And we're back!

Main Menu

Euro angst is tasty

Started by Ed Anger, November 17, 2009, 11:17:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: alfred russel on November 17, 2009, 09:22:47 PM
This is the conclusion of Obama's primary victory speech:

QuoteBecause if we are willing to work for it, and fight for it, and believe in it, then I am absolutely certain that generations from now, we will be able to look back and tell our children that this was the moment when we began to provide care for the sick and good jobs to the jobless; this was the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal; this was the moment when we ended a war and secured our nation and restored our image as the last, best hope on earth. This was the moment—this was the time—when we came together to remake this great nation so that it may always reflect our very best selves and our highest ideals.

I remembered this speech because because of how spectacularly it was detached from reality.

Like Fae said, already been posted.

I'm still wondering though why we are the last hope.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: garbon on November 18, 2009, 12:51:02 AM
Like Fae said, already been posted.

I'm still wondering though why we are the last hope.

Still pretty sure it's an artificially high view of US citizens' political efficacy.
Experience bij!

Monoriu

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 17, 2009, 11:17:19 AM

Only if the US manages to reduce its excessive energy consumption, commit itself to mandatory CO2 emission reduction targets and help finance the move away from oil for poorer countries, is there still a chance that countries like China and India will do the same and that a dangerous warming of the Earth can be stopped. On the weekend, Obama announced that there would be no agreement on binding rules in Copenhagen. It was the admission of a massive failing -- and the prelude to a truly dramatic phase of international climate policy.

:lmfao: I'd say, even if the US does all those things, the chance of China following is nil.

Fate

Quote from: Monoriu on November 18, 2009, 03:26:46 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on November 17, 2009, 11:17:19 AM

Only if the US manages to reduce its excessive energy consumption, commit itself to mandatory CO2 emission reduction targets and help finance the move away from oil for poorer countries, is there still a chance that countries like China and India will do the same and that a dangerous warming of the Earth can be stopped. On the weekend, Obama announced that there would be no agreement on binding rules in Copenhagen. It was the admission of a massive failing -- and the prelude to a truly dramatic phase of international climate policy.

:lmfao: I'd say, even if the US does all those things, the chance of China following is nil.

I think we'll all benefit when China's coast looks like this:

Hopefully we'll be able to sink Beijing with some more work.

Tamas

Quotefew hints about immigration reform.

:perv:

Monoriu

The best strategy is for everybody else to limit their CO2 emissions, while China does nothing.  China alone will not make a difference. 

Iormlund

If the big players really wanted China to comply, you would have to. It'd be as easy as closing the markets to producers that do not meet certain standards.

Tamas

Quote from: Iormlund on November 18, 2009, 08:18:37 AM
If the big players really wanted China to comply, you would have to. It'd be as easy as closing the markets to producers that do not meet certain standards.

lost votes of fanatical darkgreens < lost votes of pipple not geting their cheap chinese stuff

Monoriu

Quote from: Iormlund on November 18, 2009, 08:18:37 AM

And it'll be as easy as not buying any US treasury bonds to send their economy down the abyss  :P

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

alfred russel

Quote from: Faeelin on November 17, 2009, 09:27:38 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on November 17, 2009, 09:22:47 PM
This is the conclusion of Obama's primary victory speech:

I quoted it earlier.  :cry:

:blush:

Great minds think alike?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

garbon

Quote from: Monoriu on November 18, 2009, 10:10:50 AM
And it'll be as easy as not buying any US treasury bonds to send their economy down the abyss  :P

Indeed. Not very easy.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Monoriu

Quote from: garbon on November 18, 2009, 10:16:42 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on November 18, 2009, 10:10:50 AM

Indeed. Not very easy.

Even if the Chinese government want to comply, it'll be next to impossible to enforce.  Local governments and private firms frequently pay lip service to central government edicts, especially when their economic interests are threatened.  You can't get them to respect copyrights, and you can't make them care about global warming. 

derspiess

Quote from: Tamas on November 18, 2009, 04:14:23 AM
Quotefew hints about immigration reform.

:perv:

Sorry, the Dems don't want to let you in.  They just want floods of Mexicans that will vote Democrat.

But I'd open the gates for you & pretty much any other Euro willing to assimilate immediately (or pre-assimilated) :hug:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive