And we're back!

Main Menu

Lech Walesa: Put gays behind a wall

Started by Syt, March 02, 2013, 06:21:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 02, 2013, 10:32:41 PM
Quote from: Martinus on March 02, 2013, 11:28:21 AM
Btw, just to shock you, France has full state funding of abortions (for any reasons) and the IVF (including for single moms and lesbian couples).

Not shocking.  France is a modern, progressive nation that has its shit in order.   :frog: :frog: :frog: :frog: :frog: :frog: :frog: :frog: :frog: :frog: :frog: :frog: :frog: :frog:

Mmm...except for the whole French bit.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 02, 2013, 10:32:41 PM
Btw, just to shock you, France has full state funding of abortions (for any reasons) and the IVF (including for single moms and lesbian couples).

Not shocking.  France is a modern, progressive nation that has its shit in order.   :frog: :frog: :frog: :frog: :frog: :frog: :frog: :frog: :frog: :frog: :frog: :frog: :frog: :frog:

Oh I know and I fully agree - it's just that Meri's post was kinda like "WUT they have state funded abortions anywhere in the world?"

merithyn

Quote from: Martinus on March 03, 2013, 03:26:41 AM
Oh I know and I fully agree - it's just that Meri's post was kinda like "WUT they have state funded abortions anywhere in the world?"

:yeahright:

No, it was, "Where is it state-funded?" I knew that it was; I just wondered where in particular.

As for Cuba and North Korea, no... but France or Canada, absofuckinglutely! :w00t:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Eddie Teach

Quote from: merithyn on March 04, 2013, 12:22:02 AM
As for Cuba and North Korea, no... but France or Canada, absofuckinglutely! :w00t:

Racist.  :rolleyes:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Btw, just to shock you, France has full state funding of abortions (for any reasons) .
Only up to the 12th week, which would be an unconstitutional limit here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortion_in_France
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

Poor Walesa.

Even his son (who is a member of the European Parliament and supports civil unions) said that not only does he disagree with what his father said but considers it "evil and harmful".

:face:

Martinus

Even Fox News is writing about it.  :lol:

QuoteGay Polish lawmaker to sit on the front bench in response to Lech Walesa's anti-gay remarks

WARSAW, Poland –  Poland's first gay and transgender lawmakers will sit on the front bench in Parliament this week in reaction to hostile remarks by former president Lech Walesa.

Polish democracy icon and Nobel peace prize winner Walesa sparked outrage last week by saying that as a minority, gays have no right to a prominent role in politics, need to "adjust to smaller things" and should sit on the back benches, or even outside the chamber. On Monday, he refused to apologize and said he has been misunderstood.

Janusz Palikot, the leader of progressive party Palikot's Movement, reacted by promoting the party's gay lawmaker, Robert Biedron, and transgender lawmaker, Anna Grodzka, to the front row for a three-day session starting Wednesday. In Poland's Parliament, the front row, which is closest to the Speaker and gets the most TV attention, is generally for party leaders and senior lawmakers. The Cabinet sits in a separate section.

Palikot said he will also seek a resolution asking Walesa to "change his manner of speaking."

Walesa has declined an invitation to meet with Biedron.

Walesa's son said he was shocked by his father's words, which "should not have been said."

"Gays, lesbians, the homosexuals, have the right to have a representation and should be" in Parliament, said Jaroslaw Walesa, who is a European Parliament lawmaker.

In the 1980s Walesa led the Solidarity freedom movement that peacefully toppled communism in Poland.

Sheilbh

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 04, 2013, 02:43:10 AM
Only up to the 12th week, which would be an unconstitutional limit here.

Yeah. That's because American abortion law is absurdly liberal, far moreso than anywhere in Europe. I think it's probably part of the reason anti-abortion is still a more common opinion.

The UK has a similar law about later abortions (in the UK after 24 weeks) if it could cause grave physical or mental problems for the woman. In my understanding (based on stories from a friend who used to work for Marie Stopes) here getting two doctors to agree, especially on the mental health issue, is often relatively easy. I imagine in France it's the same after 12 weeks.
Let's bomb Russia!

Martinus

So, a quick update:

2 weeks ago: Walesa says he does not want to change a thing and will not apologise.
1 week ago: Reports of Walesa's street in San Francisco being renamed to something else and him losing a couple lecture contracts in the US to the tune of $70,000 and counting.
Yesterday: Walesa says that he is a victim of gay lobby and is being discriminated against.
Today: Walesa says he supports gay civil unions as long as "they don't flaunt it".

Now you can imagine how fun it was to have this guy as a President.  :lol:

The Larch

I saw Walesa's street in SF. It's a dump.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Larch

Quote from: Caliga on March 27, 2013, 06:53:39 AM
Quote from: The Larch on March 27, 2013, 06:04:50 AM
I saw Walesa's street in SF. It's a dump.
Too many gays on it :yuk:

Not really:

It's not in Castro, after all, but near the City Hall.