Afghanistan News: Obama says NO to everything!

Started by CountDeMoney, November 11, 2009, 09:22:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

My concern is that Obama gives off the perception of being indecisive, which is very damaging just by itself, regardless of how justified that perception is.

KRonn

Quote from: DGuller on November 12, 2009, 11:58:46 AM
My concern is that Obama gives off the perception of being indecisive, which is very damaging just by itself, regardless of how justified that perception is.
Good point. And political foes will try to make him seem that way too.

Tamas

Yep. Watching from afar, indecision is the only thing I have seen from him so far.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on November 12, 2009, 12:11:54 PM

Yep. Watching from afar, indecision is the only thing I have seen from him so far.

Nothing wrong with that at all.  Being decisive usually means being a fool.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

Quote from: Valmy on November 12, 2009, 12:13:12 PM
Like in most things, there is a happy medium.  Being either rash or indecisive is bad, especially in matters of war.

The Brain

Quote from: DGuller on November 12, 2009, 12:16:04 PM
Like in most things, there is a happy medium.  Being either rash or indecisive is bad, especially in matters of war.

Irrelevant. He won the Peace Prize, not the War Prize.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on November 12, 2009, 12:16:04 PM

True true.

I vastly prefer Presidents who are overcautious than those who make idiotic decisions in a misguided attempt to be a "strong leader" or whatever.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Viking

Quote from: Hansmeister on November 12, 2009, 12:02:03 AM
Obama is voting "present" on Afghanistan.

I hate it when Hansmeister's snarky anti-Obamaism makes perfect sense.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

OttoVonBismarck

Obama is looking for a way to "manage" Afghanistan.  He can't openly advocate a cut-and-run because he knows he'll be blasted for "losing the war."  He can't openly advocate a higher troop commitment without being blamed for "expanding the war."

Ultimately this is a live grenade for his Presidency because I don't think he or his people fully understand how it will affect him politically.

His strategy on health care reform has essentially been to push as much of it off onto Congress so that they take the worst of the beating.  With health care reform he knows if he gets anything out he can placate any part of his base that feels the plan didn't "do enough" by pointing to Republicans and Blue Dog Democrats as reasons for it not being as robust as the far left would like.  On the flip side people "in the middle" will probably end up with something that isn't so odious it's a deal breaker on voting for him again.  He already knows he won't get the far right so (correctly) he isn't too concerned with them. 

Unfortunately as Commander-in-Chief he can't distribute the blame to a bunch of suits in Congress and there isn't really a huge list of various alternatives.  Sure there is a huge list of various alternatives but in reality and to the public there are two options:  "slowly draw back" or "expand the conflict."  Doesn't matter how many different shades those two options are colored in, those are the only two options possible and both have the potential to cause an immense uproar from Americans.

Ideally for Obama Afghanistan just continues to simmer on the back burner and isn't a big issue in the next election (there's a genuine potential for this), the danger is he makes a decision and then things get "big" and then whatever decision he makes is going to be used against him.

Admiral Yi

Being decisive often means recognizing that you are choosing the lesser of two evils and that deferring that decision for later only makes the outcomes worse.  If he decides to withdraw a year from now the dead soldiers will have died for nothing.  If he decides to increase troops in a year the Taliban will be that much stronger when we engage them.

alfred russel

Maybe Obama realizes that the whole campaign is pointless, but he has to reconcile that with his campaign strategy of running as a Afghanistan hawk (probably to appear centrist while running as a dove on the more topical issue of Iraq).
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

Quote from: alfred russel on November 12, 2009, 05:30:20 PM
Maybe Obama realizes that the whole campaign is pointless, but he has to reconcile that with his campaign strategy of running as a Afghanistan hawk (probably to appear centrist while running as a dove on the more topical issue of Iraq).
He has reconciled his campaign rhetoric a number of times.  I think the difference this time is that his pollsters are telling him any real choice will have real negative political consequences for him.  If he cuts and runs the right will flay him mercilessly and the center could get upset about the consequences of Taliban rule in (at least the Pashtun areas of) Afghanistan.  If he ups the ante the left will blubber and the center will have a limited attention span to wait for positive results.

Fate

The left isn't going to bolt over an expansion of the Afghanistan war. It's too far away and involves too few individuals to produce anything similar to a Vietnam era liberal revolt.

I suppose the center may have little tolerance for increased causalities without short term results. But the alternative would be a Republican who advocates the same thing?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Fate on November 12, 2009, 05:48:29 PM
The left isn't going to bolt over an expansion of the Afghanistan war. It's too far away and involves too few individuals to produce anything similar to a Vietnam era liberal revolt.

I suppose the center may have little tolerance for increased causalities without short term results. But the alternative would be a Republican who advocates the same thing?
There are political consequences short of voting for the opposition.