Afghanistan News: Obama says NO to everything!

Started by CountDeMoney, November 11, 2009, 09:22:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 17, 2009, 06:31:00 AM
I'm very annoyed at the media coverage because they keep on saying about the need for a new strategy or a change in strategy.
During the Bush administration the media started using the word strategy to mean "results" because it made them sound sophisticated and thoughtful.  The public and the media are not qualified to evaluate different counterinsurgency strategies and are not all that interested.

Ed Anger

Crassus had the right counter insurgency strategy.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Hansmeister

I've been invited to give a speech about Afghanistan strategy on January 11th.  I'll post the video afterwards.

Fate

Quote from: Hansmeister on November 17, 2009, 05:28:02 PM
I've been invited to give a speech about Afghanistan strategy on January 11th.  I'll post the video afterwards.

Will it be on Glenn Beck?

Caliga

Have you worked out what the general theme will be yet?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

citizen k

Quote from: Caliga on November 18, 2009, 11:57:07 AM
He's still waiting on Obama. ;)

Hansmeister

My audience will mostly be opposed to our involvement in Afghanistan on either libertarian or jacksonian grounds, so I will in part have to make a case for our long-term comittment to Afghanistan.  I'll have to explain the difference between counterterrorism and counterinsurgency.  I'll also will have to be prepared to talk about Obama's decision (if any) and obama's decision-making process, though I'm not sure if I address it as part of my speech or only during question-ad-answer session.  That will probably depend in part what decision (if any) Obama eventually makes.

I'll have over a month to get ready so that is plenty of time.  I only had two days to prepare the speech about the evolution of military tactics during GWOT and less than two weeks for the speech on Iran, so this gives me a long time to prepare.

KRonn

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 17, 2009, 06:31:00 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 16, 2009, 05:05:27 PM
I haven't heard or read anything about a revamped strategy.  I thought the issue on the table was McChrystal's request for more troops.  And there are plenty of political reasons to hold off on that question.
I'm very annoyed at the media coverage because they keep on saying about the need for a new strategy or a change in strategy.  MacChrystal's report was barely about the need for more troops, that was about 5 pages, it was precisely about a change in strategy.  If they just wanted more troops I'd be very suspicious, but they want both troops and a new strategy which could work.

That was my understanding also, that MacChrystal's recommendations were about changes in strategy along with the request for numbers of troops.

Admiral Yi

What are the Jacksonian grounds for opposing involvement in Afghanistan? :huh:

You're talking about Meade Jacksonians, right?

Ed Anger

Quote from: Hansmeister on November 18, 2009, 12:33:13 PM
My audience will mostly be opposed to our involvement in Afghanistan on either libertarian or jacksonian grounds, so I will in part have to make a case for our long-term comittment to Afghanistan.  I'll have to explain the difference between counterterrorism and counterinsurgency.  I'll also will have to be prepared to talk about Obama's decision (if any) and obama's decision-making process, though I'm not sure if I address it as part of my speech or only during question-ad-answer session.  That will probably depend in part what decision (if any) Obama eventually makes.

I'll have over a month to get ready so that is plenty of time.  I only had two days to prepare the speech about the evolution of military tactics during GWOT and less than two weeks for the speech on Iran, so this gives me a long time to prepare.

I suggest lots of crotch chops and insulting their saint Rand.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Hansmeister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 18, 2009, 04:50:51 PM
What are the Jacksonian grounds for opposing involvement in Afghanistan? :huh:

You're talking about Meade Jacksonians, right?
Andrew Jackson, actually. It's a "don't fuck with us" attitude that supports punitive expeditions but not long term committments.

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Darth Wagtaros

The sound like commie liberal traitors.  Their views are unimportant and should be ignored.
PDH!

Admiral Yi

Carl Levin and David Obey have proposed paying for any troop increase in Afghanistan with....a tax surcharge on the rich!  :D