[Gay] Lesbians parents better at raising children

Started by ulmont, November 17, 2009, 09:37:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on November 18, 2009, 10:05:34 AM
Really?

That is surprising. I would guess that you would know a lot more non-straight people than I do, yet I know at least a couple bisexual people who never ended up jut being gay.

My best friends sister went from being in monogamous relationships with a woman, to a guy who she was engaged with, to another woman she almost married, then finally married a guy and now has a child. I guess at some point she could go back to "just" being gay, and you would be right, but it seems rather unlikely - she isn't really the type to do much of anything other than what she wants. She certainly is not going back and forth because she is conflicted about her sexuality, but simply (according to her) because she likes both men and women.

Well I was thinking he was just talking about men and in that case, I have to agree. I've never met a bisexual man who was actually bisexual.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: The Brain on November 18, 2009, 10:20:00 AM
Bis are just failed straight people.

Actually, that's not far off of how I self-identify: "too gay to be straight, but too straight to be gay."
Experience bij!

The Brain

Quote from: DontSayBanana on November 18, 2009, 10:27:47 AM

Actually, that's not far off of how I self-identify: "too gay to be straight, but too straight to be gay."

I am insightful, and not without reason.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on November 18, 2009, 10:18:06 AM
How can you be sure you are not already locked in the virtual reality world, with all your thoughts and sensations being fed to you neurally by the yi-hive-mind.

"We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?"

Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Bis can't stick with one sex; but there are some who can't stick with one species. ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Eddie Teach

That brings up the question of whether Brain has ever been in a donkey show.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Berkut

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 18, 2009, 10:35:47 AM
That brings up the question of whether Brain has ever been in a donkey show.

Playing what role?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on November 18, 2009, 10:20:30 AM
Well I was thinking he was just talking about men and in that case, I have to agree. I've never met a bisexual man who was actually bisexual.
Yeah, more or less.  I've never known a real older bisexual woman.  Only sexually exhibitionist uni (and high school) girls who, though they'd kiss other girls, would only ever really sleep or get into a relationship with men.  I generally avoided them.  They seemed to have issues.

I should say I'm not wholly convinced by lesbianism.  One of my closest friends is a lesbian, though she's currently sleeping with a guy.  The other lesbians I've known (at least the pretty ones) seem to have less of an issue with that.  I think lesbians are more 'fluid' whereas most gay men I know just wouldn't sleep with a woman under almost any circumstances.
Let's bomb Russia!

Caliga

I've known a number of lesbians whom I cannot ever conceive of being in a hetero relationship, and I'm sure they feel the same way.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Sheilbh

Quote from: Malthus on November 18, 2009, 09:31:10 AM
The reason so many seek a "fag leaf" (heh) is that homosexuality, particularly male homosexuality, is so fraught with difficulty in our society (though increasingly less so). Different social pressures leads to a different outcome - it simply can't be the case that ancient Greeks were just "by nature" more prone to certain forms of homosexuality.
I broadly agree with that.  Though I still lean to the nature side.  I think sexuality is rather like gender.  You may have a biological sex or sexuality - a preference which is largely driven by nature but also, undoubtedly influenced by nurture.  What your sexuality or your gender then is - what that sex or that preference means - is largely influenced, perhaps even defined by your social and cultural background.

Having said that there's a book on Greek sexuality I want to buy because I hope it'll answer whether we know anything about the sexuality of the vast majority of the Greeks.  My understanding is that most of what we know about the gay stuff and much of Greek society comes from what was effectively a wealthy upper class.  As Britain's history demonstrates it's perfectly possible to have a society in which the upper class are a bunch of buggers while the lower and middle classes are puritanly missionary in their sexual attitudes.  Perhaps it's impossible to know about it because a lot of what we know about the less-favoured classes of Greek society come from archaeology, like pot shards, from which it's difficult to try and work out a whole society.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on November 18, 2009, 10:44:02 AM
I've known a number of lesbians whom I cannot ever conceive of being in a hetero relationship, and I'm sure they feel the same way.

Female sexuality has baffled man for centuries.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on November 18, 2009, 11:02:23 AM
Quote from: Caliga on November 18, 2009, 10:44:02 AM

Female sexuality has baffled man for centuries.
I still like to think it doesn't exist :)
Let's bomb Russia!

Martinus

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 18, 2009, 10:47:32 AM
Having said that there's a book on Greek sexuality I want to buy because I hope it'll answer whether we know anything about the sexuality of the vast majority of the Greeks.  My understanding is that most of what we know about the gay stuff and much of Greek society comes from what was effectively a wealthy upper class.  As Britain's history demonstrates it's perfectly possible to have a society in which the upper class are a bunch of buggers while the lower and middle classes are puritanly missionary in their sexual attitudes.  Perhaps it's impossible to know about it because a lot of what we know about the less-favoured classes of Greek society come from archaeology, like pot shards, from which it's difficult to try and work out a whole society.

Uhum, this is pretty much my take on it as well. In any case, any society or social class where arranged marriages are a norm would, imo, have a higher tolerance for extra-marital sexual relationships, at least when engaged in by men (women for obvious reasons would be still ostracized for being adulterous).

The historical uniqueness of our society, when it comes to sexuality, imo, is less connected to the tolerance for homosexual sex, but more to the concept of non-heterosexual identity being central to one's marital relations - I think most societies tolerated buggery to a certain (if varying degree), especially if engaged in by upper classes. We are however unique in tolerating people who identify as homosexual to the exclusion of "normal" heterosexual marriage.

That is why I also think the term "gay" is inapplicable to anything before the 20th century.