Obama to go hat in hand to the Russians to beg forgiveness.

Started by Berkut, March 31, 2009, 08:59:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Berkut on March 31, 2009, 03:53:22 PMAnd now jacob follows along in the strawman constructing footsteps of those who came before him.

This is almost as good as JRs constructed comments from Gates.

I'd totally come around to your point of view if only you offered to press the reset button and admit things are partially your fault.

Alas, you're too much like Putin  :(

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Berkut on March 31, 2009, 03:58:11 PMYou are assuming that there won't be something else for them to hang their anti-US rhetoric on...and of course there will be. There always is.

It isn't hard to make up something to be outraged about, especially when it comes to the US. We have our fingers in everything, after all.
Really? And haven't you noticed that Poland itself seems to be about the only EU country particularly *happy* with the missile shield? You don't think the missile shield, as well as direct barter for us, has been indirect barter for Russia in dealing with the EU?
Experience bij!

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 31, 2009, 04:02:37 PM
Quote from: Delirium on March 31, 2009, 03:58:11 PM
I was really scratching my head trying to figure out why Berk had that avatar, now I know.

This is comedy gold, gentlemen. Vintage Languish.
I still don't get the horse thing.  Can you explain it to me?

:lol:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Delirium

Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

Warspite

Quote from: DontSayBanana on March 31, 2009, 03:51:59 PM
The missile shield is valuable precisely because it's tangible evidence that we perceive Russia as a threat, at least from a Balkan/Russian perspective. These guys feed on conflict. By abandoning the missile shield, it signals to Russia and its neighboring nations that we're confident enough in our own existing forces as deterrent.

It also signals to China, Iran and North Korea that we're shoring up resources for more important things. From a tactical perspective, this could actually be beneficial.

Is the missile shield positioned to stop Russian missiles? The Russians still have a credible Arctic strategic deterrent fleet. That means missiles handily avoiding Poland and Czech Republic.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: Jacob on March 31, 2009, 04:08:51 PM
Quote from: Berkut on March 31, 2009, 03:53:22 PMAnd now jacob follows along in the strawman constructing footsteps of those who came before him.

This is almost as good as JRs constructed comments from Gates.

I'd totally come around to your point of view if only you offered to press the reset button and admit things are partially your fault.

Alas, you're too much like Putin  :(
I always thought Zhirinovsky was a more apt comparison.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: derspiess on March 31, 2009, 03:40:13 PM
What's wrong with it is that it's extremely naive.  Do you really think there's any chance to get the Russians to help us?

I think that the Russians are concerned about the possibility that an Islamic revolutionary state just a short jaunt down the Caspian is developing nuclear weapons.  Iranian missile technology is isn't where developed to the point they could get anywhere near the US, but they could reach Russian soil no problem. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Queequeg

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 31, 2009, 04:41:55 PM
Quote from: derspiess on March 31, 2009, 03:40:13 PM
What's wrong with it is that it's extremely naive.  Do you really think there's any chance to get the Russians to help us?

I think that the Russians are concerned about the possibility that an Islamic revolutionary state just a short jaunt down the Caspian is developing nuclear weapons.  Iranian missile technology is isn't where developed to the point they could get anywhere near the US, but they could reach Russian soil no problem.

An uppity Iran is an Iran pushing back into its historic range in the Caucasus, an Iranian-Russian alliance only makes sense as long as Iran is relatively powerless and the Turkish-American alliance (NATO) is belligerent. If Iran goes nuclear (in both a literal and non-literal batshit sense) it will push its influence further north.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Admiral Yi

If so they haven't shown a lot of proof of this concern to date.

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 31, 2009, 06:17:18 PM
If so they haven't shown a lot of proof of this concern to date.

Yeah, they must be hiding it awfully well.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Habsburg

Why do we want relations with teh Russians? 

I say ignore them, and perhaps they'll go away. :frog: