News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Anti-Minaret Online Referendum

Started by Grallon, November 20, 2009, 10:09:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you in favor of a ban on the building of minarets/mosques?

European - Yes
9 (12.2%)
European - No
26 (35.1%)
North American - Yes
6 (8.1%)
North American - No
31 (41.9%)
Other - Yes
0 (0%)
Other - No
1 (1.4%)
N/A
0 (0%)
Meaningless Jaron Option
1 (1.4%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on November 30, 2009, 05:12:43 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 30, 2009, 05:09:13 PM
So take an Islam appreciation class. :mellow:

Take an anecdote appreciation class. :mellow:

You didn't get all pissy with Dick when he relayed his anecdotes so why are you all pissy with me?

Because you like Vince Young.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Faeelin

Quote from: derspiess on November 30, 2009, 04:46:29 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 30, 2009, 04:22:18 PM
I generally like people...

He has a point, grabon.  My buddy's wife's family (all Indian Muslims) are all very well-educated & in most cases seem pretty down to earth.  But the men in the family seem a bit prone to believe in conspiracy theories & whatnot.  I really like her family, but I steer clear of certain topics when I'm around them.

Eh. How many Americans fear flu shots, think Bush destroyed the Twin Towers, or think Obama is a Kenyan?

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Faeelin on November 30, 2009, 05:15:41 PM
Eh. How many Americans fear flu shots, think Bush destroyed the Twin Towers, or think Obama is a Kenyan?

Way too many?

Point missed I guess.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Quote from: Grallon on November 30, 2009, 11:33:43 AM
Yes this ban represents discrimination against one particular group; but it is warranted by this group's actions around the world. 

Do you even hear yourself? :bleeding:

derspiess

Relatively few among highly educated types. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on November 30, 2009, 05:17:02 PM
Point missed I guess.

Your point seemed like "yeah they are generally nice people although there are some strange things about them." I'm sure they could probably say the same about you and your type.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

Quote from: Grallon on November 30, 2009, 10:36:28 AM
No gay organizations or individuals call for holy war, murder, terror attacks in support of their 'religion' - muslims do.
Martinesian Jihad does.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on November 30, 2009, 05:55:11 PM
I'm sure they could probably say the same about you and your type.

Yeah, but only if he held similarly bizarre beliefs, like Europeans discovered algebra before teh mooselimbs, or something.

Stop trivializing his point.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

grumbler

He has a point, grabon.  My buddy's wife's family (all Indian Muslims) are all very well-educated & in most cases seem pretty down to earth.  But the men in the family seem a bit prone to believe in conspiracy theories & whatnot.  I really like her family, but I steer clear of certain topics when I'm around them.

A far better question would be how many buddy's-brothers-in-law fear flu shots, think Bush destroyed the Twin Towers, or think Obama is a Kenyan.  You seem to be confusing an anecdote about specific individuals with some general rule.  That is always a logical error.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on November 30, 2009, 05:55:11 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 30, 2009, 05:17:02 PM
Point missed I guess.

Your point seemed like "yeah they are generally nice people although there are some strange things about them." I'm sure they could probably say the same about you and your type.
He was talking about specific people.  What is Valmy's "type" that is the equivalent of his bud's bros-in-law?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

Sheilbh

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 30, 2009, 04:09:37 PM
I find the muslims in my district to be better behaved than the white majority, they seem to be hardworking family-oriented people, you know.......their mosque doesn't even have a minaret  :P

When reading the papers I find it impossible to reconcile the lurid accounts of Islam with my day-to-day reality. Of course it is harder for a denizen of Dorset to make such direct observations.
Yeah.  A problem I always have when people bemoan the lack of moderate Muslims is that I think 'well I know the moderate Muslims.  I went for a coffee with one of them last week.'  So yeah I find it difficult to reconcile too.
Let's bomb Russia!

Faeelin

Quote from: grumbler on November 30, 2009, 09:51:56 PM

A far better question would be how many buddy's-brothers-in-law fear flu shots, think Bush destroyed the Twin Towers, or think Obama is a Kenyan.  You seem to be confusing an anecdote about specific individuals with some general rule.  That is always a logical error.

Valmy's comment was "The Muslims I know have some kooky beliefs," to which ders responded, "That's a valid point. Muslims I also know have some kooky beliefs." This does not suggest "anecdotally, this group of Muslims I know have kooky beliefs", but rather "I notice a pattern of Muslims having kooky beliefs."

So, yea.

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on November 30, 2009, 09:53:08 PM
He was talking about specific people.  What is Valmy's "type" that is the equivalent of his bud's bros-in-law?

I guess dull, white people. Quirky in their own entirely unoriginal and boring way. :swiss:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.