News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Euro angst is tasty

Started by Ed Anger, November 17, 2009, 11:17:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

Quote from: Monoriu on November 18, 2009, 04:14:57 AM
The best strategy is for everybody else to limit their CO2 emissions, while China does nothing.  China alone will not make a difference. 
China will (or already has?) surpass the US as biggest CO2 emitter. Without them, it is pretty pointless.

Anyway, global warming will create very serious problems for China. Once all those glaciers in Tibet have melted, China will have even more serious water issues than it has now. The Yellow River is already gone, expect the Yangtze to follow.

Strix

Quote from: Monoriu on November 18, 2009, 10:24:14 AM
Even if the Chinese government want to comply, it'll be next to impossible to enforce.  Local governments and private firms frequently pay lip service to central government edicts, especially when their economic interests are threatened.  You can't get them to respect copyrights, and you can't make them care about global warming.

China and India together with the ROTW need to make an effort because anything else is a waste of time. As China and India expand their industry and people become more prosperous CO2 emissions will increase exponentially.

Eventually the choice faced by the ROTW if China and India aren't willing to go along is if nuking them would be worse for the environment than their CO2 emissions.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Neil

Quote from: Monoriu on November 18, 2009, 10:24:14 AM
Even if the Chinese government want to comply, it'll be next to impossible to enforce.  Local governments and private firms frequently pay lip service to central government edicts, especially when their economic interests are threatened.  You can't get them to respect copyrights, and you can't make them care about global warming.
You'd be amazed how mass executions can convince people.  That's the advantage of a barbarian state like China.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.