20th anniversary of the Fall of the Berlin Wall

Started by Zanza, November 09, 2009, 12:33:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: stjaba on November 11, 2009, 12:28:55 PMI'm sure Americans spend more on tourism, international or otherwise, than Germans.

I seriously doubt this is the case.  In my experience traveling Americans are very rare and Germans are common. 

stjaba

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on November 11, 2009, 02:46:54 PM
Quote from: stjaba on November 11, 2009, 12:28:55 PMI'm sure Americans spend more on tourism, international or otherwise, than Germans.

I seriously doubt this is the case.  In my experience traveling Americans are very rare and Germans are common.

Maybe internationally. But Americans do plenty of travelling within the US.

Admiral Yi

Warspite

Quote from: stjaba on November 11, 2009, 12:28:55 PM
Quote from: Zanza on November 11, 2009, 12:12:04 PM
Quote from: stjaba on November 11, 2009, 12:08:22 PMDoes international travel mean outside of Germany, or outside of Europe?
Outside of Germany. Why would it mean outside of Europe?  :huh:

It's just a weird comparison between Germany and the United States. Germany is surrounded by many countries within close driving or train distance, compared to the US, in which that is only true for people who live close to Mexico or Canada. I'm sure Americans spend more on tourism, international or otherwise, than Germans. IMO A more "equal" comparison would be money spent per capita on inter-continental travel, but that would harder to quantify

Equal comparison in what sense? Drive for 400 miles from your hometown in Europe and you will likely be in a country with a completely different language, religion and culture. Drive for 400 miles in North America and you're at the next truck stop :p
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Ed Anger

I miss the days I could just get in the jeep and drive in any direction for a couple of hours. Just for the hell of it.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

citizen k

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 11, 2009, 04:23:46 PM
I miss the days I could just get in the jeep and drive in any direction for a couple of hours. Just for the hell of it.

You can still do that. You just need to remember the car seats.

garbon

Quote from: Warspite on November 11, 2009, 04:05:36 PM
Drive for 400 miles in North America and you're at the next truck stop :p

SF to Los Angeles: ~400 miles ;)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadImmortalMan

You can't get credit for visiting Belgium if I don't get credit for visiting Chicago or Portland.  :P

There are different states in our federation too.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Richard Hakluyt

Whenever  there is an article in the press about tourism to Britain they always talk about American and Japanese tourists being particularly prized. The reason for that is their spend per day, which far exceeds the amount most Europeans spend per day. But then, their annual holiday entitlement is rather limited, whereas Europeans may well be taking several weeks abroad every year, so need to be relatively parsimonious.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 11, 2009, 01:56:38 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 11, 2009, 11:39:03 AM
I know one Euro nationality that travels and that is the Germans.  You cannot go to any tourist destination in the US without running into a bunch of Germans with the obvious exception of those places only interesting to Americans like Gettysburg.

The Germans I saw going apeshit at the WWII German displays at the Air Force Museum was hilarious.
Why were they going apeshit?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

citizen k

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 13, 2009, 04:16:59 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on November 11, 2009, 01:56:38 PM
The Germans I saw going apeshit at the WWII German displays at the Air Force Museum was hilarious.
Why were they going apeshit?

OH NOES! THE CARPET BOMBING111

The Larch

I'm recalling a bit on the major city visiting in your own country thingie and came to realize I've never been to Bilbao, and only very briefly to Sevilla.  :mellow: All other big cities and most mid-size cities I've visited.

Duque de Bragança

Never been to the south of the Mondego (except  for changing planes at Lisbon).

Havn't been to Marseilles but then it isn't really France and there isn't much to see there, specially for a Parisian :D

Alatriste

I read today that the night the Wall fell François Mitterrand half expected the Austrians to join the feast... and having lived through the World War, he didn't enjoy the idea of having a new Great Germany (BDR + DDR + Austria) appear on the map of Europe overnight! (and we can laugh at his unfounded fears, but certainly the fall of the wall unleashed a long process of redrawing borders in Eastern Europe, most of them pacific, but some in Yugoslavia could have belonged to 1939-1945).