News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Movies You Shouldn't Have Seen While Young?

Started by Queequeg, November 17, 2009, 12:57:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

I saw what was surely a cheesy horror movie when I was a kid - I've forgotten the name of it, but there was a scene which frightened the shit out of me and kept me up many a night.

These kids go into a haunted house, and they get seperated. One of the kids is missing. The other kids hunt after him a bit, don't find him, and go home, thinking the kid has left before them. Of course he hadn't, and so the parents go to the haunted house to search for him - and find him in a perfecty bare room, naked and covered with fine scratches, circling and staring up at a burnt-out lightbulb, totally insane - just making little moaning noises.

The scary part was that they don't reveal why, leaving it to the imagination.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Caliga

Oh, I forgot to mention The Woman in Black, which I found extremely scary as a kid (and it still is, having watched it again a few years ago).
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Strix

I saw Jaws when I was 4 or 5. I lived next to a lake. It made for a rough summer at the beach. Than I saw Squirm the next year. It made for a rough time trying to catch nightcrawlers to go fishing with.

EDIT:

And there was their weird movie on WPIX (Channel 11 in NYC) when I was little. I think it was called Don't Be Afraid of the Dark. Scared me shitless. It had to do with these little things that lived inside an old house and took people. I lived in a very old house with a lot of odd passageways and rooms.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Ed Anger

Amusingly, when I went to see Dragonslayer a year or so later, it was no problem. So the Friday the 13th movie toughened me up.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Quote from: Strix on November 17, 2009, 09:42:07 AM
I saw Jaws when I was 4 or 5. I lived next to a lake. It made for a rough summer at the beach. Than I saw Squirm the next year. It made for a rough time trying to catch nightcrawlers to go fishing with.
I remember seeing Jaws and thinking it was "awesome", not scary.  This might be because, at the time, my uncle was an avid shark fisherman. :smoke:  I still have all these shark body parts he gave me (teeth, dorsal fins, etc.)

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on November 17, 2009, 09:44:41 AM
Quote from: Strix on November 17, 2009, 09:42:07 AM
I remember seeing Jaws and thinking it was "awesome", not scary.  This might be because, at the time, my uncle was an avid shark fisherman. :smoke:  I still have all these shark body parts he gave me (teeth, dorsal fins, etc.)

Heh, I went to see Jaws when I was a kid - at a theatre in the good old US of A, as I was staying with my parents at Wood's Hole (the place where the scientist in the movie comes from).  :D My dad was working at the huge marine biology labs there (an awesome place to be a kid, let me tell you).

Made swimming lessons in the ocean interesting that year. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

DisturbedPervert

I think I was actually better at watching scary movies as a kid than I am now.  I try to avoid them now while I sought them out when younger.

Caliga

Yeah I think you mentioned that once befroe Mal.  That sounds awesome.  :cool:

Interestingly, my uncle lives on Long Beach Island, where the New Jersey shark attacks of 1916 started... which are what inspired Benchley to write Jaws.  I don't think he ever caught a great white shark, but I know he caught tiger sharks, hammerheads, sand sharks, and (I think) lemon sharks.  The dorsal fin he cut off and gave me was from a tiger shark.

Syt

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 17, 2009, 08:20:11 AM
Friday the 13th(the original one). The Woody Woodpecker cartoon beforehand was awesome. I think I was 8 or 9 at the time.

Actually what scared the living fuck out of me when I was a kid was not a movie but a section in the Dayton Daily news that described a fictional nuclear attack on Wright Patterson wit 2 400kt warheads. I was living in the vaporization/die instantly area. And the description of the Mayor of Dayton bleeding out of the eyes in the basement of city hall was freaky as hell.

The Cold War. Gotta love it.

Oh yeah, when I was at school, 10 or 11, so it was around 1986, we read "The last children of Schewenborn", a rather graphic depiction of life after the nuclear holocaust in Germany (complete with family slowly dieing of radiation disease, miscarriages, infanticide of malformed offspring .... ). A couple weeks later I saw The Day After. The latter still gives me the chills when I watch it.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Caliga

Due to my love of things like Wasteland, Fallout, A Canticle for Leibowitz, and so on, I actually kinda think a nuclear apocalypse would be cool (assuming I survived the blasts + fallout + nuclear winter).  :blush:

Malthus

Speaking of which - when I was a kid I went to Saturday school (Jew school), where we got lessons on Jewish history - including of course the Holocaust. One of the older members of the congregation was a survior and they brought him in to tell stories about it, and they showed movies - lots of naked emaciated bodies being bulldozed into pits, that sort of thing.

After that, horror movies really couldn't compete. 

Syt

Quote from: Caliga on November 17, 2009, 10:02:55 AM
Due to my love of things like Wasteland, Fallout, A Canticle for Leibowitz, and so on, I actually kinda think a nuclear apocalypse would be cool (assuming I survived the blasts + fallout + nuclear winter).  :blush:

Oh, I still like postaopcalyptic stuff - but more on a pulp level, not on a THIS COULD HAPPEN ANYTIME level to be honest. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Caliga

Quote from: Malthus on November 17, 2009, 10:05:26 AM
Speaking of which - when I was a kid I went to Saturday school (Jew school), where we got lessons on Jewish history - including of course the Holocaust. One of the older members of the congregation was a survior and they brought him in to tell stories about it, and they showed movies - lots of naked emaciated bodies being bulldozed into pits, that sort of thing.

Killjoy  :(

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on November 17, 2009, 10:08:09 AM
Quote from: Malthus on November 17, 2009, 10:05:26 AM

Killjoy  :(

Didn't give me nighmares though, since it all seemed so unreal and bizzare. If you made Nazis up, they would not be believable. But they did make uber-cool villians.

After that, my artwork tended to feature Nazis being bombed and shot.  :D

Valmy

Quote from: Octavian on November 17, 2009, 07:57:03 AM
The Pinocchio and the donkeys thing scared me when I was a kid   :lol:

Nothing funny about that.  That scene is fucked up man.  Disney was a bunch of sick bastards back in the day.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."