News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Anti-Minaret Online Referendum

Started by Grallon, November 20, 2009, 10:09:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you in favor of a ban on the building of minarets/mosques?

European - Yes
9 (12.2%)
European - No
26 (35.1%)
North American - Yes
6 (8.1%)
North American - No
31 (41.9%)
Other - Yes
0 (0%)
Other - No
1 (1.4%)
N/A
0 (0%)
Meaningless Jaron Option
1 (1.4%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Sheilbh

:bleeding:

This is why I hate direct democracy.
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 29, 2009, 11:47:19 AM

"The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."

I hope Switzerland gets around to banning homosexuality in the near future, as long as they are getting their bigots off their asses and to the polls.  The furor that would arouse would be most amusing.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Neil

Quote from: grumbler on November 29, 2009, 11:57:46 AM
Isn't that just the way of things though.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Jaron

If a million Muslim rise up against this, will the Swiss shoot twice and go home?
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Josquius

Ouch. Switzerland has just lost a lot of respect in my book...wonder how other countries will treat this.
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

This must be that sophistication and tolerance we here so much about in European culture.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Slargos

A small victory, but an important one.  :cheers:

Cecil

Quote from: grumbler on November 29, 2009, 11:57:46 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on November 29, 2009, 11:47:19 AM

I hope Switzerland gets around to banning homosexuality in the near future, as long as they are getting their bigots off their asses and to the polls.  The furor that would arouse would be most amusing.

Considering they voted to approve gay marriage (civil union) a few years back dont hold your breath. ;)

Jacob

Ancient Demon

Won't it damage the Swiss reputation for neutrality that they just declared war on Islam?
Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

Neil

Quote from: Ancient Demon on November 29, 2009, 01:26:15 PM
Won't it damage the Swiss reputation for neutrality that they just declared war on Islam?
The Swiss aren't entirely neutral.  They've always been anti-barbarism,with the exception of the Slav lands, who are included in the civilized world by tradition from the time when they were ruled by Germans.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

alfred russel

Quote from: Tyr on November 29, 2009, 12:47:45 PM
Ouch. Switzerland has just lost a lot of respect in my book...wonder how other countries will treat this.

I doubt the swiss are the only country that would vote for this sort of thing. I wonder if it would pass in the US--unfortunately I suspect it might.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Eddie Teach

Quote from: alfred russel on November 29, 2009, 01:50:48 PM
I doubt the swiss are the only country that would vote for this sort of thing. I wonder if it would pass in the US--unfortunately I suspect it might.

I think the majority of Americans would have spiess's attitude- not against it in principle, but don't see a reason to bother implementing a ban now.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Solmyr

It's funny how the main talking point against the ban was "don't vote for the ban, or the muslims might respond with violence, look what happened to Denmark!" Fuck, I'd vote for the ban too just to spite this kind of thinking. Seriously, when being worried about violent retribution is the main reason you oppose certain policies, something is rotten.

Syt

Also, the Swiss voted against banning the export of weapons and military goods.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.