20th anniversary of the Fall of the Berlin Wall

Started by Zanza, November 09, 2009, 12:33:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

This was definitely the best day in German history. While I can't really remember it (being 7 years old then), reading and hearing about it now brings tears to my eyes.

The 9th November is generally considered the "Day of Fate" for Germany as it also saw the Reichskristallnacht, the Beer Hall Putsch, the proclamation of the republic in 1919, and the execution of Robert Blum which signified the end of the Liberal Revolution in 1848.

garbon

I was going to go the celebration being held, but I didn't feel like standing in the cold to see Lech Walesa and Bon Jovi. :huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Heh, for me at least the Cold War is not ancient history - it seems so odd that it is already for some.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

But I was moved by the temporary domino art installation and when I happened upon the East Side Gallery.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Man I remember that day.  I still consider it the most historic event to occur in my lifetime.  It is not even close.

It never occured to me I would see the Cold War end...and then it happened seemingly over night and it was all over and the world was never the same since.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Richard Hakluyt

Pity you are too young to remember it clearly, it was a great day  :cool:

There were a number of them round about that time, it was wonderful watching the Evil Empire lose it's grip throughout Eastern Europe  :D

Valmy

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 09, 2009, 12:38:35 PM
There were a number of them round about that time, it was wonderful watching the Evil Empire lose it's grip throughout Eastern Europe  :D

One of my father's friends in school was a Romanian immigrant, I remember my dad bringing home a bottle of champagne when he heard Nicolae Ceauşescu was dead.  It was Christmas as I recall.

That era was rather unique as good news just kept coming.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Warspite

" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Zanza

Quote from: garbon on November 09, 2009, 12:35:04 PM
I was going to go the celebration being held, but I didn't feel like standing in the cold to see Lech Walesa and Bon Jovi. :huh:
Hillary was there too. ;)

What are you doing in Berlin? It's a lousy time of the year to visit unless you are there especially for these celebrations.

garbon

Quote from: Zanza on November 09, 2009, 12:57:54 PM
What are you doing in Berlin? It's a lousy time of the year to visit unless you are there especially for these celebrations.

Actually I've decided to leave my hotel as soon as I finish working. I'm in Berlin for work. And yes, I am freezing!

garbon

Quote from: Zanza on November 09, 2009, 12:57:54 PM
Hillary was there too. ;)

I'll admit that I bought the issue of Time with Hillary on the front as soon as I saw it.  With the current exchange rate, I paid about $7 for Time. :Embarrass:

Josquius

The price of East Germany memorabilia has gone through the roof :(
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

I was in both West and East Berlin in August 1989.  There was a place near the Brandenburg gate where memorial crosses were erected to commemorate people who had been shot trying to cross the wall.  I saw that one of the crosses was dated just a few months earlier.

Seeing East Berlin was a real experience.  Everything and everyone was lifeless compared to the dynamic atmosphere of West Berlin.  I would never have guessed that something so momentus would happen just weeks later.

Seeing the wall come down on TV was a very moving moment.

On a personal note it sure makes me feel old to hear the interviews of germans in their teens and early twenties who really dont have much of an idea of how important this event was.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on November 09, 2009, 12:44:29 PM
That era was rather unique as good news just kept coming.

It was like everything and anything was possible now that the cold war was ending.  How did we go so wrong? :(