News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

*Drumroll* Amanda Knox verdict coming up!

Started by Jaron, December 04, 2009, 06:08:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Habsburg on October 03, 2011, 11:52:29 PM
The BF seems to have just been pulled along, didn't hear much about him.

Wasn't he an Italian? You wouldn't expect American media to care about him.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on October 03, 2011, 03:44:07 PM
Well the Italian legal system is something or a farce.

Assuming it's "of" and not "or", do you base this on anything substantial, when it comes to bringing flimsy criminal charges against people in Italy? I get the whole Italy bashing is all the rage and it has its failings, but I never thought that sentencing innocent people is one of them. In fact, if I was to name a single Western country which is rather infamous for putting innocent people in jail, it's probably the US.

Eddie Teach

We're hardly "infamous" for that, unless you're counting people convicted of drug crimes as innocents.

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 04, 2011, 02:28:38 AM
We're hardly "infamous" for that, unless you're counting people convicted of drug crimes as innocents.
Obvious troll was obvious, and you fell for it anyway.  :(
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

If we never responded to posts that weren't made in perfect sincerity, this forum would be an awfully quiet place.

DGuller

Quote from: Martinus on October 04, 2011, 02:19:56 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 03, 2011, 03:44:07 PM
Well the Italian legal system is something or a farce.

Assuming it's "of" and not "or", do you base this on anything substantial, when it comes to bringing flimsy criminal charges against people in Italy? I get the whole Italy bashing is all the rage and it has its failings, but I never thought that sentencing innocent people is one of them. In fact, if I was to name a single Western country which is rather infamous for putting innocent people in jail, it's probably the US.
My knowledge of Italian judicial system is that they're the bane of auto racing.  When Jim Clark was involved in a collision with Wolfgang von Trips, who was driving a Ferrari and was killed, Clark was harassed by Italian legal authorities for years.  Clark also happened to be a title contender throughout his career, and often against Ferrari drivers.  Mind you, von Trips was responsible for the accident, and fatal accidents are something that happened in racing, and pretty often in 1961.

The second example was when Ayrton Senna was killed in 1994 in a Williams car, probably because his steering column broke.  Again, the owner of Williams and several other people were tried for manslaughter for years afterwards.  Coincidentally, Williams was the main title contender of Ferrari those years.

Warspite

I thought Senna died because of shitty track design and bad luck.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

DGuller

Quote from: Warspite on October 04, 2011, 07:11:55 AM
I thought Senna died because of shitty track design and bad luck.
That contributed.

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on October 04, 2011, 06:33:28 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 04, 2011, 02:28:38 AM
Obvious troll was obvious, and you fell for it anyway.  :(

Yeah, it's not worth even responding to something so dumb.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Gups

Grinning_Colossus

Foreigners are under the impression that all Brits are sophisticated and well-spoken because we've only met the ones who've fled their wretched homeland.

And of course I would.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Razgovory

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on October 04, 2011, 03:29:07 PM
Foreigners are under the impression that all Brits are sophisticated and well-spoken because we've only met the ones who've fled their wretched homeland.

And of course I would.

Talking to actual Brits has disabused me of that notion.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Habsburg

I realize she is probably a huge mess just now...

I felt her press conference today came off badly, maybe just her personality.

It was like watching Byrce Dallas Howard act, didn't buy it, painful to watch.

11B4V

Thought it went as expected for someone in her position.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Gups

Quote from: 11B4V on October 04, 2011, 11:10:27 PM
Thought it went as expected for someone in her position.

Guilty as hell but about to make millions from her crime?