News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Movies You Shouldn't Have Seen While Young?

Started by Queequeg, November 17, 2009, 12:57:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on November 17, 2009, 11:12:14 AM
Quote from: Octavian on November 17, 2009, 07:57:03 AM
The Pinocchio and the donkeys thing scared me when I was a kid   :lol:

Nothing funny about that.  That scene is fucked up man.  Disney was a bunch of sick bastards back in the day.

Never saw Pinocchio - there's a scene with Pinocchio and donkeys in it? It isn't set in a Mexican bordello, by chance?  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

DontSayBanana

I've always avoided scary movies, but my parents let me watch things like Monty Python and the Meaning of Life or Cheech and Chong's Next Movie by the time I was 9 years old.
Experience bij!

Solmyr

Quote from: Syt on November 17, 2009, 01:04:15 AM
A movie that truly scared the bejeezus out of me was The Blob (original with Steve McQueen) when I was 6.

I've seen that one when I was 10 or so and it was scary as hell.

Berkut

I remember when my parents watched The Excorist, and the kids were certainly forbidden from watching.

I snuck out of my room and watched from the hallway to the living room. That was probably not a great idea.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Solmyr

I also saw Hellraiser 1 and 2 when I was 10. :bleeding:

Queequeg

Quote from: Malthus on November 17, 2009, 10:05:26 AM
Speaking of which - when I was a kid I went to Saturday school (Jew school), where we got lessons on Jewish history - including of course the Holocaust. One of the older members of the congregation was a survior and they brought him in to tell stories about it, and they showed movies - lots of naked emaciated bodies being bulldozed into pits, that sort of thing.

After that, horror movies really couldn't compete.
:lol:
I was a foot-taller blonde kid in a Jewish preschool, and they talked about the Holocaust quite a bit.  There were children's holocaust books were all these blonde people were gathering up Jewish families.  I think that probably has a lot to do with some of my crazyness; I always felt kind of responsible for it. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Grey Fox

That sexy movie with Rosie O'donnel.

My Eyes!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

BuddhaRhubarb

that stuck with me beyond childhood: none that I can think of. The Shining is still hard for me to watch, even innocuous scenes to me are dripping with dread, as I know what's coming. But I wasn't a kid when I first saw it. I was a teenager when it came out.

edit I think I recall one. I saw Peckinpah's "White Dog" on TV as a kid back in the day, and was scared of white dogs/ or any scary looking breed for a long time afterwards.
:p

Berkut

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on November 17, 2009, 12:46:55 PM
that stuck with me beyond childhood: none that I can think of. The Shining is still hard for me to watch, even innocuous scenes to me are dripping with dread, as I know what's coming. But I wasn't a kid when I first saw it. I was a teenager when it came out.

Such a very good movie.

Funny how hard it is to make a good horror flick.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Caliga

Quote from: Queequeg on November 17, 2009, 11:39:52 AM
I was a foot-taller blonde kid in a Jewish preschool, and they talked about the Holocaust quite a bit.  There were children's holocaust books were all these blonde people were gathering up Jewish families.  I think that probably has a lot to do with some of my crazyness; I always felt kind of responsible for it.
When I was in preschool, I thought about playing with Star Wars action figures and Matchbox cars.  :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 17, 2009, 11:46:33 AM
That sexy movie with Rosie O'donnel.

My Eyes!
:lol: Yeah, seriously: WHAT.  WERE.  THEY.  THINKING.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

crazy canuck

Three movies I wish I had never seen as a kid.

Jaws (which I saw in the movie theatre) - still look at the ocean with a bit of fear;

Rosemary's baby and the Exorcist.  Why in hell did I stay up late and sneak into the TV room to watch those movies?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Malthus on November 17, 2009, 11:17:54 AM
Quote from: Valmy on November 17, 2009, 11:12:14 AM
Quote from: Octavian on November 17, 2009, 07:57:03 AM
The Pinocchio and the donkeys thing scared me when I was a kid   :lol:

Nothing funny about that.  That scene is fucked up man.  Disney was a bunch of sick bastards back in the day.

Never saw Pinocchio - there's a scene with Pinocchio and donkeys in it? It isn't set in a Mexican bordello, by chance?  :lol:
Worse.

It's #5

http://www.cracked.com/article/160_7-horrifying-moments-from-classic-kids-movies/
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Korea

I want my mother fucking points!

Josquius

None come right to mind for me. The strangest things got to me when I was a kid though; traditional horror films were just meh, I had too short an attention span and found them too boring to sit down and watch them and understand what was going on.
I think I understood films were all make believe from a early age but what always used to get to me was bad things happening to non-sentinents in films; in Hook where the baby is abandoned in the park I started crying in the cinema and for ages after that kept asking my mam where thing's parents were (trees, dogs, etc...), also when animals get killed in films...I think it was Highlander...And Terminator. Totally fine for most of the film but when the dogs get it I was very upset.

I don't get the mentions of aliens here. One of my friends loved that film when we were in primary school I remember. It didn't affect me much.
██████
██████
██████