And we're back!

Main Menu

Time for the 80s?

Started by garbon, November 27, 2009, 11:54:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

Quote from: Tyr on November 28, 2009, 02:30:00 PM
Not really.
Much of the groundwork for the punk sound came from the US however this was all just proto-punk and garage rock.
I pick this out because it is so wrong. Read up on the Ramones and Television. They were not proto-punk or garage rock. Especially, Television's style influenced Malcolm McLaren immensly. The "groundwork" from the US was the first punk bands, the first punk style, and the first punk records.  English punk politicized that country's brand, but it was not the first.

Again, you seem to be reading liner notes from some 1990s music critic who was not around at the time. I barely caught the last bit of the first wave, but I am smart enough to read the history of what I am arguing about.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

PDH

Sorry Garbs, I know this has little to do with the commercial New Wave of the 80s, but sometimes I see things so wrong I have to argue.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Capetan Mihali

I'm just a guy who likes to get drunk
I'm just a guy who likes to dress punk
Get my kicks and live my life

:)
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

garbon

Quote from: PDH on November 28, 2009, 06:13:27 PM
Sorry Garbs, I know this has little to do with the commercial New Wave of the 80s, but sometimes I see things so wrong I have to argue.

No worries.

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on November 28, 2009, 12:36:57 PM
According to the modern definition though you're obviously a complete idiot if you call the Sex Pistols New Wave. Likewise to call Spandau Ballet post-punk is just utterly wrong.
But Spandau Ballet weren't new wave either.

Quote from: PDH on November 28, 2009, 12:55:05 PM
And to be clear. New Wave AND Punk started in New York, and were copied in Great Britain.  So the movements you speak of are derivative anyway.
Punk did.  New York had no wave so it doesn't count.

QuoteIt came to be however in the 80s that new wave actually stuck with a particular genre, whatever was called new wave before that is irrelevant. By modern definitions New Wave= pretty poppy stuff that had its peak popularity in the mid 80s.
I'd disagree.  Many of the new wave/post-punk bands such as Human League, Scritti Politti and so on achieved later popularity in the mid-80s, but they all started late 70s as post-punk/new wave.  They also all influenced bands like Spandau Ballet or Duran Duran, but I think they're broadly separate.
Let's bomb Russia!

Queequeg

QuotePunk did.  New York had no wave so it doesn't count.
:lol:

This is the cleverest post I've read in a long, long time. 
Or a silly mistake.  Heck, they even had the Del-Byzanteens.  They are probably the closest you get in the mid-70s to the roots of 90's Alternative and modern Indie music, especially cause of Sonic Youth and Mission of Burma.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

Can anyone escape their year of birth? :unsure:

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on November 29, 2009, 05:38:46 AM
Most people do, by living a year.

Neil

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 29, 2009, 07:34:15 AM
Quote from: garbon on November 29, 2009, 05:38:46 AM
Most people do, by living a year.
Some people do it even quicker.  It only took me three weeks.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Warspite

This whole 80s-revival thing is so a la mode right now. So at our staff Christmas party we decided on having an 80s theme. And then reminding all the 20-30 year olds how bad it actually was by dividing the party venue in half with a wall, herding everyone into the crap part, feeding them only vodka and bread, and then firing them when the wall is knocked down and privatisation is implemented.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tyr on November 28, 2009, 02:30:00 PMI'm British. Therefore I'm entitled to say that we're a federal republic ruled by a chancellor and you can't argue with me on account of being foreign. Hurray.

That smarmy, snooty, effeminate I'm-British-ergo-smarter-than-you-because-I-sound-like-it-AND-I-use-ergo can only carry you so far.

Sheilbh

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 29, 2009, 09:25:27 AM
That smarmy, snooty, effeminate I'm-British-ergo-smarter-than-you-because-I-sound-like-it-AND-I-use-ergo can only carry you so far.
Hey, it's got me this far :p
Let's bomb Russia!

Ed Anger

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 29, 2009, 09:44:44 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 29, 2009, 09:25:27 AM
Hey, it's got me this far :p

You can pull it off. Josq, not so much.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive