20th anniversary of the Fall of the Berlin Wall

Started by Zanza, November 09, 2009, 12:33:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Caliga on November 10, 2009, 09:10:17 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 10, 2009, 09:03:34 AM
I'm really not sure which group of people travel more than the other, but the travelling to every major city in their country is certainly not something most Europeans would contemplate. That means I'd have to spend my holidays in places like Birmingham and Nottingham, which would be madness when i can so easily travel to France, Spain, Germany..  :D
I dunno, I just figured you'd been to, say, Birmingham on business or to visit cousins or for a class trip or something. :ph34r:

We are not allowed to travel more than 5 miles from our village without our lord's permission, except on a pilgrimage or a holy crusade. :P

Martinus

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 10, 2009, 09:22:49 AM
Quote from: Malthus on November 10, 2009, 09:14:31 AM
This is odd indeed. Though I'd make an exception for the Great Depression & the War--that had an impact on people that lived through it far beyond the mere anxiety factor. To the end of her days, my grandmother stored away bits of string and elastic bands, in case the Great Depression came back ...

My grandpa was the same; used to save paper bags to write shopping lists and notes on, kept little heels of soap then welded them together to make a new bar.......and so on. This despite the fact that he got a good job in 1934 and was financially secure from that point on. Of course the 1920s were really bad for him.

My grandma was the same, only that in her case it made sense because there were constant shortages of stuff under the communist rule too. :P

On the other hand, the Great Depression barely touched Poland. In times like that (or the current financial crisis) it pays off to be backward. :P

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on November 11, 2009, 05:20:30 AM
On the other hand, the Great Depression barely touched Poland. In times like that (or the current financial crisis) it pays off to be backward. :P

Yay for always having a low quality of life?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Larch

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 10, 2009, 09:22:49 AM
Quote from: Malthus on November 10, 2009, 09:14:31 AM
This is odd indeed. Though I'd make an exception for the Great Depression & the War--that had an impact on people that lived through it far beyond the mere anxiety factor. To the end of her days, my grandmother stored away bits of string and elastic bands, in case the Great Depression came back ...

My grandpa was the same; used to save paper bags to write shopping lists and notes on, kept little heels of soap then welded them together to make a new bar.......and so on. This despite the fact that he got a good job in 1934 and was financially secure from that point on. Of course the 1920s were really bad for him.

My grandma was the same, only that in her case it made sense because there were constant shortages of stuff under the communist rule too. :P

For my maternal grandmother, it was the post war what tipped her over the sanity edge regarding the hoarding of apparently useless stuff. That and the attitude towards food, no part of a chicken is disgusting enough not to get eaten for her. Luckily she didn't pass that to the next generation, but she did pass the "no food can ever be wasted" mentality.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on November 11, 2009, 05:37:03 AM

Yay for always having a low quality of life?

Last time I heard you complained about the quality of yours.

The Larch

In order to get things back on track, here's the Hoff contributing to the fall of the Berlin Wall.  :P

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on November 11, 2009, 05:46:40 AM
Last time I heard you complained about the quality of yours.
Uncalled for and irrelevant.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: The Larch on November 11, 2009, 07:22:11 AM
In order to get things back on track, here's the Hoff contributing to the fall of the Berlin Wall.  :P

germany is never going to be free of the hoff is it :p

Syt

He was pretty pissed off about not being mentioned in a museum about the fall of the wall, because he thinks that "Looking for Freedom" was the anthem of the day.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

HVC

Quote from: Syt on November 11, 2009, 08:02:21 AM

He was pretty pissed off about not being mentioned in a museum about the fall of the wall, because he thinks that "Looking for Freedom" was the anthem of the day.
He's a fall down drunk now, so it doesn't matter if he's mad.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Caliga

Quote from: Martinus on November 11, 2009, 05:18:02 AM
We are not allowed to travel more than 5 miles from our village without our lord's permission, except on a pilgrimage or a holy crusade. :P
Here's a case of mead.  Now, go forth to Bratislava, young man!  :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 10, 2009, 08:24:57 AM
Americans travel a lot more then the Euros, especially domestically.

How is that possible when they get so much more paid vacation than we do?  I thought they all got August off to tramp around the world.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

Not in their cultures I guess.

Americans travel a lot & move even more. Just look at Thanksgiving.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on November 09, 2009, 05:33:26 PM

Sounds like a description of "The Village" from The Prisoner;)

Havent read it but likely the author saw East Berlin also....