News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Anti-Minaret Online Referendum

Started by Grallon, November 20, 2009, 10:09:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you in favor of a ban on the building of minarets/mosques?

European - Yes
9 (12.2%)
European - No
26 (35.1%)
North American - Yes
6 (8.1%)
North American - No
31 (41.9%)
Other - Yes
0 (0%)
Other - No
1 (1.4%)
N/A
0 (0%)
Meaningless Jaron Option
1 (1.4%)

Total Members Voted: 72

katmai

Beeb I'm sure it is a haven for those nutzo "albertan" seperatists.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Razgovory

Quote from: Grallon on November 29, 2009, 08:51:22 PM
We are pleased.  The Swiss show the way; being welcoming is one thing - tolerating an invasion in the name of multiculturalism is another.

G.

Zurich, 1482.  The burning of two sodomites.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: dps on November 29, 2009, 11:03:18 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 29, 2009, 01:58:46 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on November 29, 2009, 01:50:48 PM
I doubt the swiss are the only country that would vote for this sort of thing. I wonder if it would pass in the US--unfortunately I suspect it might.

I think the majority of Americans would have spiess's attitude- not against it in principle, but don't see a reason to bother implementing a ban now.

:)

God, I'd hope that most people would be opposed to it on principle.  I'm not sure what other reason there would be to oppose it, other than that it violates the basic right to free exercise of religion.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

Quote from: Neil on November 29, 2009, 09:06:26 PM
I dunno.  The minaret thing doesn't seem important.  What is important is to deny permission for Muslim cultural centres (read:  terrorist recruitment centres), which Switzerland is doing a good job with.
They haven't done that though.
Surely from that stand point its better to have muslim buildings stand out and be obviously what they are than secretely hidden away in office buildings?
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Martinus on November 29, 2009, 04:48:30 PM
Uhm, ever heard of a constitution/bill of rights concept?  :huh:
Or representative democracy.

I agree with grumbler.  I find it very sad that if you actually support liberal values you're seen as being somehow to weak to protect liberalism.
Let's bomb Russia!

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: dps on November 29, 2009, 11:03:18 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 29, 2009, 01:58:46 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on November 29, 2009, 01:50:48 PM
I doubt the swiss are the only country that would vote for this sort of thing. I wonder if it would pass in the US--unfortunately I suspect it might.

I think the majority of Americans would have spiess's attitude- not against it in principle, but don't see a reason to bother implementing a ban now.

God, I'd hope that most people would be opposed to it on principle.  I'm not sure what other reason there would be to oppose it, other than that it violates the basic right to free exercise of religion.

they can exercise their religion all they want, no minarets are needed. Christians don't need churchbells either.

"The mosques are our barracks, the domes our helmets, the minarets our bayonets and the faithful our soldiers... "
A little poem by Erdogan no less. It's from quite a while ago but it remains telling, even if maybe Erdogan himself doen't subscribe to it anymore (though there is no way of knowing for sure).
Make enough veiled threats or call for 'our' destruction enough and a backlash is all but assured.

As it is the people at large weren't asked about mass-immigration, and when they voiced their fears or pointed out problems they were hounded away by the politicians and poco-loco-organisations on the left. No, instead they were told to be inclusive and to show understanding.
This is the result you get when people are eventually asked. The good get to suffer because of the bad, as always.

Jaron

More silly talk from Europeans. After what we Americans have been through, did we possibly expect them to ever understand what freedom of religion is?
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on November 29, 2009, 10:26:54 PM
Quote from: Neil on November 29, 2009, 09:06:26 PM
I dunno.  The minaret thing doesn't seem important.  What is important is to deny permission for Muslim cultural centres (read:  terrorist recruitment centres), which Switzerland is doing a good job with.

Because clearly Lac La Biche, Alberta is a terrorist recruitment centre. :rolleyes:

It looks like an act of terrorism against good taste. :P

garbon

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on November 30, 2009, 02:29:54 AM
they can exercise their religion all they want, no minarets are needed. Christians don't need churchbells either.

"The mosques are our barracks, the domes our helmets, the minarets our bayonets and the faithful our soldiers... "
A little poem by Erdogan no less. It's from quite a while ago but it remains telling, even if maybe Erdogan himself doen't subscribe to it anymore (though there is no way of knowing for sure).
Make enough veiled threats or call for 'our' destruction enough and a backlash is all but assured.

As it is the people at large weren't asked about mass-immigration, and when they voiced their fears or pointed out problems they were hounded away by the politicians and poco-loco-organisations on the left. No, instead they were told to be inclusive and to show understanding.
This is the result you get when people are eventually asked. The good get to suffer because of the bad, as always.

So were mosques banned as well?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: garbon on November 30, 2009, 03:23:36 AM
evidently not, but where the future will lead I know not.

Duque de Bragança

In other news, Muslim dictators will still need Swiss bank accounts.

Winkelried

I voted "no" on principle, it infringes freedom of religion and doesn't solve any problems at all. I'm surprised at the amount of "yes" votes let alone the fact that it passed.  :blink:

Mr.Penguin

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on November 30, 2009, 03:28:42 AM
Quote from: garbon on November 30, 2009, 03:23:36 AM
evidently not, but where the future will lead I know not.

Well, back in the day of the muhammed cartoons, did we have so called "international experts" claiming that we in didnt have any mosques in Denmark, becourse non of them had a minarat, so no minarat, no mosque...

Funny enough, most of our local muslims didnt see it  that way, but then again what our local muslims say or though was largely seen as irrelevant doing the muhammed cartoon crisis...
Real men drag their Guns into position

Spell check is for losers

bogh

Very retarded.

Compromising on the principles of freedom of religion just to harrass a certain religion is very silly IMO.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on November 30, 2009, 02:32:01 AM
It looks like an act of terrorism against good taste. :P

It looks like a Russian Orthodox Church woke up one day and decided it wanted to be in a trailer park.