News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Time for the 80s?

Started by garbon, November 27, 2009, 11:54:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: PDH on November 28, 2009, 12:55:05 PM
And to be clear. New Wave AND Punk started in New York, and were copied in Great Britain.  So the movements you speak of are derivative anyway.

(cue MB and USA! USA! :) )

USA! USA!

And I hate punk. And the English. :P
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

PDH

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 28, 2009, 01:15:10 PM
Punk was a lot cooler when I was 16 :)
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: PDH on November 28, 2009, 12:55:05 PM
And to be clear. New Wave AND Punk started in New York, and were copied in Great Britain.  So the movements you speak of are derivative anyway.

(cue MB and USA! USA! :) )

UM and LA :contract:
same time more rockabilly influenced, and also a big reaction against Hippies and stadium rock.

but yeah. as far as the so-called "post punk" definitely a self referential phrase used (my own timeline may be different but I see post-punk as anything vaguely punk/new wave that was recorded after the Clash disintegrated on Combat Rock.)  by those tired of being pigeonholed as punk new wave or whatever, it's even vaguer and thus more useful.
:p

garbon

PDH on Jos. That's a new combo.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

It's great watching Tyr go on, absolutely convinced that he knows better about things that happened before he was born, compared to someone who was there.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Josquius

QuoteDid you read what I wrote? No? Good, that explains your response. Punk-New Wave split almost immediately after the initial punk splash because of percieved problems in marketing punk, not because of genre differences.

The New Wave you are referring to is a later self-referential definition, a larger commercial one that is different from what you wish to be saying. New Wave follows Punk timeline quite closely, and dies shortly after the "1st Wave" Punk dies too.  The Romantic, Dance, Electronica, etc movements that are born out of both Punk and New Wave are not either - they are evolutions of this.

I know definitions change over time - applying new definitions to something that is not applicable is still wrong, however.
Did you read what I wrote? No? That explains your response. :rolleyes:
As I said the term new wave was applied to punk bands freely, the terms punk and new wave were mixed and matched at will. New wave meant just that, the new wave of music.
It came to be however in the 80s that new wave actually stuck with a particular genre, whatever was called new wave before that is irrelevant. By modern definitions New Wave= pretty poppy stuff that had its peak popularity in the mid 80s.
Terms change. Much as how emo is now shitty pop-punk rather than hardcore punk so too punk is not new wave.

QuoteAnd to be clear. New Wave AND Punk started in New York, and were copied in Great Britain.  So the movements you speak of are derivative anyway.
Not really.
Much of the groundwork for the punk sound came from the US however this was all just proto-punk and garage rock.

Quote from: Neil on November 28, 2009, 02:11:58 PM
It's great watching Tyr go on, absolutely convinced that he knows better about things that happened before he was born, compared to someone who was there.
I'm British. Therefore I'm entitled to say that we're a federal republic ruled by a chancellor and you can't argue with me on account of being foreign. Hurray.
██████
██████
██████

Neil

Quote from: Tyr on November 28, 2009, 02:30:00 PM
I'm British. Therefore I'm entitled to say that we're a federal republic ruled by a chancellor and you can't argue with me on account of being foreign. Hurray.
Not every British person is completely ignorant in regards to music history.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

Quote from: PDH on November 28, 2009, 02:00:38 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on November 28, 2009, 01:15:10 PM
Punk was a lot cooler when I was 16 :)

You are so old grandpa.  :)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on November 28, 2009, 02:09:40 PM
PDH on Jos. That's a new combo.

I think just about everybody here has had to take Jos to task at some point or other.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 28, 2009, 02:45:33 PM
I think just about everybody here has had to take Jos to task at some point or other.

That's fair. Really the sheer level of idiocy on his part is almost incomprehensible. It's like he's a forever know-it-all teen.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Ed Anger

Josquius

WTF :blink:

QuoteThat's fair. Really the sheer level of idiocy on his part is almost incomprehensible. It's like he's a forever know-it-all teen.
Except, you know, what I'm saying here is perfectly valid. :rolleyes:

Quotecandy vs. sweets, take 2.
That was other people being dense. Not me.

QuoteNot every British person is completely ignorant in regards to music history.
And not every older person is completely well versed in it purely on account of being old enough to be 'there'.
██████
██████
██████

Neil

Quote from: Tyr on November 28, 2009, 05:31:48 PM
And not every older person is completely well versed in it purely on account of being old enough to be 'there'.
True.  But in this case, we're talking about someone who is intimately connected with the music scene and the history of music.

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on November 28, 2009, 05:31:48 PM
That was other people being dense. Not me.

When all of these instances have one person in common, you have to wonder if the problem is really the other people.

Anyway, perhaps that is how you use the term New Wave but ignorance doesn't make it that the correct usage. If that was the case, "your stupid" and "its a boy" would be accurate statements.

Btw, I think my thoughts on new wave were once similar to yours, however then I read a bit and learned I was mistaken.