Obama to go hat in hand to the Russians to beg forgiveness.

Started by Berkut, March 31, 2009, 08:59:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Berkut on March 31, 2009, 02:54:32 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 31, 2009, 02:46:27 PM
Oh see, when said he was doing something I assumed to you being figuritive. 

CAN YOU SPEAK LOUDER, I DONT UNDERSTAND YOUR WORDS.

Quit being a whinny bitch.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Berkut

Quote from: Razgovory on March 31, 2009, 02:55:32 PM
Quote from: Berkut on March 31, 2009, 02:54:32 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 31, 2009, 02:46:27 PM
Oh see, when said he was doing something I assumed to you being figuritive. 

CAN YOU SPEAK LOUDER, I DONT UNDERSTAND YOUR WORDS.

Quit being a whinny bitch.

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Berkut on March 31, 2009, 01:18:59 PM
You just said we were giving up the "boondoggle" missile defense project.

Giving up something that you weren't go to do anyways isn't really giving something up.

But even that hasn't happened, because no action has yet been taken.  The Obama people have only said that the project is under review and they might decide not to proceed.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Warspite

" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on March 31, 2009, 02:19:36 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on March 31, 2009, 02:18:25 PM
Stop Hoping for that and Change with the times. The Obamamessiah leads the way.

I like Hillary; she's kind of a bitch.

So what is it with...

Oh yeah, we already had a thread on that :D
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Berkut

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 31, 2009, 03:10:25 PM
Quote from: Berkut on March 31, 2009, 01:18:59 PM
You just said we were giving up the "boondoggle" missile defense project.

Giving up something that you weren't go to do anyways isn't really giving something up.

But even that hasn't happened, because no action has yet been taken.  The Obama people have only said that the project is under review and they might decide not to proceed.

Giving up something that is important to the people you are negotiating with is certainly giving something up. I am impressed by the lengths you will go to in your apologism - surely a lawyer understands that the value of something is determined by the person who you are negotiating with at least as much as the person who has it in their power to give it up or trade it.

Even if the US thought it was a "boondoggle", which of course the US does not, as long as Russia thinks it is important, it is a valuable negotiating tool. Certainly the Poles think it is valuable.

QuoteBut even that hasn't happened, because no action has yet been taken.  The Obama people have only said that the project is under review and they might decide not to proceed.

So we should not be concerned by what they say, and wait until it is too late and they actually do something stupid? Beyond just *looking* idiotic with their inability to make simple translations and such?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on March 31, 2009, 03:17:19 PM
So what is it with...

Oh yeah, we already had a thread on that :D

I paraphrased Cammy P's stance on Hillary in the early 90s. :wub:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Berkut on March 31, 2009, 03:18:40 PM
Giving up something that is important to the people you are negotiating with is certainly giving something up. I am impressed by the lengths you will go to in your apologism - surely a lawyer understands that the value of something is determined by the person who you are negotiating with at least as much as the person who has it in their power to give it up or trade it.

Yes I remember that from the negotiation class.  But I also took "Accounting for Lawyers".  And what I learned from that is that one shouldn't spend billions of dollars on something that is useless to you simply out of the hope that maybe you can bargain it away later for some incohate advantage.

QuoteCertainly the Poles think it is valuable.

There has to be a good joke here . . .

QuoteSo we should not be concerned by what they say, and wait until it is too late and they actually do something stupid?

So far what they have said is that the program is up for review, and that it's raison d'etre would vanish if the Iranian bomb program were to be ended.  Then they sent a letter to Russians linking those issues.  I don't see the problem with that.  Certainly I am not going to accuse them of doing something stupid when they haven't actually done anything stupid.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson