News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Anti-Minaret Online Referendum

Started by Grallon, November 20, 2009, 10:09:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you in favor of a ban on the building of minarets/mosques?

European - Yes
9 (12.2%)
European - No
26 (35.1%)
North American - Yes
6 (8.1%)
North American - No
31 (41.9%)
Other - Yes
0 (0%)
Other - No
1 (1.4%)
N/A
0 (0%)
Meaningless Jaron Option
1 (1.4%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Solmyr

Quote from: Razgovory on November 29, 2009, 08:24:40 PM
God forbid that moderate Muslims move in.  Lets get some more of those crazies from Pakistan.

Ah yes, those mythical moderate muslims, who are never heard speaking out against the extremists in their religion and indeed act all understanding when someone blows up a bus.

The Larch

Just to put things into some perspective, here are a few pictures of the threats against western civilization and values that we're talking about:

And that's it. Those are all the minarets that currently exist in Switzerland, a grand total of four minarets that threaten the very fabric of society.

As a comparison, there are more minarets in the poster campaigning for the ban than in the whole country:

DisturbedPervert

That's great news there are only 4.  Much less demolition work to be done.

The Larch

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on November 30, 2009, 12:29:40 PM
That's great news there are only 4.  Much less demolition work to be done.

They won't be demolished, the ban is on the construction of new ones.

Solmyr

Quote from: garbon on November 30, 2009, 12:20:20 PM
A real solution is banning a piece of architecture? If I look at BB's Canadian example, that's the equivalent of a chimney. Forgive me if I don't think banning such will stop the negative effects of radical islam.

It's become a solution because as Ivan said, every other proposed solution gets immediately shot down by the PC brigade and the originators get called racist bigots etc, etc. The whole radicalization of European voters on this issue that we are now witnessing stems from this.

DisturbedPervert

The Larch

Quote from: Solmyr on November 30, 2009, 12:33:06 PM
It's become a solution because as Ivan said, every other proposed solution gets immediately shot down by the PC brigade and the originators get called racist bigots etc, etc. The whole radicalization of European voters on this issue that we are now witnessing stems from this.

It's not a solution, it's a small minded way to stick it to the muslims without even adressing any perceived problem. It just sends the message that muslims are not welcome.

garbon

An course of action that does nothing to alleviate a situation is not a solution.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Grallon on November 30, 2009, 11:33:43 AM
The building is the expression of an idea or a complex of ideas.  This idea was rejected by a majority of voters in Switzerland.  Yes this ban represents discrimination against one particular group; but it is warranted by this group's actions around the world. 
They've not banned Mosques, they've banned minarets.

QuoteBesides I see these results as a reaction of the people against its elites and their handling of the consequences of immigration - as much, if not more, than it is against muslims.
I think you would have had a point a decade ago I think there's been a sea change in discourse about immigration in Europe and possibly elsewhere.  Frankly I also think that discriminating against a small group in society that are often already discriminated against in socio-economic terms to get back at the 'elite' won't have much effect.  What it'll actually do is discriminate against a small minority.  I don't think anti-elite populism justifies victimisation of a portion of society - because really you're targeting the 'elite - is right and I think it's deeply distasteful.

I entirely agree with Malthus's post.  I find the self-pitying, anti-liberal screeds of the European anti-immigrant right absolutely infuriating.  If you want to take pride in liberalism - which we probably should, though I'm not wholly supportive of it - then surely the way to do that is to apply liberal values; not to target and discriminate a particular section of the population.  Hearing some Europeans talking about minority groups they sounds like a wifebeater getting all upset about how he had to hit her.
Let's bomb Russia!

Solmyr

You have a better proposed solution to the muslim immigrant and islamic global terrorism problems, that won't be denounced by the multiculturalists as racist? I'm all ears.

Richard Hakluyt

It is not a solution though, it is a nasty petty-minded move that can only be counter-productive.

Far better for Swiss citizens to press for their laws to be applied equally and fairly to all.

Sheilbh

I think that's bullshit.  The reason people cry racist is because a lot of it stems from racism or xenophobia.  Did the UK tabloids and many people turn on the Poles because they kept blowing up buses?  Do the French not hire people with Arabic sounding names because they're so Goddamn tired of the liberal elite?

No.  It's because they don't like foreigners; which is an understandable reaction to what's still the first experience Europe's ever had of mass immigration.  But the truth is that immigration will never work in Europe if you won't get a job because your name's Mohammed even if you spend every waking minute reading Hugo and that you'll still get the piss taken out of you, no matter how integratable you are, because your from Lodz.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 30, 2009, 12:40:53 PM
It is not a solution though, it is a nasty petty-minded move that can only be counter-productive.

Far better for Swiss citizens to press for their laws to be applied equally and fairly to all.

It's now been said three times. I wonder if Solmyr will understand what is *not* a solution.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Solmyr on November 30, 2009, 12:39:00 PM
You have a better proposed solution to the muslim immigrant and islamic global terrorism problems, that won't be denounced by the multiculturalists as racist? I'm all ears.
What's your proposed solution to Muslim immigration and Islamic global terrorism?  As far as I can tell it's to make Muslims not want to move here because we're architecturally unwelcoming and a global moratorium on Arabesque towers.  I mean I can think of a number of better solutions than that.
Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

Perhaps we should ban flock wallpaper in Bangladeshi restaurants while we are at it?

bah  :mad: