[Gay] Lesbians parents better at raising children

Started by ulmont, November 17, 2009, 09:37:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on November 17, 2009, 06:04:19 PM
I'm typically on the nurture side although I don't know what to make of sexuality. Anyway, trying to have sex with guys would be a start.

Would having sex with girls change your sexuality?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 17, 2009, 06:03:57 PM
Quote from: Berkut on November 17, 2009, 09:44:30 AM
I actually would not find it at all surprising if gay couples were lsightly better parents than the general population.
Neither would I.  Straight couples accidentally become parents - which doesn't mean that those parents will necessarily be bad at it.  But I think generally the couples who have thought it through very intently before becoming parents would do better.

You're coming into the conversation late.

I don't think gay couples become parents any more deliberately than do straight couples.  In particular, most gay couples (in my anecdotal experience) have children as a result of one or both of them being in a previously straight relationship.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on November 17, 2009, 06:54:10 PM
I'm typically on the nurture side although I don't know what to make of sexuality. Anyway, trying to have sex with guys would be a start.

He might grow to like it.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Faeelin

Quote from: Barrister on November 17, 2009, 07:03:06 PM
I don't think gay couples become parents any more deliberately than do straight couples.  In particular, most gay couples (in my anecdotal experience) have children as a result of one or both of them being in a previously straight relationship.

Herm. I am trying to think of a nice way to suggest this is an age thing.

Eddie Teach

Most couples your age don't have any kids, Fae.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on November 17, 2009, 07:03:06 PM
Okay but there's still a proportionally higher number of adoptions - which are difficult and thought through.  In my own anecdotal experience I've known more gay men who were married and have since come out (and lost custody) than lesbians who had children.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on November 17, 2009, 06:53:38 PM
Quote from: Malthus on November 17, 2009, 05:55:59 PM
Well, we could start by locking you up in an all-male prision for a few years ...  ;)

[On a serious note: "situational homosexuality"]

Having sex with men because there are no women available would not change my sexuality :P

Try it and find out.  Tell the wife first though.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Faeelin

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 17, 2009, 07:21:15 PM
Most couples your age don't have any kids, Fae.

That's certainly true, although a horrifying number of them are getting married. But I'm not sure the sample result would be the same based on age and location. Growing up in Jersey, the lesbians we knew had their kid artificially, through mad science.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Faeelin on November 17, 2009, 07:35:10 PM
That's certainly true, although a horrifying number of them are getting married. But I'm not sure the sample result would be the same based on age and location. Growing up in Jersey, the lesbians we knew had their kid artificially, through mad science.
I know of a lot of people my age getting married.  Most of them are hard-core Christians gagging for a shag.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on November 17, 2009, 06:54:10 PM

You said that you didn't even know where to begin. :P

And if changing sexuality just means moving it from a check one box to something more fluid, I could possibly see that for myself. After all, there are some women that I would consider having sex with - although it would certainly at this point be more laborious than gay sex.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 17, 2009, 05:33:02 PM
What we do know however, is that sexuality can change over time.

I don't think we know that. Do we?

Anecdotally, I can think of three instances of "sexuality changing over time":
- straight people in prisons, monasteries and the like adopting homosexual behaviour,
- people who considered themselves straight coming out as gay at a later age,
- gay people "praying the gay away" (or undergoing other form of a "therapy") to go straight.

Each can be easily explained away psychologically as something else than "sexuality changing over time".

What I know - and perhaps that's what you mean by your term "elastic" - is that sexuality is not binary.

I know straight guys who (despite what gays may fantasize) would not have sex with another guy no matter what. I know predominantly straight guys who occasionally enjoy a shag with another guy. I know guys who swing both ways in equal measure. I know gay guys who are capable of having straight sex with a girl from time to time. And I know guys like me who never even entertained the thought of having sex with a girl, or dating or kissing one - the very idea disgusts me.

It may seem like for people who are capable of swinging both ways (whether in equal measure or with a focus on one sex over the other), sexuality "can change over time", but I don't think this is the case.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on November 18, 2009, 02:33:36 AM
Anecdotally, I can think of three instances of "sexuality changing over time":
- straight people in prisons, monasteries and the like adopting homosexual behaviour,
- people who considered themselves straight coming out as gay at a later age,
- gay people "praying the gay away" (or undergoing other form of a "therapy") to go straight.

4- Anne Heche

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on November 17, 2009, 05:29:56 PM
Yeah I disagree but then I tend to lean towards the nature part of the nature/nurture debate.  I mean if I wanted to change my sexuality how would I go about it?

I think it is nature AND nurture. The problem with the nurture side of the equation, however, is that too many people equate it with more or less conscious, or at least visible and understandable aspects of upbringing, whereas I think it's more a whole range of environmental influences or "triggers" that are beyond our control.

katmai

Can we all agree that

everybody> marti
when it comes to parenting
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Martinus

Quote from: katmai on November 18, 2009, 02:41:35 AM
Can we all agree that

everybody> marti
when it comes to parenting

No. The woman with a 4 yo. in a freezer was worse.