News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

*Drumroll* Amanda Knox verdict coming up!

Started by Jaron, December 04, 2009, 06:08:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brazen

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 05, 2011, 08:31:13 AM
There is certainly an absence of good taste and high-minded journalism in British tabloids. I'm not sure about the charge of them lacking professionalism though; the object presumably is to sell tabloid newspapers, not to please people who prefer more substantial news reporting.

Edit. I suppose that many journalists do adhere to a professional code of ethics. In which case unethical behaviour would be unprofessional  :hmm:
As well as the wider laws governing journalism such as defamation and copyright, there are codes of practice which must be adhered to, the main one of which is the PCC Editor's Code of Practice in the UK. Read up on the cases, there's some interesting stuff.
http://www.pcc.org.uk/cop/practice.html

Gups

Quote from: grumbler on October 05, 2011, 04:05:14 AM
Quote from: Brazen on October 05, 2011, 03:37:13 AM
I saw this and thought of Languish  :lol:

Presenter Matthew Wright defended the segment, telling Metro.co.uk: 'For the last four years, the world has been more than happy to refer to a woman, then presumed to be a killer, as "Foxy Knoxy" something I find appalling.
I find the parochialism of Brits like this funny as balls.  "The world" to whom he refers is merely the British new media, which are hardly known for their professionalism or taste.  The Aussie press may have picked that up, but they aren't any better.

Without disagreeing with your general view of the British media, the sobriquet "Foxy Knoxy" was used by the American media. Someone said she invented the term herself but I don't know if that's true.

Habbaku

I watched her coming-home speech and thought she was nothing short of innocent.  She appeared to be exactly what a young, rich white girl would be after spending 4 years in a legal circus in a foreign country.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

crazy canuck

Quote from: Habbaku on October 05, 2011, 10:34:14 AM
I watched her coming-home speech and thought she was nothing short of innocent.  She appeared to be exactly what a young, rich white girl would be after spending 4 years in a legal circus in a foreign country.

The public relations firm the family hired earned their money.

Barrister

Because ehr demeanour four years after the event tells you so much about someone's guilt or innocence? :huh:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

She's a submissive lesbian now?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

Quote from: Barrister on October 05, 2011, 11:23:00 AM

Because ehr demeanour four years after the event tells you so much about someone's guilt or innocence? :huh:
Is there any other way of determining someone's guilt or innocence? :unsure:

Barrister

Quote from: DGuller on October 05, 2011, 11:45:28 AM

Call me old fashioned, but I prefer to look at the evidence...

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on October 05, 2011, 11:59:52 AM

Typical you - all substance and pleated pants.

Gups

See if they float or sink.  :rolleyes:

Ed Anger

I make snap judgements based on their looks or nationality.

Foxy Knoxy - American and cute. Innocent
Louise Woodward -Brit and a fatty. Guilty
OJ- Black. GUILTY
Van Der Sloot - Dutch, therefore shifty. Guilty.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

crazy canuck

Quote from: Gups on October 05, 2011, 12:05:49 PM
See if they float or sink.  :rolleyes:

Pretty sure he was being sarcastic.  Besides the float or sink test resulted in very little court delay and cases didnt take years to make it to court and weeks or months to actually hear like they do now.  Similarly having a reality TV panel of judges (screened to ensure they have watched sufficient hours of Court TV as training) judge defendants on their poise and grace would also reduce cost and may even be a revenue generator if enough of an audience can be attracted to the proceedings.

Further, if viewership drops we can always go back to things like trial by combat or even the float test to bring ratings back up.

citizen k

Quote from: Gups on October 05, 2011, 10:25:49 AM
Someone said she invented the term herself but I don't know if that's true.

No, her teammates on her soccer team gave her the nickname when she was eight years old.

Eddie Teach

You don't consider the defendant's testimony and demeanor as part of that?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 05, 2011, 12:45:52 PM

You don't consider the defendant's testimony and demeanor as part of that?

On cross-examination?  sure.

In a pre-planned media event?  Not at all.

Besides there are studies that have shown that "demeanour in court" is a very poor way to determine truthfulness.