Movies You Shouldn't Have Seen While Young?

Started by Queequeg, November 17, 2009, 12:57:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 17, 2009, 07:53:58 PM
Quote from: Malthus on November 17, 2009, 11:17:54 AM
Quote from: Valmy on November 17, 2009, 11:12:14 AM
Quote from: Octavian on November 17, 2009, 07:57:03 AM
The Pinocchio and the donkeys thing scared me when I was a kid   :lol:

Nothing funny about that.  That scene is fucked up man.  Disney was a bunch of sick bastards back in the day.

Never saw Pinocchio - there's a scene with Pinocchio and donkeys in it? It isn't set in a Mexican bordello, by chance?  :lol:
Worse.

It's #5

http://www.cracked.com/article/160_7-horrifying-moments-from-classic-kids-movies/

Heh, true; I'd rather be condemned to a Mexican bordello show than the salt mines.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Tyr on November 17, 2009, 09:13:47 PM
None come right to mind for me. The strangest things got to me when I was a kid though; traditional horror films were just meh, I had too short an attention span and found them too boring to sit down and watch them and understand what was going on.
I think I understood films were all make believe from a early age but what always used to get to me was bad things happening to non-sentinents in films; in Hook where the baby is abandoned in the park I started crying in the cinema and for ages after that kept asking my mam where thing's parents were (trees, dogs, etc...), also when animals get killed in films...I think it was Highlander...And Terminator. Totally fine for most of the film but when the dogs get it I was very upset.

I don't get the mentions of aliens here. One of my friends loved that film when we were in primary school I remember. It didn't affect me much.

My kid is most upset, not by gore and shock-fright, but rather by situations in which sympathetic characters are quarrelling and fighting among themselves.

For example - he didn't like Toy Story when he was 3 because the two lead characters get angry with each other and start to fight.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Tonitrus

Pretty tame compared to many already mentioned...but recall that I loved watching "Conan the Barbarian" at a rather young age....and all sorts of other early, quite violent Sword & Sorcery films (Beastmaster, etc).

HVC

Quote from: Syt on November 17, 2009, 10:01:39 AM
Oh yeah, when I was at school, 10 or 11, so it was around 1986, we read "The last children of Schewenborn", a rather graphic depiction of life after the nuclear holocaust in Germany (complete with family slowly dieing of radiation disease, miscarriages, infanticide of malformed offspring .... ). A couple weeks later I saw The Day After. The latter still gives me the chills when I watch it.
I think i saw that as a badly acted short film in high school as part of my Modern Western Civ class.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Martinus

Not a movie, but for some reason the thing I was scared the most as a kid was a cover of a book with some Warsaw legends, showing the Warsaw "cockatrice" (being a rooster with beady eyes and a snake tail). I still can't understand why I was so afraid of it.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Martinus on November 18, 2009, 01:22:51 PM
Not a movie, but for some reason the thing I was scared the most as a kid was a cover of a book with some Warsaw legends, showing the Warsaw "cockatrice" (being a rooster with beady eyes and a snake tail). I still can't understand why I was so afraid of it.

I figured you'd love a cock monster.

Thank you, I'll be here all weak. Try the veal and be sure to tip your waitress!
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Martinus

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 18, 2009, 05:04:39 PM

Thank you, I'll be here all weak. Try the veal and be sure to tip your waitress!

Well, you are always all weak.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Martinus on November 18, 2009, 05:06:45 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on November 18, 2009, 05:04:39 PM

Well, you are always all weak.

D'oh!

Ed Anger

Note to self: eat dinner before engaging in verbal swordplay. No food makes Homer make spelling mistakes.

CountDeMoney

Lassie movies made me cry when I was little.

sbr

Quote from: Syt on November 17, 2009, 02:13:42 AM
Quote from: katmai on November 17, 2009, 02:01:14 AM
Yet what scared me the most?
Snow white and Pinocchio at like age 4.  :P

7 Horrifying Moments from Classic Kids Movies

I always hatred the Charlie and the Chocolate boat scene when I was younger; I had forgotten about the Childsnatcher in Chitty Chitty Bangbang, that scared me when I was younger too.

Other than that the flyign monkeys in Wizard of OZ freaked me out too.  I can't think of any real horror movies I saw too young, if anything I saw most of them years after most people already had.  :Embarrass:

Scipio

Gone With the Wind.

That movie is fucking terrible racist propaganda lost cause fucking bullshit.  Fucking fuck.  Damn right he doesn't give a damn, you worthless bitch!
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

MadImmortalMan

I didn't understand Blade Runner at all when I saw it as a child. Until I watched it later in life I never saw the appeal. Now, it's one of my all-time favorites.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers