4. Encore / Eminem ~ 3,917,097
   5. Feels like Home / Norah Jones ~ 3,842,920
   6. Autobiography / Ashlee Simpson ~ 3,534,912
   7. When the Sun Goes Down / Kenny Chesney ~ 3,072,224
   8. Here for the Party / Gretchen Wilson ~ 2,931,097
   9. Live Like You Were Dying / Tim McGraw ~ 2,786,840
  10. Songs About Jane / Maroon 5 ~ 2,708,415
:unsure:

I can't believe any list with Usher at the top closely followed by Avril Lavigne worthy of any positive note.

Syt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 28, 2009, 12:07:26 AM

None of these sound like Poison, Cinderella or Warrant.  So no.
Kip Winger says you're heading for a failbreak.

Winger are in town on 8th December. I considered going, but it's in a hall notorious for its bad sound system. Maybe Nazareth next year. Definitely Slayer next year.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

La Roux is the only of those albums I know about.
And yeah it really is uber 80s.
Its weird really; the beginning of the 2000s had bands taking influence from the early 80s, post punk revival stuff. Now there's a lot of full mid 80s, crappy pop new wave stuff.
██████
██████
██████

Ed Anger

Quote from: Syt on November 28, 2009, 03:36:26 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 28, 2009, 12:07:26 AM

None of these sound like Poison, Cinderella or Warrant.  So no.
Kip Winger says you're heading for a failbreak.

Winger are in town on 8th December. I considered going, but it's in a hall notorious for its bad sound system. Maybe Nazareth next year. Definitely Slayer next year.

All you need is for Molly Hatchet to roll into town.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on November 28, 2009, 08:30:25 AM
Its weird really; the beginning of the 2000s had bands taking influence from the early 80s, post punk revival stuff. Now there's a lot of full mid 80s, crappy pop new wave stuff.
New wave and post-punk are much of a muchness.  I think you mean new romanticism - which was, broadly speaking, wank.

Having said that I do love a good pop song.
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 28, 2009, 08:45:18 AM
All you need is for Molly Hatchet to roll into town.

I wished. :(

we get W.A.S.P., Europe and Pennywise in the next couple months, though. I missed Kim Wilde. -_-
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 28, 2009, 08:55:59 AM
Quote from: Tyr on November 28, 2009, 08:30:25 AM
New wave and post-punk are much of a muchness.  I think you mean new romanticism - which was, broadly speaking, wank.

Having said that I do love a good pop song.
Nah, post-punk I'd identify more as the earlier stuff. Mainly guitar based. Joy Division and the like. New Wave is once the machines start taking over, largely New Romantic but not exclusivly so, New Order were one of the few good New Wave examples.
Anyway.
Having said what I said I hope this means we'll get new Britpop in 10 years or so....but then 10 years after that it'll be bands pretending to be bands pretending to be bands from the 80s?
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josephus

80s music sucked. Trust me. i was there.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

PDH

Quote from: Tyr on November 28, 2009, 09:01:56 AM
Nah, post-punk I'd identify more as the earlier stuff. Mainly guitar based. Joy Division and the like. New Wave is once the machines start taking over, largely New Romantic but not exclusivly so, New Order were one of the few good New Wave examples.
You just make up your own definitions for stuff, don't you?
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Josquius

Quote from: PDH on November 28, 2009, 11:13:30 AM
Quote from: Tyr on November 28, 2009, 09:01:56 AM
You just make up your own definitions for stuff, don't you?
No, its the general definition.
Exacrtly where the line between the two starts is vague and left entirely up to people to decide for themselves but post punk is generally taken to be late 70s-early 80s whilst new wave is early-mid 80s.
Its a bit confused because even punk was called new wave at the time but the modern definition is squarely a 80s electronicish one.
██████
██████
██████

PDH

Quote from: Tyr on November 28, 2009, 11:18:19 AM
No, its the general definition.
Exacrtly where the line between the two starts is vague and left entirely up to people to decide for themselves but post punk is generally taken to be late 70s-early 80s whilst new wave is early-mid 80s.
Its a bit confused because even punk was called new wave at the time but the modern definition is squarely a 80s electronicish one.
By "general definition" you mean what you believe regardless of the facts.

Punk and New Wave coexisted from the mid 70s, they were different names for the genre that was splitting immediately after the Ramones and Sex Pistols kicked things off on different sides of the Atlantic (remember, mid-1970s).  The interest in new musical forms prompted producers to label a brand of this music "New Wave" in order to have it sell better, but in reality it DID begin as part of the Punk Scene.

Electronic was part of this New Wave from the start.  Devo, a punk band, introduced synthesizer elements even before they got a record deal (again, mid-70s), and were thus New Wave.  I understand this is confusing you you, because you seem to associate New Wave with the later commercial aspect that come about purely in the first half of the 1980s, but (and this is important) you don't know everything.

Your "Post-Punk" "New Wave" dichotomy seems to be driven by misunderstanding of the facts (I expect you have misread the advert-TISS-ments), and buying into later thoughts about the movement. The Commercial New Wave you refer to as the "modern definition" seems to be one designed by younger folks who do not remember, and who wish some sort of clear division between the golden age and the later times. There is none.

Again, you just make things up and present them as gospel. It seems to be your thing.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Josquius

Quote from: PDH on November 28, 2009, 12:27:15 PM
By "general definition" you mean what you believe regardless of the facts.

Punk and New Wave coexisted from the mid 70s, they were different names for the genre that was splitting immediately after the Ramones and Sex Pistols kicked things off on different sides of the Atlantic (remember, mid-1970s).  The interest in new musical forms prompted producers to label a brand of this music "New Wave" in order to have it sell better, but in reality it DID begin as part of the Punk Scene.

Electronic was part of this New Wave from the start.  Devo, a punk band, introduced synthesizer elements even before they got a record deal (again, mid-70s), and were thus New Wave.  I understand this is confusing you you, because you seem to associate New Wave with the later commercial aspect that come about purely in the first half of the 1980s, but (and this is important) you don't know everything.

Your "Post-Punk" "New Wave" dichotomy seems to be driven by misunderstanding of the facts (I expect you have misread the advert-TISS-ments), and buying into later thoughts about the movement. The Commercial New Wave you refer to as the "modern definition" seems to be one designed by younger folks who do not remember, and who wish some sort of clear division between the golden age and the later times. There is none.

Again, you just make things up and present them as gospel. It seems to be your thing.
Don't be retarded.
As I said the lines are vague and at the time the term new wave was thrown about to refer to lots of things (even the Sex Pistols).
According to the modern definition though you're obviously a complete idiot if you call the Sex Pistols New Wave. Likewise to call Spandau Ballet post-punk is just utterly wrong.
Meanings of words change over time.
██████
██████
██████

PDH

Did you read what I wrote? No? Good, that explains your response. Punk-New Wave split almost immediately after the initial punk splash because of percieved problems in marketing punk, not because of genre differences.

The New Wave you are referring to is a later self-referential definition, a larger commercial one that is different from what you wish to be saying. New Wave follows Punk timeline quite closely, and dies shortly after the "1st Wave" Punk dies too.  The Romantic, Dance, Electronica, etc movements that are born out of both Punk and New Wave are not either - they are evolutions of this.

I know definitions change over time - applying new definitions to something that is not applicable is still wrong, however.
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

PDH

And to be clear. New Wave AND Punk started in New York, and were copied in Great Britain.  So the movements you speak of are derivative anyway.

(cue MB and USA! USA! :) )
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM