable.  But at this point in the winter, I feel better -- I'm just starting to accept it as a condition of existence. That at I'll never be warm or see the ground ever again, and that's OK.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Admiral Yi

Have you gotten your hands on a pair of Yak Trax yet Mihalia?

Capetan Mihali

No -- what are they?  (He asks, instead of googling.)
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."

Admiral Yi

These rubber/steel deals you slip on your shoes to give you traction.  Sorta like pedestrian crampons.

KRonn

A few flurries, a couple inches of snow today. But then starting Saturday or Sunday into Wednesday we're supposed to get snow pretty regular. I don't know yet what the predictions are for amounts of snow, but if the storm hits hard like the weather forecasters are worrying about, we're probably going to be buried for a few days. On top of the three to four feet now, plus the huge snow banks pushed up by the plows, I'm thinking this may wind up being like the blizzard of 1978 where everything came to a stop for a week. No work, school, many stranded people everywhere, a real mess.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 05, 2015, 09:16:59 PM
These rubber/steel deals you slip on your shoes to give you traction.  Sorta like pedestrian crampons.

Oh yeah, people in the office were talking about that type of thing.  I need them badly, especially with the dress shoes, I've wiped out a dozen times this winter.

Ed Anger

Yak trax are faboo.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Quote from: KRonn on February 05, 2015, 09:17:47 PM
A few flurries, a couple inches of snow today. But then starting Saturday or Sunday into Wednesday we're supposed to get snow pretty regular. I don't know yet what the predictions are for amounts of snow, but if the storm hits hard like the weather forecasters are worrying about, we're probably going to be buried for a few days. On top of the three to four feet now, plus the huge snow banks pushed up by the plows, I'm thinking this may wind up being like the blizzard of 1978 where everything came to a stop for a week. No work, school, many stranded people everywhere, a real mess.
Meanwhile it's going to go up to almost 60 this weekend here. :)

I'm telling you, New England is a terrible place to live.  The only people that have an excuse are those who have never lived anywhere else.  It sucked even compared to Philadelphia, dude.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

11B4V

We have got no snow yet this year at my house. Bummer.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

KRonn

Quote from: Caliga on February 05, 2015, 10:13:22 PM
Quote from: KRonn on February 05, 2015, 09:17:47 PM
Meanwhile it's going to go up to almost 60 this weekend here. :)

I'm telling you, New England is a terrible place to live.  The only people that have an excuse are those who have never lived anywhere else.  It sucked even compared to Philadelphia, dude.
They get more cold and snow in the upper Midwestern states. But yeah, there are nicer places weather-wise and such, but I don't usually mind the weather, even as I'm getting older. My brother and his wife spend winters in Florida now, even bought a place last year, and they love it there in winter. They always talk of the many, many people they meet from all over the US and Canada who also spend winters there.

I did see that temps in the west and south are going to be very warm this weekend, while we remain in the deep freeze.

Syt

Been snowing here all day. Plus wind gusts up to 90 kph.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Caliga

It was nice and warm all weekend, but very windy.  Didn't even need a jacket on Saturday as temps were in the 60s.

Admiral Yi

KRonn, the difference in my experience between the Midwestern winter and the Nguyen Gland winter is that it's just cold in the former but cold and wet in the latter.  That wet cold just gets down into your bones and doesn't thaw out until May.

Caliga

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 09, 2015, 07:49:11 AM
KRonn, the difference in my experience between the Midwestern winter and the Nguyen Gland winter is that it's just cold in the former but cold and wet in the latter.  That wet cold just gets down into your bones and doesn't thaw out until May.
:yes:

btw, Nguyen Gland...  :lol:

KRonn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 09, 2015, 07:49:11 AM
Maybe so, I wouldn't know. I've heard your argument before about the wet/humidity and it may be true, but New England isn't anywhere near humid like the South, so I don't know. I would think then that any northern state bordering the ocean has the same problem as New England states.