News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Time for the 80s?

Started by garbon, November 27, 2009, 11:54:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

I was thinking about some of the albums that I own that have come out in the past few years, all of which saw at least moderate commercial success, and noticed that 80s influence is all over them. In fact, most reviews mention the direct influence. What's weird is that some of these acts have only recently become 80s like. Is it time for an 80s resurgence? I sumbit for review:

The Killers - Day & Age
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - It's Blitz!
La Roux - La Roux
Tegan & Sara - Sainthood
Lady Gaga - The Fame & The Fame Monster (although the latter might have some 70s pull)

Even Ms. Britney Spears, as of late. Now I'm dragging on but I guess what I'm spotting is the reemergence of mainstream electropop.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

garbon

Quote from: katmai on November 28, 2009, 12:03:38 AM
Uh welcome to 2004 hello!

QuoteTop 10 selling albums of the year in the US in 2004

1. Confessions / Usher ~ 7,978,594
   2. Under My Skin / Avril Lavigne ~ 6,970,000
   3. In The Zone / Britney Spears~ 4,535,102
   4. Encore / Eminem ~ 3,917,097
   5. Feels like Home / Norah Jones ~ 3,842,920
   6. Autobiography / Ashlee Simpson ~ 3,534,912
   7. When the Sun Goes Down / Kenny Chesney ~ 3,072,224
   8. Here for the Party / Gretchen Wilson ~ 2,931,097
   9. Live Like You Were Dying / Tim McGraw ~ 2,786,840
  10. Songs About Jane / Maroon 5 ~ 2,708,415
:unsure:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

QuoteIn the "Sound of 2009" poll of 130 music experts conducted for the BBC 10 of the top 15 artists named were of the electro-pop genre.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on November 27, 2009, 11:54:32 PM
I sumbit for review:

The Killers - Day & Age
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - It's Blitz!
La Roux - La Roux
Tegan & Sara - Sainthood
Lady Gaga - The Fame & The Fame Monster (although the latter might have some 70s pull)

Even Ms. Britney Spears, as of late. Now I'm dragging on but I guess what I'm spotting is the reemergence of mainstream electropop.

None of these sound like Poison, Cinderella or Warrant.  So no.
Kip Winger says you're heading for a failbreak.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on November 28, 2009, 12:06:47 AM
QuoteIn the "Sound of 2009" poll of 130 music experts conducted for the BBC 10 of the top 15 artists named were of the electro-pop genre.

When has there NOT been electro-pop?

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 28, 2009, 12:07:26 AM
None of these sound like Poison, Cinderella or Warrant.  So no.
Kip Winger says you're heading for a failbreak.

I meant the good part of 80s music.

katmai

What I meant garbon was I started hearing your same sentiments back in 2004 with debuts of the killers, Fran Ferdinand, and records by interpol, rapture and others

garbon

Understandable, although I think the Killers now are much more like the 80s than at their debut. Franz Ferdinand? Really? :unsure:

citizen k

Garbon is talking about electropop while Kat is talking about new wave.  :huh:

katmai

Quote from: citizen k on November 28, 2009, 12:32:35 AM

I thought the point from what is being called post punk revival of the bands I listed to the electropop garbon is just to show that the trend of 80's music resurgance has been going on in one way for the last 5 years.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Sheilbh

Quote from: citizen k on November 28, 2009, 12:32:35 AM
Electropop grew out of New Wave and post-punk.  Similarly the stuff Garbo's going on about developed out of the trend Kat's talking about. 
Let's bomb Russia!

katmai

Booyah vindicated by the sheilbh.

garbon

Umm, that would put us in the early 80's then. ^_^