News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Anti-Minaret Online Referendum

Started by Grallon, November 20, 2009, 10:09:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you in favor of a ban on the building of minarets/mosques?

European - Yes
9 (12.2%)
European - No
26 (35.1%)
North American - Yes
6 (8.1%)
North American - No
31 (41.9%)
Other - Yes
0 (0%)
Other - No
1 (1.4%)
N/A
0 (0%)
Meaningless Jaron Option
1 (1.4%)

Total Members Voted: 72

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on November 29, 2009, 05:08:05 PM
The US constitution has a very checkered history of preventing tyranny of the majority to be honest.  The Freedom of speech protection didn't do much in the 1950s and earlier.  I've already mentioned Jim Crow laws.  The internment of Japanese during WWII.  Segregation.

God damn America!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Barrister on November 29, 2009, 04:54:20 PM
I am well aware of a bill of rights.  And lets take the example of the US.  The US Bill of Rights didn't prevent slavery, it didn't prevent Jim Crow laws, it allowed discrimination against homosexuals until very recently (and even now has done little in the whole gay marriage debate).

The Bill of Rights did not prevent slavery because the constitution was designed to permit slavery and the Bill of Rights were not drafted to prevent it.

The Bill of Rights (post 14th amendment) was used to invalidate Jim Crow and it was used to invalidate at least certain discrimination vs. gays at times in history where majority opinion favored such discrimination.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Barrister on November 29, 2009, 04:54:20 PM
Quote from: Martinus on November 29, 2009, 04:48:30 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 29, 2009, 04:36:53 PM
Quote from: Malthus on November 29, 2009, 04:12:53 PM
I would have thought a better talking point would have been 'singling out members of a particular religion for minor repression of their expression based on nothing but dislike of the majority of the population for practitioners of said religion and their "alien" ways goes against Western values of freedom and equality'.

To my mind, removing issues like this from the ambit of direct democracy via constitutional means is the best idea: avoids the 'three wolves and two sheep voting on what's for dinner' aspect that always arises when the majority get to vote on the rights of a minority.

I dunno - this move by Swiss voters is narrow-minded and bigoted.  But voters have the right to make the wrong choice from time to time.  You can't protect the voters from themselves without worse consequences in the long run.

Uhm, ever heard of a constitution/bill of rights concept?  :huh:

Or are you saying that a country like the US - with the basic rights of the people enshrined in the constitution that is not subject to whims of the mob (at least not to the same degree a direct democracy referendum is) is the sure way to lead to "worse consequences in the long run"?  :huh:

I am well aware of a bill of rights.  And lets take the example of the US.  The US Bill of Rights didn't prevent slavery, it didn't prevent Jim Crow laws, it allowed discrimination against homosexuals until very recently (and even now has done little in the whole gay marriage debate).

I'm sure you're also familiar with the UK, which has no written constitution or bill of rights, and yet has historically been amongst the freest of societies.

I firmly believe that respect for minorities and human rights must come from within the society, and not externally imposed.

Yeah, and with that unwritten constitution they seem well on their way to 1984 style surveillance. Cameras everywhere, massive DNA database, etc.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Jaron

WE are the ones WE'VE been waiting for.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 29, 2009, 07:05:30 PM
Yeah, and with that unwritten constitution they seem well on their way to 1984 style surveillance. Cameras everywhere, massive DNA database, etc.
That's the price of freedom.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Another word for nothing left to lose.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: Cecil on November 29, 2009, 01:16:23 PM
Considering they voted to approve gay marriage (civil union) a few years back dont hold your breath. ;)
Considering that the outcome of these kinds of votes depends on who is motivated to vote, don't be surprised if future votes overturn past ones. ;)
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Solmyr on November 29, 2009, 02:00:33 PM
It's funny how the main talking point against the ban was "don't vote for the ban, or the muslims might respond with violence, look what happened to Denmark!" Fuck, I'd vote for the ban too just to spite this kind of thinking. Seriously, when being worried about violent retribution is the main reason you oppose certain policies, something is rotten.
It's also funny that the main talking point in favor of the ban was that "minarets represent militant Islam and Sharia law!"  :lol:  Fuck, I'd vote twice against the ban just to punish pinheads for pinheaded thinking.

I think it is pretty amazing that in a country that considers itself civilized, this would even make it on the ballot.  I don't think even the Polacks or the Irish have done referenda this stupid.

However, it won't make any difference to my lifespan, and there are aparently only 4 minarets in Switzerland now, so this isn't an issue of great significance to me other than to show that those Euro balls o' light are as racist as the people on the next continent.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Faeelin on November 29, 2009, 03:09:05 PM
Quote from: derspiess on November 29, 2009, 02:52:04 PM
:nelson @ all you limp-wristed Diversity types.

I had no idea letting Bosnians build minarets flew in face of common sense.
Derspiess is a member of the Cult of Anti-Diversity.   Cultists don't do "common sense."

Bayraktar!

Neil

Quote from: grumbler on November 29, 2009, 07:23:20 PM
However, it won't make any difference to my lifespan, and there are aparently only 4 minarets in Switzerland now, so this isn't an issue of great significance to me other than to show that those Euro balls o' light are as racist as the people on the next continent.
Hatred of Islam isn't racism, you ignorant fuck.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

grumbler

Quote from: Neil on November 29, 2009, 07:27:20 PM
It sure can be, you stupid twat.

Bayraktar!

garbon

Oh my, we've certainly more than that.

Neil

Quote from: grumbler on November 29, 2009, 07:30:28 PM
Quote from: Neil on November 29, 2009, 07:27:20 PM
It sure can be, you stupid twat.
But it is not in this case, as the majority of Swiss muslims are European.  Cocksucker.

grumbler

Quote from: Neil on November 29, 2009, 07:38:36 PM
But it is not in this case, as the majority of Swiss muslims are European.  Cocksucker.
The nationality of the actual Muslims doesn't effect how racists vote on what they think is the issue, Your Assholiness.

Bayraktar!

Neil

Quote from: grumbler on November 29, 2009, 07:40:23 PM
Quote from: Neil on November 29, 2009, 07:38:36 PM
The nationality of the actual Muslims doesn't effect how racists vote on what they think is the issue, Your Assholiness.
I would argue that it would be difficult for you to speak intelligently on the motivations of a Swiss voter against the minarets.  Moreover, given the lack of other anti-slav laws, I think to claim racism is foolish.  DICK.