News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Dragon Age: Spoiler free

Started by Berkut, November 23, 2009, 09:55:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grallon

Quote from: Valmy on January 06, 2010, 01:35:23 PM

My issue was your run-of-the-mill characterization not the power hungry despot thing.  Nothing you said there makes it sound run-of-the-mill.

I mean Morrigan is a power-hungry evil wizard and that concept is hardly new no?  However her character makes that compelling never-the-less and I believe the same is true with Loghain.

I don't see what you find so remarkable about the man.  He's run-of-the-mill because we've seen this happen countless times in any number of stories.

Whereas Morrigan is a mystery.  If you read the lore there's a reference to a chasind sorceress called Morighana who lived centuries before the events in the game.  For all we know Morrigan is the one sucking the life out of young girls - not Flemeth.  In fact the old Flemeth we kill seemed highly amused by the idea of truth in that particular case.  And there's also the fact that Morrigan suddenly knows how to conduct the ritual mentioned at the endgame.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Winkelried

Quote from: Grallon on January 06, 2010, 11:03:06 AM
Quote from: Queequeg on January 06, 2010, 10:18:34 AM
He is also by far the most interesting character in the game.

Loghain was your run-of-the-mill power hungry despot.  Morrigan is far more interesting.

G.

Morrigan is a text book case of borderline personality disorder.  :yuk:

Valmy

Quote from: Grallon on January 06, 2010, 01:46:49 PM

I don't see what you find so remarkable about the man.  He's run-of-the-mill because we've seen this happen countless times in any number of stories.

Countless times?  Who exactly?  The only figure who comes to mind is Henri Petain.

You don't have to convince me Morrighan is interesting I already agree with you on that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jaron

Loghain was the most brilliant character in Dragon Age.

I viewed him as a war hero willing to do quite anything for his country, even kill its king. I honestly think he saw the Orlesians as a bigger threat than the Darkspawn and has an obsessive paranoia about them.

The FACT the game can end the way it does in regards to Loghain do not mesh well with the model of a power hungry tyrant wanting to seize power. He is simply 100% made of amazing winness and really shines next to a boring tired character like Morrigan or Leliana. Or especially Alistair.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Scipio

Quote from: Queequeg on January 06, 2010, 12:29:26 PM
Quote from: Faeelin on January 06, 2010, 11:07:22 AM

How?
A great man and national liberator who ends up betraying the son of his greatest friend and companion when he asks for the assistance of the people he and his friend fought to save their nation from?  And can ultimately seek redemption?  He is Macbeth rolled in William Wallace.

That said, Morrigan was also very interesting.  I might have preferred Loghain's voice acting though; one of my favorite voice acting roles since Irenicus or Bastilla,  or almost anyone in Arcanum.
Simon Templeman is a stupendous badass, it's true.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Korea

I got a free Shale. Is he any good?
I want my mother fucking points!

Cecil

Queequeg

Best used against enemies with elemental attacks with the appropriate crystal. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Razgovory

Quote from: Winkelried on January 06, 2010, 03:28:57 PM
Quote from: Grallon on January 06, 2010, 11:03:06 AM

Loghain was your run-of-the-mill power hungry despot.  Morrigan is far more interesting.

G.

Morrigan is a text book case of borderline personality disorder.  :yuk:

Morrigan is just a bitch.  That's not crazy or very interesting.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Queequeg

QuoteAlistair: Ah, so the last lamb you had was probably cooked Orlesian style. Food shouldn't be frilly and pretentious like that. Now here in Ferelden, we do things right. We take our ingredients, throw them into the largest pot we can find, and cook them for as long as possible until everything is a uniform grey color. As soon as it looks completely bland and unappetizing, that's when I know it's done.
Leliana: You're having me on.
Alistair: (Laughs) You need to eat in more Fereldan inns.
Something tells me this actual conversation has happened a lot between Englishmen and Frenchwomen. 
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Razgovory

I keep trying to save everyone in RedCliffe.  Someone is dying and I don't know who.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Razgovory on January 08, 2010, 05:51:24 PM
I keep trying to save everyone in RedCliffe.  Someone is dying and I don't know who.
Probably the bartender.  That bastard kept running out beyond the barricades when I was fighting.  Had to keep saving his ass. <_<
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Judas Iscariot on January 08, 2010, 07:13:48 PM
Probably the bartender.  That bastard kept running out beyond the barricades when I was fighting.  Had to keep saving his ass. <_<

Not sure why you'd want to save that one.  I saw him dieing when he ran out and let him.

Grallon

For those of you still playing and interested in veracity - here's a little mod:

Natural Bodies Unofficial Patch
http://www.dragonagenexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=539

Dicks!

http://www.dragonagenexus.com/downloads/images/539-1-1263051878.jpg

Tan Lines

http://www.dragonagenexus.com/downloads/images/539-2-1263051878.jpg

She-males & Strapons

http://www.dragonagenexus.com/downloads/images/539-3-1263051878.jpg

Sadly someone has yet to make a nice loincloth package for male characters.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Queequeg

I'm going to be fucking pissed if Leliana isn't a companion in the expansion.  Why can't games have continuing relationships anymore?  BG2:ToB did.  And it was great.