News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Time for the 80s?

Started by garbon, November 27, 2009, 11:54:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 29, 2009, 09:25:27 AM
Quote from: Tyr on November 28, 2009, 02:30:00 PMI'm British. Therefore I'm entitled to say that we're a federal republic ruled by a chancellor and you can't argue with me on account of being foreign. Hurray.

That smarmy, snooty, effeminate I'm-British-ergo-smarter-than-you-because-I-sound-like-it-AND-I-use-ergo can only carry you so far.
:rolleyes:
You are here. The point is at Alpha Centauri.
To say 'French is a Germanic language. You can't argue with me. I have a degree in linguistics whilst you don't' is just wrong.

QuoteWhen all of these instances have one person in common, you have to wonder if the problem is really the other people.
All these instances? That was one minor instance which some people got oddly worked up about.

QuoteI pick this out because it is so wrong. Read up on the Ramones and Television. They were not proto-punk or garage rock. Especially, Television's style influenced Malcolm McLaren immensly. The "groundwork" from the US was the first punk bands, the first punk style, and the first punk records.  English punk politicized that country's brand, but it was not the first.

Again, you seem to be reading liner notes from some 1990s music critic who was not around at the time. I barely caught the last bit of the first wave, but I am smart enough to read the history of what I am arguing about.
:rolleyes: Jesus christoff. Please stop the stupid accusations that I haven't read about this stuff. I'm basing this entirely off what I've read.
I'm not at all familiar with television but the Ramones, though very important and influential for punk (along with Iggy, New York Dolls and the like), certainly aren't true punk themselves. Just look at the famous first album cover, in style they're utterly un-punk.
And again: I've recognised from the start that 'New Wave' was around in the 70s, my entire point is that the modern definition of New Wave is rather different to how people in the 70s would have defined it.
██████
██████
██████

PDH

Ok, so you assert the Ramones aren't punk.

You fail.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 29, 2009, 09:45:40 AM
You can pull it off. Josq, not so much.

I think Sheilbh's a toff.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on November 29, 2009, 10:11:45 AM
I'm not at all familiar with television but the Ramones, though very important and influential for punk (along with Iggy, New York Dolls and the like), certainly aren't true punk themselves. Just look at the famous first album cover, in style they're utterly un-punk.
That begs the question what is punk?  Is it a style of music, an attitude or a fashion brand created by McLaren and Westwood?
Let's bomb Russia!

PDH

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 29, 2009, 11:49:15 AM
...or a fashion brand created by McLaren and Westwood?
Taken from Richard Hell.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 28, 2009, 12:07:26 AM
Quote from: garbon on November 27, 2009, 11:54:32 PM
I sumbit for review:

The Killers - Day & Age
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - It's Blitz!
La Roux - La Roux
Tegan & Sara - Sainthood
Lady Gaga - The Fame & The Fame Monster (although the latter might have some 70s pull)

Even Ms. Britney Spears, as of late. Now I'm dragging on but I guess what I'm spotting is the reemergence of mainstream electropop.

None of these sound like Poison, Cinderella or Warrant.  So no.
Kip Winger says you're heading for a failbreak.

:x

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on November 30, 2009, 05:03:28 AM
I sumbit for review:

The Killers - Day & Age
La Roux - La Roux
Tegan & Sara - Sainthood
Lady Gaga - The Fame & The Fame Monster (although the latter might have some 70s pull)

Even Ms. Britney Spears, as of late. Now I'm dragging on but I guess what I'm spotting is the reemergence of mainstream electropop.

Hey, my senior year song was friggin' Whitesnake, man.  Hurl.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 30, 2009, 07:14:25 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on November 30, 2009, 05:03:28 AM
I sumbit for review:

The Killers - Day & Age
La Roux - La Roux
Tegan & Sara - Sainthood

Hey, my senior year song was friggin' Whitesnake, man.  Hurl.

Well, that's always better...

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 29, 2009, 11:49:15 AM
That begs the question what is punk?  Is it a style of music, an attitude or a fashion brand created by McLaren and Westwood?
Good question.  I looked up punk on wiki, and it says the first recorded use of the term is by a cofounder of The Fugs.  Don't know anything about them.  Did they have the style but not the fashion?

crazy canuck

To the OP, the 80's were great.  It had it all.  At the beginning we all thought we were going to die in a nuclear winter and by the end communism was dealt a death blow.

The music was wide ranging and diverse and a lot of the music reflected the turbulent times we lived in.

I know I will sound like a grumpy old man but music today is pretty generic and sanitized. 

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 30, 2009, 12:24:17 PM
To the OP, the 80's were great.  It had it all.  At the beginning we all thought we were going to die in a nuclear winter and by the end communism was dealt a death blow.

The music was wide ranging and diverse and a lot of the music reflected the turbulent times we lived in.

I know I will sound like a grumpy old man but music today is pretty generic and sanitized. 

So not really a response to me at all, then? :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on November 30, 2009, 12:34:54 PM
So not really a response to me at all, then? :D

You need to read between the lines.

This generation sucks so of course they look to a better time.  A golden age of music if you will.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 30, 2009, 01:26:58 PM
You need to read between the lines.

This generation sucks so of course they look to a better time.  A golden age of music if you will.

Or you could just say that. :tinfoil:

I took your statement to mean that we aren't really copying anything as we don't have the ability to.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on November 30, 2009, 02:09:49 PM
I took your statement to mean that we aren't really copying anything as we don't have the ability to.

Copying appears to be the only thing that this generation of musicians can do.

Fate

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 30, 2009, 02:53:04 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 30, 2009, 02:09:49 PM

Copying appears to be the only thing that this any generation of musicians can do.