20th anniversary of the Fall of the Berlin Wall

Started by Zanza, November 09, 2009, 12:33:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Warspite

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 11, 2009, 10:13:57 AM
Not in their cultures I guess.

Americans travel a lot & move even more. Just look at Thanksgiving.

Um, what?
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Valmy

I know one Euro nationality that travels and that is the Germans.  You cannot go to any tourist destination in the US without running into a bunch of Germans with the obvious exception of those places only interesting to Americans like Gettysburg.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on November 11, 2009, 11:39:03 AM
I know one Euro nationality that travels and that is the Germans.  You cannot go to any tourist destination in the US without running into a bunch of Germans with the obvious exception of those places only interesting to Americans like Gettysburg.
When I was in Nashville, I went into a BBQ joint down the street from the Country Music Hall of Fame and there was a family of Danes there.  Dudes were fucking GIANTS.  The dad and his sons were all close to seven feet tall.  But anyway there were alot of foreigners around there.  Tons of Japanese tourists in the museum as well.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Zanza

Germans spend the most on international tourism in absolute numbers (i.e. more than the Japanese and Americans), so it's true that you can find Germans in about every tourist destination in the world.

stjaba

Quote from: Valmy on November 09, 2009, 03:30:19 PM
But if you never experienced the Cold War you sort of take its ending for granted and do not really appreciate how different the world was back then.  Nobody back in 1988 could have known the Soviet Union would not still be around in 2009.  I took a Russian History class and one of our books was "Mikhail Gorbachev, leading the Soviet Union into the 21st century" published in early 1989.

Growing up, I had World Book Encyclopedia Yearbooks for 1968-1989. The yearbooks had feature articles in the front that usually discussed trends, predictions, etc. One of my favorites was the 1989 article discussing North and South Korea, and East and West Germany. The basic gist of the article was that East and West Germany were unlikely to reunify any time soon because East Germany had a strong consumer culture, relative to its neighbors. Meanwhile, the Koreas were on track to re-unite sometimes in the 90s.  :lol:

stjaba

Quote from: Zanza on November 11, 2009, 12:04:30 PM
Germans spend the most on international tourism in absolute numbers (i.e. more than the Japanese and Americans), so it's true that you can find Germans in about every tourist destination in the world.

Does international travel mean outside of Germany, or outside of Europe?

Zanza

Quote from: stjaba on November 11, 2009, 12:08:22 PMDoes international travel mean outside of Germany, or outside of Europe?
Outside of Germany. Why would it mean outside of Europe?  :huh:

stjaba

Quote from: Zanza on November 11, 2009, 12:12:04 PM
Quote from: stjaba on November 11, 2009, 12:08:22 PMDoes international travel mean outside of Germany, or outside of Europe?
Outside of Germany. Why would it mean outside of Europe?  :huh:

It's just a weird comparison between Germany and the United States. Germany is surrounded by many countries within close driving or train distance, compared to the US, in which that is only true for people who live close to Mexico or Canada. I'm sure Americans spend more on tourism, international or otherwise, than Germans. IMO A more "equal" comparison would be money spent per capita on inter-continental travel, but that would harder to quantify

The Brain

Growing up I visited all major cities in Sweden.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

dps

Quote from: The Brain on November 11, 2009, 12:36:30 PM
Growing up I visited all major cities in Sweden.

So you've been to Stockholm and Malmo. 

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

The Germans I saw going apeshit at the WWII German displays at the Air Force Museum was hilarious.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Syt

Battlefields in the U.S. are on my list of things to visit when I have mucho time and money.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Zanza

Quote from: stjaba on November 11, 2009, 12:28:55 PMI'm sure Americans spend more on tourism, international or otherwise, than Germans.
I would expect that too. The point I wanted to make wasn't that Germans travel the most in the world or so. I just wanted to support Valmy's assertion that they travel a lot.