News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Swedish Sexual education

Started by Ape, November 04, 2009, 10:37:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grallon

Quote from: Martinus on November 04, 2009, 12:07:44 PM

I explained why stop there - because anal sex is for gay people the equivalent of vaginal sex for straight people. Unless you propose that sex ed. should be for straight people only, it seems pretty sensible to tell kids the basics about gay sex as well.

Especially since this is an exploration phase for many.  Anything can be said if its done in the proper way.  Besides any sexed is better than the prudish denials that 'kids' (read 14+) dont have a sexual life we hear so often in North America.

I should move to Sweden and become a teacher  :P

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Martinus

Quote from: Malthus on November 04, 2009, 12:10:58 PM
When I was a kid, I'd have died of embarrasment if some teachers tried to teach the finer points of anal sex.  :D Strikes me as something more likely to be fodder for juvinile hilarity than a serious teaching moment, though I can't see any real harm in it. Maybe some kid will pick up useful pointers.

He is not teaching finer points of anal sex - he is giving the most basic knowledge about anal sex that is necessary to prevent serious health risk when engaging in it.

Unless you believe that sex ed. should be only for straight kids, or that gay sex should have a higher age of consent than hetero sex, I fail to see how this is less "serious teaching" than teaching kids how not to catch an STD or get pregnant while having vaginal sex.

Martinus

Quote from: Grallon on November 04, 2009, 12:13:12 PM

I explained why stop there - because anal sex is for gay people the equivalent of vaginal sex for straight people. Unless you propose that sex ed. should be for straight people only, it seems pretty sensible to tell kids the basics about gay sex as well.

Especially since this is an exploration phase for many.  Anything can be said if its done in the proper way.  Besides any sexed is better than the prudish denials that 'kids' (read 14+) dont have a sexual life we hear so often in North America.

G.

Comments in this thread are kinda a chilling reminder why gay men face so much homophobia, considering people see anal sex as a foible at best, or an equivalent to sticking gerbils up your anus at worst.

Josephus

When I was a kid I didn't know anal sex existed.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Quote from: Martinus on November 04, 2009, 12:15:01 PM

G.

Comments in this thread are kinda a chilling reminder why gay men face so much homophobia, considering people see anal sex as a foible at best, or an equivalent to sticking gerbils up your anus at worst.

Who said anything about "at worst."

I'd have a hard time chosing between having a gerbil or some other guys' cock up my ass. I'm not homophobic, or anything...I'm just saying they both seem pretty foreign to me.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Martinus

Quote from: Josephus on November 04, 2009, 12:15:27 PM

So only because you (or for that fact, most of us) were raised in homophobic ignorance, today's kids should suffer the same? I am not sure I get your point.

Eddie Teach

I thought gay sex was like sword-fighting.  :lol:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

Quote from: Josephus on November 04, 2009, 12:16:57 PM

G.

Who said anything about "at worst."

I'd have a hard time chosing between having a gerbil or some other guys' cock up my ass. I'm not homophobic, or anything...I'm just saying they both seem pretty foreign to me.

I feel the same about putting my dick in someone's vagina. Again, not sure I get your point. Unless of course it's that sex ed. should be only for hetero kids, so that gay kids should live in shame, engage in sexual practices in a furtive and improper manner, hurt themselves and eventually die of AIDS.

Martinus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 04, 2009, 12:18:36 PM

I thought gay sex was like sword-fighting.  :lol:

We call it "dick docking". :p

Grallon

Double standards are alive and well in Straightlandia I know. 

I guess it all depends on how you define 'sexual education'; if it's to foist your conservative agenda of abstinence and moral guilt trips then it means one thing; if on the other hand you define it as an education on sexual matters than it should include techniques as well as contextual information.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Malthus

Quote from: Martinus on November 04, 2009, 12:13:50 PM
Quote from: Malthus on November 04, 2009, 12:10:58 PM
When I was a kid, I'd have died of embarrasment if some teachers tried to teach the finer points of anal sex.  :D Strikes me as something more likely to be fodder for juvinile hilarity than a serious teaching moment, though I can't see any real harm in it. Maybe some kid will pick up useful pointers.

He is not teaching finer points of anal sex - he is giving the most basic knowledge about anal sex that is necessary to prevent serious health risk when engaging in it.

Unless you believe that sex ed. should be only for straight kids, or that gay sex should have a higher age of consent than hetero sex, I fail to see how this is less "serious teaching" than teaching kids how not to catch an STD or get pregnant while having vaginal sex.

I'm cool with it. I just don't think many will find it useful. My reaction would be the same to oral and vaginal sex details - that is, most kids will not really learn much from public education on the matter, but it cannot hurt.

What does age of consent have to do with anything?

Anyway, anal sex isn't restricted to gay folks, and not all gay folks do it, as you know.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grallon

Quote from: Martinus on November 04, 2009, 12:20:10 PM

We call it "dick docking". :p

Sword fighting has a nobler ring to it.  ;)

G.

~Jean-François Revel

Josephus

Quote from: Martinus on November 04, 2009, 12:19:31 PM

I feel the same about putting my dick in someone's vagina. Again, not sure I get your point. Unless of course it's that sex ed. should be only for hetero kids, so that gay kids should live in shame, engage in sexual practices in a furtive and improper manner, hurt themselves and eventually die of AIDS.

You know how Neil would respond to that. :)

No. My point is where do we draw the line? You are harping on anal sex. I'm saying. Why stop there. There is a signifcant portion of the population that engages in things other than vaginal or anal sex.  Do they teach how to give a good hand job? Why not? Why not teach people how to have safe orgies. Or to have safe S and M.

If you have to teach sex ed, then go all the way.

I'm not making light of anal sex--my point is...why stop with vaginal and anal sex then?
Civis Romanus Sum

Maximus

Uhm, did you not read what I said? There is a bit of a difference between anal sex and sticking gerbils up your anus.

Are you suggesting that anal gerbilophiles shouldn't receive safe sex training? After all, that's the equivalent for them to anal for gays.

Caliga

I think the final in any such class should be a giant orgy. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points