[Gay] Lesbians parents better at raising children

Started by ulmont, November 17, 2009, 09:37:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 17, 2009, 05:06:41 PM
If that is true, and repression is the cause of people not recognizing their "true" sexuality then statistically one would expect that when that pressure is removed more people would recognize that they are in fact gay.  But it turns out that doesn happen at all.  Homosexual parents dont have a greater percentage of homosexual children.

One logical inference from that data is you are wrong about your observation that sexuality is not elastic but merely repressed just as you are wrong about me being some kind of malicious closet homophobe - not to mention all the other craziness you spout.

Another logical inference is that repression takes all sorts of forms and even having openly gay parents can't change that.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on November 17, 2009, 05:10:20 PM
Another logical inference is that repression takes all sorts of forms and even having openly gay parents can't change that.

I suppose but then I dont really know what you mean by repression.  Care to elaborate?

I frankly dont really understand what the objection is to the observation that sexuality is elastic.  Clearly people's sexuality can change over time.  Isnt that being elastic?

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 17, 2009, 05:14:17 PM
I suppose but then I dont really know what you mean by repression.  Care to elaborate?

I frankly dont really understand what the objection is to the observation that sexuality is elastic.  Clearly people's sexuality can change over time.  Isnt that being elastic?

I didn't say that I had an issue with the term elastic (after all I'm not Marty) just that I don't think it follows from your support.

I think repression is not being honest to yourself about your sexual preferences at any given time, and perhaps with the corollary that it is causing you some sort of distress.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Clearly people's sexuality can change over time.  Isnt that being elastic?

Yeah I disagree but then I tend to lean towards the nature part of the nature/nurture debate.  I mean if I wanted to change my sexuality how would I go about it?

But hey it is not like I have never been wrong about something before.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on November 17, 2009, 05:28:19 PM
I think repression is not being honest to yourself about your sexual preferences at any given time, and perhaps with the corollary that it is causing you some sort of distress.

I see.  Isnt repression something that is caused by another party though.  What you are describing is self delusion which I concede is equally possible with both straight and gay parents.  But the kind of repression described by Marti is only possible with straight parents - hence the flaw in his logic.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on November 17, 2009, 05:29:56 PM
Yeah I disagree but then I tend to lean towards the nature part of the nature/nurture debate.  I mean if I wanted to change my sexuality how would I go about it?

But hey it is not like I have never been wrong about something before.

You dont conciously do it.  At least I dont think you do.  I didnt wake up one morning and say "Ok thats it, I like girls!"  That is another thing Marti got wrong in his rant.  Saying that sexuality is a elastic isnt saying its a matter of choice.  There is likely a longer list of factors influencing sexuality then we will ever really know.  What we do know however, is that sexuality can change over time.

Malthus

Clearly people's sexuality can change over time.  Isnt that being elastic?

Well, we could start by locking you up in an all-male prision for a few years ...  ;)

[On a serious note: "situational homosexuality"]
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on November 17, 2009, 05:55:59 PM

Is that how they explain the Royal Navy?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on November 17, 2009, 05:58:22 PM

No.  The Royal Navy only recruited gays and people that were gay but didnt know it.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on November 17, 2009, 05:58:22 PM

Yep.

Though the rum and the lash probably helped.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 17, 2009, 05:30:45 PM
I see.  Isnt repression something that is caused by another party though.  What you are describing is self delusion which I concede is equally possible with both straight and gay parents.  But the kind of repression described by Marti is only possible with straight parents - hence the flaw in his logic.

Psychological repression is the involuntary psychological act of excluding desires and impulses (wishes, fantasies or feelings) from one's consciousness and holding or subduing them in the unconscious.

That's from wiki, but I think it is fine in a pinch.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Berkut on November 17, 2009, 09:44:30 AM
I actually would not find it at all surprising if gay couples were lsightly better parents than the general population.
Neither would I.  Straight couples accidentally become parents - which doesn't mean that those parents will necessarily be bad at it.  But I think generally the couples who have thought it through very intently before becoming parents would do better.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

I'm typically on the nurture side although I don't know what to make of sexuality. Anyway, trying to have sex with guys would be a start.

Valmy

Well, we could start by locking you up in an all-male prision for a few years ...  ;)

Having sex with men because there are no women available would not change my sexuality :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."