News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Anti-Minaret Online Referendum

Started by Grallon, November 20, 2009, 10:09:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you in favor of a ban on the building of minarets/mosques?

European - Yes
9 (12.2%)
European - No
26 (35.1%)
North American - Yes
6 (8.1%)
North American - No
31 (41.9%)
Other - Yes
0 (0%)
Other - No
1 (1.4%)
N/A
0 (0%)
Meaningless Jaron Option
1 (1.4%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Martim Silva

Quote from: Jaron on November 29, 2009, 12:37:03 PM
If a million Muslim rise up against this, will the Swiss shoot twice and go home?

There are only 400,000 Muslims in Switzerland, and vast majority come from Bosnia (i.e. not darkies).

As for, I am split on the issue. While I defend freedom of religion (heck, when I was in highschool the Saudis and Saddam built a Mosque right next to us, and they were very friendly*, on the other hand I secretly - and kinda hipocritically, I'll admit  :blush: - would like to see a ban on the construction of any and all religions buildings, be they Mosques, Churches, Synagogues and the rest. Maybe then people would start depending on themselves and not on the Big Spook in the Sky Who Plays Hide and Seek with Aeroplanes.

(and yes, I know the referendum was just about Minarets, not Mosques)

*: The girls hated them. The Muslims would not let them enter the Mosque.

derspiess

:nelson @ all you limp-wristed Diversity types.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jaron

Quote from: derspiess on November 29, 2009, 02:52:04 PM

Is there something wrong with diversity?
Winner of THE grumbler point.

derspiess

Quote from: Jaron on November 29, 2009, 02:57:25 PM

Is there something wrong with diversity?

In & of itself, not too much.  But when it becomes the highest priority & flies in the face of common sense, yeah, there's plenty wrong with the Cult of Diversity.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Faeelin

I had no idea letting Bosnians build minarets flew in face of common sense.

Jaron

Europeans tore the world apart and rebuilt it with Europe at the center of all civilization and then grow restless and angry when the very people they once conquered look upon the white continent as their home too. Such nerve.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Malthus

Quote from: Solmyr on November 29, 2009, 02:00:33 PM
It's funny how the main talking point against the ban was "don't vote for the ban, or the muslims might respond with violence, look what happened to Denmark!" Fuck, I'd vote for the ban too just to spite this kind of thinking. Seriously, when being worried about violent retribution is the main reason you oppose certain policies, something is rotten.

I would have thought a better talking point would have been 'singling out members of a particular religion for minor repression of their expression based on nothing but dislike of the majority of the population for practitioners of said religion and their "alien" ways goes against Western values of freedom and equality'.

To my mind, removing issues like this from the ambit of direct democracy via constitutional means is the best idea: avoids the 'three wolves and two sheep voting on what's for dinner' aspect that always arises when the majority get to vote on the rights of a minority.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on November 29, 2009, 04:12:53 PM
I would have thought a better talking point would have been 'singling out members of a particular religion for minor repression of their expression based on nothing but dislike of the majority of the population for practitioners of said religion and their "alien" ways goes against Western values of freedom and equality'.

Over analyze it, will you? :rolleyes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

To my mind, removing issues like this from the ambit of direct democracy via constitutional means is the best idea: avoids the 'three wolves and two sheep voting on what's for dinner' aspect that always arises when the majority get to vote on the rights of a minority.

I dunno - this move by Swiss voters is narrow-minded and bigoted.  But voters have the right to make the wrong choice from time to time.  You can't protect the voters from themselves without worse consequences in the long run.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on November 29, 2009, 04:36:53 PM

I dunno - this move by Swiss voters is narrow-minded and bigoted.  But voters have the right to make the wrong choice from time to time.  You can't protect the voters from themselves without worse consequences in the long run.

Uhm, ever heard of a constitution/bill of rights concept?  :huh:

Or are you saying that a country like the US - with the basic rights of the people enshrined in the constitution that is not subject to whims of the mob (at least not to the same degree a direct democracy referendum is) is the sure way to lead to "worse consequences in the long run"?  :huh:

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on November 29, 2009, 04:48:30 PM

Or are you saying that a country like the US - with the basic rights of the people enshrined in the constitution that is not subject to whims of the mob (at least not to the same degree a direct democracy referendum is) is the sure way to lead to "worse consequences in the long run"?  :huh:

I am well aware of a bill of rights.  And lets take the example of the US.  The US Bill of Rights didn't prevent slavery, it didn't prevent Jim Crow laws, it allowed discrimination against homosexuals until very recently (and even now has done little in the whole gay marriage debate).

I'm sure you're also familiar with the UK, which has no written constitution or bill of rights, and yet has historically been amongst the freest of societies.

I firmly believe that respect for minorities and human rights must come from within the society, and not externally imposed.

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on November 29, 2009, 04:54:20 PM
Quote from: Martinus on November 29, 2009, 04:48:30 PM

I am well aware of a bill of rights.  And lets take the example of the US.  The US Bill of Rights didn't prevent slavery, it didn't prevent Jim Crow laws, it allowed discrimination against homosexuals until very recently (and even now has done little in the whole gay marriage debate).

I'm sure you're also familiar with the UK, which has no written constitution or bill of rights, and yet has historically been amongst the freest of societies.

I firmly believe that respect for minorities and human rights must come from within the society, and not externally imposed.

Are you saying that the US constitution is "externally imposed"? Wow, those Yanks really have a wrong idea about that entire "independence" thing, then.

Sorry, but your argument makes little sense. The US constitution does not address every issue or right it should (it was written in another time, for one) but to the extent it does address a right, it has served a good role in preventing the tyranny of majority.

Your views sometimes strike me as really odd, to be honest...  :huh:

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on November 29, 2009, 04:59:58 PM
Are you saying that the US constitution is "externally imposed"? Wow, those Yanks really have a wrong idea about that entire "independence" thing, then.

Sorry, but your argument makes little sense. The US constitution does not address every issue or right it should (it was written in another time, for one) but to the extent it does address a right, it has served a good role in preventing the tyranny of majority.

Your views sometimes strike me as really odd, to be honest...  :huh:

No, I'm saying that the attempts by the courts to impose human rights are "externally imposed" on the populace.

The US constitution has a very checkered history of preventing tyranny of the majority to be honest.  The Freedom of speech protection didn't do much in the 1950s and earlier.  I've already mentioned Jim Crow laws.  The internment of Japanese during WWII.  Segregation.

My point of view perhaps can be understood by remembering a bit of Canadian history.  We didn't have a written Charter of Rights until 1982, historically very recent (and within my living memory).  We weren't a police state in 1981, and we didn't become a shining model of human rights in 1983.  In fact I think the state of our democracy was stronger pre-Charter, but I am in the minority view on this.

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on November 29, 2009, 05:08:05 PM
In fact I think the state of our democracy was stronger pre-Charter, but I am in the minority view on this.
True, but supporters of the Charter aren't big fans of democracy.  The only thing that is important to them is evil.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on November 29, 2009, 04:54:20 PM

Key word. ;)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.